Fuel dilution - 1.9 mile commute. Let idle before leaving?

The Miata is a fun high performing car
As a fellow MX-5 owner, I determined this is a lie

I quite enjoyed driving my slow Miata as a commuter before I ultimately built it up to be a monster weekend warrior and track toy. People can drive what they want, when they want, how they want.

I have an NB2 Miata. My commute is 2 miles each way.. My oil reports (blackstone) are coming back with somewhat high (correction, low, 375f and 420f on two samples) flashpoints. I understand that there is debate about the reliability of blackstone's flashpoint for fuel dilution, but my question is more, what is best practice for starting the car in the morning? Typically with any car I let it idle 30-45 seconds, drive easy until oil is warm (about 5 minutes after coolant is up to temp).

But, with such a short commute, there is no way my oil is getting to temp. Should I let it idle longer in the mornings? Take a longer route to work?
Your vehicle was designed to start up and Go.

In my case (Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6 GTDI), my kid's school is a 5 km return trip when school is in session. I'm acutely aware of fuel dilution under these circumstances. Although a waste of time (and gas), I do drive an extra 10 km (15 km total) after drop off to at least get the engine to operating temps. Not foolproof, but I think it's a reason why my last oil analysis came back with no fuel dilution whatsoever.

Back