Fuel dilution - 1.9 mile commute. Let idle before leaving?

Does the common suggestion to drive for longer to “get rid” of fuel in oil have any merit?

I don’t think we’d see so many diluted samples if it did. Operating temp of oil averages 200-250F and the flash point of fuel is basically double that. I think once it is in there it is pretty much gonna stay unless you change the oil.

Flash point and vaporization temp are not the same thing. Gasoline or rather certain components of gasoline start to boil around 100C. Which coincidentally or not is the temp around which most engines keep the oil temp.

Interesting. Does this translates to “getting the fuel out” or just being better than not doing it?

Most engines have a cold start at least once a day. Cold starts are the worst for fuel dilution. Cold engine, cold fuel, cold air are not conducive to vaporizing fuel, which is what burns not the liquid gasoline itself.

Take two identical engines, one started and driven for say 45 minutes at highway speeds, another started and short tripped for say 10 minutes. If that exact cycle was maintained throughout the OCI, you would see much more fuel in the short tripped engine.

So compound multiple short trips on a cold engine, every time you start the engine cold you are dumping fuel into the oil. So the effect can compound in the sense you haven't burned off the fuel from the first cold start of the day, then latter in the day you start it again and dump more fuel into the oil.

Some engines are more prone to this than others, but every engine does it to a certain extent.

Does the common suggestion to drive for longer to “get rid” of fuel in oil have any merit?

I don’t think we’d see so many diluted samples if it did. Operating temp of oil averages 200-250F and the flash point of fuel is basically double that. I think once it is in there it is pretty much gonna stay unless you change the oil.

My extensive UOA testing on several vehicles from years ago suggests to me that once dilution occurs, no amount of normal usage will mitigate it. Enough of the fuel constituents will remain to show up in the oil. I suspect that one reason for this is the modern automobiles I have owned seem to be designed to run somewhat "cold." (Perhaps as a method to ward off heat degradation and prolong oil life.) Some of my vehicles would only register 212°F oil temp during extremely hot weather in stop and go traffic. Normal oil temps would generally be below 190°F. And it took at least 30 minutes for it to get there. Sure temps at some hot spots would be more than that but evidently not long enough to have the desired effect.

My take, gotta live with it and do shorter intervals. It is called severe service use.

We get more diluted samples nowadays because of direct injection being commonplace.

I make a lot of short tips every week. I generally drive in a lower gear (2nd or 3rd) and often take the long route home. I think that may help somewhat. Regardless, I do try to get out on the road several times a month for a long trip. I also keep the OCIs short.
I should have mentioned that my car is port-injected, so fuel dilution is not an issue for me.

What I can not get over with ours is that even with keeping up with the routine flushing and fresh coolant, plus the engine temp gage never seen reading higher than normal , the amount of heat this engine throws off once shutdown and parked in the garage. I often open the hood once we park it to try to dissipate some of that heat quicker. A retired Honda tech and a couple guys I knew with their own Indy shop told me they did this with some of their personal vehiciles.

Update.... Stopped letting it warm up before leaving. Last oil sample sample showed almost no fuel dilution. So it was the letting it warm up before leaving that caused it.

Good to know. I get it up to temp and wind it out at least every couple days, if not every day, but my thought process it I know it runs very, very rich on cold map. So it sounds like the general suggestion is, don't worry about getting it to hit rich map on the commute. Just every now and then get it up to operating temp
You are doing fine if you are getting it up to temp relatively often.

No need to do anything out of the ordinary.

I have an NB2 Miata. My commute is 2 miles each way.. My oil reports (blackstone) are coming back with somewhat high (correction, low, 375f and 420f on two samples) flashpoints. I understand that there is debate about the reliability of blackstone's flashpoint for fuel dilution, but my question is more, what is best practice for starting the car in the morning? Typically with any car I let it idle 30-45 seconds, drive easy until oil is warm (about 5 minutes after coolant is up to temp).

But, with such a short commute, there is no way my oil is getting to temp. Should I let it idle longer in the mornings? Take a longer route to work?
Take it for a 30min highway drive once a week or change it earlier.

It's a bit self-indulgent to drive a gas car 1.9 miles, compromising its longevity, then complain about fuel dilution...and you have the option of driving your EV. The Miata is a fun high performing car, yet you ignore that mission during your drive to/from work. You are wasting a nice set of wheels, here.

I find your question and reasoning irrational...a 1st world problem I guess...

Back