Want to use a flush "tee" in a 99 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to put a Prestone flush "tee" in a 99 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan. I've installed them in several cars before, but can't seem to find out which hose is the heater core "inlet". On any illustration I've been able to find, they are only labeled as "upper" and "lower". I called the dealer, but could only get a parts guy on the phone and he said he thought it was the lower hose. That just doesn't seem right, and I sure don't want to screw up my Mom's car. She brags to all of her friends how lucky she is to have a son who is so mechanically inclined. I guess I've got her fooled LOL! Thanks for any help!

Don't use the flush tee. If there is no corosion in the rad drain and refill it and be done. Why cut up a good hose and have a potential for a leak. If you have to flush just pull the lower hose off, and drain, refill and repeat until clean. Most of your modern cooling systems don't need flushing like they used to if they are changed at regular intervals. Those tee's are not needed in my opinion a waste of money, if i bought one and couldn't use it or return it I would throw it in the trash.

Let me first say I enjoy reading your very honest post. Truthfully the toughest part of using the flushing T can be locating the correct hose.

The correct hose also says the one that runs from fire wall to top of engine. In the old days that could be rather easy to locate, these days with transverse engines and front wheel drive, it can be more difficult. But, the one the runs to the top of the engine is also the one that runs to/from the thermostat/water pump.

Reading this Bitog thread may help you as the diagram for you 99 is quite similar. Below is the diagram for your vehicle. In the linked thread folks seem to think it was hose #2.

fwiw, before aluminum blocks and heads I used a flushing T all the time and was very satified, great method. But, now I use the multiple drain and distilled water fill method. But, if your water is fairly soft I suppose it would be ok, other folks here with newer cars use it so...
21.gif
Good Luck. HTH.

One last point, you should use full strength, not premix, with the flushing T method.

13S840_B1731.gif

Thanks for the replies! I showed the diagram to my mechanic buddy, and he said it was hose #4. He said that usually the core flow is top to bottom, to avoid clogging the core. That's the one I'll use, and report back.

I'm not so sure your mechanic is correct I think hose 3/7 is the inlet. If hose 4 is going to where I think it is it is tee-ing into where the bottom hose also connects. This would be the suction or heater outlet side. It's not the end of the world if you put the flush T in the wrong heater hose though, it will still flush.

Quote:
I'm not so sure your mechanic is correct ...
+1 Sticking with the #2 or 3 in the pic, lead to/from the tstat area. Also the linked thread shows an illustration and the OP in that thread came up with corresponding #2. That said, though I've never done it using the other hose if mechx says either will work, should be ok.

As usual, you guys are right! He thought it was #4, but it is in fact #'s 2 and 3. #2 was considerably hotter after driving the car with the climate control off.

I'd probably put the T-flush in a straight section in line 2 to get it ahead of the heater control valve so it will direct a lot of flow through it to clean it good. It's not a big deal where you put the T-flush but I think the idea is to have it between the T-stat and the heater core to direct maximum flow flushing the heater core. I have to admit I've accidentally installed one in the outlet line before but it still worked fine lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back