Wanna see a turbo do a magic trick? (UOA PUP 5W-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scm

Okay so the title is obvious, it's a turbo, of course it's going to be hard on anything you put in it.

For reference, Hyundai (for MY2019) recommends 5W-30/5W-40 SN oil every 6K, nothing about ACEA A5/B5 like it did in the wife's 2016 Tucson with the same 1.6L Gamma Turbo (with a 5K interval)

Overall, I'm thinking about moving to a oil with a higher cSt Viscosity @ 100C since PUP starts out at 10.3 and got knocked down to a 7.83. Maybe RGT since it's handily available? Otherwise I might be hopping on Rotella MV 5W-30...

UOA - Hyundai Kona-1.jpg

I have the same engine. Follow the "severe" interval on this engine of 3k miles and a good 5w30 Syn will stay in grade, just barely. Cut the interval to 3-4K max.

Hyundai GDI engines are rough on the oil and can dilute. 3.5% fuel is fairly high.

Your wear numbers are pretty good considering the viscosity loss, so lubrication is still good but there isn't much margin for error.

Try a 4K mile run on same lube and see how that looks.

Last edited:
The 3.5% is surprising. I'm about to do the Tucson within the next day or two, sending off a sample (same oil, sub 5K miles) and am curious to see if it is still high.

Edit - Actually, I think I goofed up on sampling by moving the car onto the ramps and then turning it off. ...³

Matters not... the issue is still the same.

Last edited:
I'd have a look at Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. My bet is it will do better in that application than the PU did, and any of the Mobil 1 products offered in that grade. It is closer to a 40 grade oil too. Warranty compliance you might also want to check, although that wouldn't concern "me."

Oil got beat up by dilution, not Ultra Platinum. Move to a thicker 5w30 SN Plus Dexos 1 Gen2 oil like Quaker State Ultimate. Only run it for 3-4K - not 4.1K. If dilution is way above norm at 4K, then have it repaired/serviced.

Last edited:
Also surprised to see that level of fuel dilution in a warm weather vehicle, I would guess the OPer is not spending lots of time idling his car while he is scraping the windows!
Doesn't this level of dilution sometimes turn out to be due to a leaky fuel injector?
Probably a good question for Trav...

PUP is on the thinner side of 30wt so I'm not really surprised , Good choice would be Rotella Multi Vehicle being its in the thicker side.

Originally Posted by JustinSL
PUP is on the thinner side of 30wt so I'm not really surprised , Good choice would be Rotella Multi Vehicle being its in the thicker side.

5W30 PUP is in the middle. Last VOA I saw was 10.3 cst@100

I'm having a virgin PUP 5W30 analyzed this week. Hoping to show results here within two weeks. That's if I can figure out how to post it on the VOA board.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Also surprised to see that level of fuel dilution in a warm weather vehicle, I would guess the OPer is not spending lots of time idling his car while he is scraping the windows!

I loathe idling. I rarely use the drive thru, and most of my
commute is highway driving.

I'm honestly thinking it could be legit issue, which I'll find out on the next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back