Warm up idling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Patman, your oil analysis on your Corvette which has enough power to idle up to 80km./h is not the end-all be-all proof that everyone should just drive off.

It's not just my oil analysis on that car though, but the results from my wife's car, my mom's car, my sister's car, anyone I've done oil analysis from. And I'm sure there are lots of people on here who start and go, and post oil analysis results too. My point is, it's foolish of you to suggest that these people are DESTROYING THEIR ENGINES, because they obviously are not.

Quote:

I use Esso XD3 0w30 so I am not using the wrong oil.

Perhaps it is the wrong oil though. It's pretty thick at 40c, so if you were to choose just about any 5w30 oil out there, you'd end up with a thinner viscosity on the cold start. Whether or not it's got the 0w rating means nothing IMO, it's still a pretty thick oil.

Quote:

Your conditions are warm compared to most of Canada. Even here in Sudbury 5 hours north of you we get a lot colder conditions.

True, but it hasn't exactly been too balmy here this past month. Most mornings it's been around -17 to -15C lately. And there have been a lot of times I've started in -20C or colder weather in previous winters too.

Quote:

You know, I was thinking, they have seat heaters, but they don't have steering wheel heaters. Now that would be a nice thing to have.

Cadillacs have them. Wish the Chrysler 300C did.

Has everything else but that.

Last edited:
Quote:

Wish the 300c did i meant.

Man I would kill for the ability to edit my posts.

Click on 'reply" to your own post. Then look in the address bar for "newreply".

Delete that word & enter into that space "editpost".... then click "Go".

A screen will appear with your post - that you can now edit.

Quote:

Quote:

Wish the 300c did i meant.

Man I would kill for the ability to edit my posts.

Click on 'reply" to your own post. Then look in the address bar for "newreply".

Delete that word & enter into that space "editpost".... then click "Go".

A screen will appear with your post - that you can now edit.

wicked....nice tip!
cheers.gif

OK guys I have to agree with Patman for sure. In all the vehicles I have owned, I never let them idle. Just start and go, I take it easy of course till it gets to normal operating temp and have never had problems. My last car was a 1990 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo and it had over 450,000KM on it before the floor boards rusted away. I have always used Castrol GTX till recently switching to XD3 last year. I am getting nervous now I hear it might be too thick for my Civic.

I let mine warm up. In fact it seems to have a cold weather warm up cycle programed in. It's a 2002 Chevy Impala. When I start it on cold day's it idles at a higher RPM than normal for a couple of minutes. As soon as the temp gauge needle starts to move up the RPM starts to decrease back to normal. When this happens you can just start to feel heat of the heater duct's and I figure it has warmed up enough to drive it then.

My personal feeling on the subject is that more harm is caused by driving on a extremely cold engine than is caused by a short couple of minute warm up time.

Quote:

I can't help but think that the ones who condemn warm-ups have no idea what's its like to jump in a car that's been sitting outside in 20 below temps overnight.

We've just had 2 weeks of single digit and lower temps here. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm one of those who justs lets the oil flow through for about 10-15 seconds and drives off, staying below 2000RPM as much as possible for the first few minutes. Some things like the clutch, suspension, and steering don't warm up until they are driven.

Quote:

We've just had 2 weeks of single digit and lower temps here. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm one of those who justs lets the oil flow through for about 10-15 seconds and drives off, staying below 2000RPM as much as possible for the first few minutes. Some things like the clutch, suspension, and steering don't warm up until they are driven.

same here...warms up faster and you definitely want to take it slow the first few miles.

Geeez, getting all worked up about a simple thinkg like that!!! Simple, neither extreme is good. Don't idle for 10 min - waste of fuel, and don't idle for less than 10 sec - damage. Of course, the temperature affects this value. Of course, if it is below 0F you need to give it 1-2 minutes.

Here in Ottawa we are below 0F most mornings. I am pretty sure that many/most drivers don't have the patiences and simply don't care about engine noise, but get into their cars and gun it. I get passed all the time! Consider women driving their kids to day care. You think she is going to sit in the car letting engine warm up while children are freezing in the back? #@$%! no.

As I don't see too many stalled cars here I have to assume that engines are very resiliant to both kind of abuse - too little and too much idling.

As everyone pointed out, there are different method and approaches. There is no single answer. I myself use anywhere between 20 seconds and 10 min. Tonight was cold so this morning I let the engine idle for about 10 min while dropping off kid at day care. That way I can drive to work at full speed. Going back home it is warmer. I only give it about 20 sec and simply drive using minimum load. I have about 10 klicks to highway, plenty of time for engine to warmup. So it all depends. Are you in a rush? Is traffic light and you can drive slowly? etc.

Regardless of engine damage, excessive idling is simply a huge waste of fuel. I don't care how little it costs, there are a lot of young men in Iraq fighting for it and we owe them to try to minimuze our consumption. If your #@$%! is cold then dress better, use more layers, etc. Sure I have problems with frost and ice and visibility, but I always manage without idling for 10 minutes.

Anyway that is my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back