Want to switch to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 F-150 FX2 with the 5.0 Coyote motor. Bought it used with 90,000 miles on it. I have had the oil changed three times at Kwick Kar and asked for Valvoline. What I'm wondering about is can I switch directly to a synthetic? Or do I need to use a semi synthetic for one change? Plus I live in Texas and it's very hot here. I beat this engine as much as I can. Can I use a different winter rating in a synthetic and get more protection? Or just use the winter rating Ford says to use?

Thanks

Switching directly to synthetic should be no issue at all.
Unless you plan to take your truck up North in the winter to ski or whatever, 0WXX and 5WXX oils are probably not helping you at all and you might get a lower NOACK loss (measure the tendency of the oil to vaporize under extreme heat) going with something like a 10WXX oil of the same brand and general quality....maybe even 15WXX or 20WXX would be fine, depending on where you live in TX and how far you stray from home in the winter.

Running 5w20 in Texas (or other hot climates) in Ford modular motors is fine and has been borne out by many used oil analyses.

There was a guy a while ago who was doing analysis of his F150 towing in the summertime, he lived in Yuma, AZ, average summer temp 115F and using 5w20, analysis came out fine.

When you change your oil, you never get all the old oil out anyways, so even if you switch to a full synthetic, the oil that's in the engine after you put the new oil in will end up being a synthetic blend anyways.

..and even if it wasn't, it won't hurt anything to make the switch to full synth.

You'll have no issues with synthetic.

I switched my Camry to synthetic at 205k miles. I've used synthetic in my 96' Jeep several times and my grandparent's 02' Trailblazer is on synthetic.

No leaks at all.

Ok, all good answers. I just wanted to switch to Synthetic as I assumed it to be better oil especially in the Texas heat and beating on this thing regularly.

Depends on how hard you beat on it, really, as well as how long you go between oil changes. Depending on your driving habits and OCI length, you might be just fine with a good, stout, conventional or semi-synthetic blend.

If you only go 5,000 miles between oil changes, then I'd be willing to bet that you could stick with conventional and be just fine... but if you plan on going 8,000 miles.. 10,000 miles.. or longer.. it might be worthwhile to step up to a semi-synth or full synthetic.

Heck, for that matter, why not go with something like Rotella 10w-30?

Originally Posted By: VSAWMike
I have a 2012 F-150 FX2 with the 5.0 Coyote motor. Bought it used with 90,000 miles on it.

What I'm wondering about is can I switch directly to a synthetic? Or do I need to use a semi synthetic for one change? Plus I live in Texas and it's very hot here. I beat this engine as much as I can. Can I use a different winter rating in a synthetic and get more protection? Or just use the winter rating Ford says to use?

Thanks

Direct switch ok.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
In Texas I would run any 10w-30 that suits your budget. I'm in FL and it never gets cold enough to need 5w or 0w

Agreed....10w30 probably be fine year round.

Last edited:
Those engines aren't picky. I would run Valvoline synpower 5w30 year round. I'm in Waco and it never gets cold here.
Broc, he mentioned Valvoline, I assume the synthetic he wants to run is Synpower, a Group III,hydrocracked oil.

By the way, I also own 8 Mazda B series trucks. One is my work truck. Just had the head rebuilt. I was considering synthetic for it. But on the Mazda forums I get lots of people saying it may create leaks. Understandable with the age of it and not ever being rebuilt. It has 225K on it. When I pulled the head the pistons were clean. I use RXP in the fuel to keep the carbon out. I didn't see any large amount of wear but I have only had it since it was at 146K miles. The guy had all the receipts for repairs and tires etc. It's been well taken care of.

I am also considering installing a long block in another one of them and I think I will try synthetic in it. I would assume with all new gaskets and seals I should be fine and it be much better for the engine. Thoughts?

Any synthetic isn't better than any conventional...

Is there a specific issue you want to adress by using synthetic oil? If it were mine, and I could see no traces of oil degradation I'd stay with what worked for 225k miles.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Define synthetic first ... USA marketing labeling, or actual PAO based oil?

Name a synthetic that is 100% PAO??

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Define synthetic first ... USA marketing labeling, or actual PAO based oil?

Name a synthetic that is 100% PAO??

It's my new oil, unobtainalube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back