warming up the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the vehicle/engine. For instance: the Rav4 4cyl can be started after sitting all night in 0F and in 1 minute is ready to roll. My 4runner 4.0l V6 takes 2-3 minutes to get to the same level. The Lexus V6 takes about 1-2 minutes to come down off the 1500 rpm idle. All 3 are different.

If the windows are clear I start the car and drive away slowly. By the time I get to the highway I start to get a little heat. If the windows are frosted over I let the car warm up while I scrape them off.

This morning it was -9 outside. From an unheated garage I started the car, put my seat belt on and drove off normally.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
My Subaru has a "Coolant temperature indicator light" which always remains lit when the engine is started in cold weather...usually for a couple of miles. The manual states "Blue illumination indicates insufficient warming up of the engine and the light turns off when the engine is warmed up sufficiently."

Now I know there is a difference between oil and coolant temperatures but this is the first time I've seen such a light and believe me when I tell you it remains lit for quite a while (5+ minutes idling and around 2-3 miles driving). I am quite a firm believer that newer cars only need 15-30 seconds of run time before driving.

Many years ago I had a 1966 Ford Country Sedan wagon that had a cold coolant temperature light on the dash. It also had the "Magic" door gate-it could both swing out or open flat.

Giving your car at least a couple of minutes to warm up is not a bad idea. Not so much for the engine, but for the power steering pump, suspension, etc...

For many drivers the first thing they do is crank the steering wheel all the way to one side when they back out of their driveway. I can't help but believe that giving the hundro fluid a minute or two to circulate and "warm up" adds life to your P/S pump bearings.

the rule of thumb i tell my friends is to wait for it to idle down. Many cars have a raised idle when they are cold; for instance my volvo starts out cold at 1100rpm and after about a minute in 30 degree weather the coolant temp needle gains life and the rpms drop to the normal idle of 800rpms.

The warming up concept is solid but you don't need to do it by idling your car. Drive it at low RPMs until the temp gague gets to the operating temperature and your car will be happy!

You're doing much better than the morons who use their remort start then get in their car 20 mins later. [/quote]

So am I the moron because I have to defrost my windows in the 4+ months of below 30 degree Chicago weather? Atleast I dont street race in a Yaris

Originally Posted By: spursfan600
You're doing much better than the morons who use their remort start then get in their car 20 mins later.

So am I the moron because I have to defrost my windows in the 4+ months of below 30 degree Chicago weather? Atleast I dont street race in a Yaris

I don't mean to be rude, but what's wrong with just using an ice scraper?

I slightly touch the steering wheel during my 90 sec. morning warm-up. I think that slight load is good for circulation and warming-up. May be regulating for the engine too.

Waking up the car the way you'd like to be woken, rather slowly.

With the temps we've seen the last couple weeks (-10 to -24 degrees below zero) there's no way I'm starting up my vehicles without warming them up at least until the idle drops down to 900-1000rpm. If that means I'm waiting 5-15 minutes,so be it
56.gif

As stiff and rigid and vehicles become when their outdoors in extreme temps,the extra warmup time doesnt hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
With the temps we've seen the last couple weeks (-10 to -24 degrees below zero) there's no way I'm starting up my vehicles without warming them up at least until the idle drops down to 900-1000rpm. If that means I'm waiting 5-15 minutes,so be it
56.gif

As stiff and rigid and vehicles become when their outdoors in extreme temps,the extra warmup time doesnt hurt a thing.

I feel the same way, I wait till the rpms get to just under 1000 rpms before I do anything. I don't think taking off with a stick shift idling at 1500 rpms or better does a clutch any good. Dropping an auto tranny into Drive or Reverse at the same idle speed isn't to good either. JMO But people are doing it all the time.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
56.gif

I feel the same way, I wait till the rpms get to just under 1000 rpms before I do anything. I don't think taking off with a stick shift idling at 1500 rpms or better does a clutch any good. Dropping an auto tranny into Drive or Reverse at the same idle speed isn't to good either. JMO But people are doing it all the time.

I concur!
55.gif

Originally Posted By: cornfused
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
56.gif

I concur!
55.gif

I also agree, I wait untill the coolant temp meter starts moving. Possibly argued both ways could be using the same amount of gas, if the ECM is richening up the fuel mixture untill 160*f+ or so. Less energy is required to spin a 20lb flywheel, than an entire vehicle?

I tried this morning for S&G taking off with the 5 speed stick 4.9L E-150 I have. It's an 88 and it wasn't happy with the thought of backing down the driveway right after a cold start. It's a little sloppy if you try to take off too soon. It needs to run about 2 minutes when its cold out. I let it warm up a little. Gas is cheap compared to replacing a clutch.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The less time you warm it up in the winter, the less gas you'll use. If you're not hopping right onto the highway, just keep the rpms under 2000 and dont go into 4th or overdrive for 5 mins. You're doing much better than the morons who use their remort start then get in their car 20 mins later.

Wow, thanks now I am a moron. That hurts

Some people consider that a waste of resources since the car will warm up quicker if you just drive it, like a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back