GMC Sierra 2500 HD L8T 6.6 gas - First UOA, PUP 5W-30, 4,500 miles

Those wear numbers are fantastic, almost too good to be true vs the average values on the far right, no?

Even doubling the wear to make up for the difference in mileage (4500 vs 7000), something seems off for such a young engine but I could be wrong.
They are going to re-run the sample to make sure ALL values are correct, cause yes the values are amazing other then viscosity.

Those wear numbers are fantastic, almost too good to be true vs the average values on the far right, no?

Even doubling the wear to make up for the difference in mileage (4500 vs 7000), something seems off for such a young engine but I could be wrong.

It’s obviously a perfectly healthy engine (apart from the obvious slight drinking problem that it has).

Maybe the wife needs to have “The Talk” with it, alone in the garage, to address the problem? 🤭😂🤣🤷🏻‍♂️ You know, threaten to Leave it, if the drinking isn’t kept under control. 😜

It’s obviously a perfectly healthy engine (apart from the obvious slight drinking problem that it has).

Maybe the wife needs to have “The Talk” with it, alone in the garage, to address the problem? 🤭😂🤣🤷🏻‍♂️ You know, threaten to Leave it, if the drinking isn’t kept under control. 😜

The iron and copper are incredible, you'll never find levels that low in a hemi (for example), and for it being such a new engine I find it suspicious that the 6.6 would be that low as well.

There are some guys on the GM forums who tow with their 6.6 and don't burn a drop. I wonder what that is, why some do and some don't. Oil choice? Viscosity? Engine load?

Who should I use next time to get more accurate dilution results?

Well, assuming the Flashpoint is accurate (how can they possibly mess that up?!?!) then I don’t see a reason to chase different Labs over 2, 3, or even 4% fuel in the oil, because as HORRIBLE (😳😲😬🫣) as this percent is made out to be, it’s “technically” perfectly normal THESE DAYS, with modern engines, so I don’t see any reason to freak out about it.

If you had Flashpoint in the mid to low 300s, then yes, there’s an issue with fuel reaching 10% or something absurd like that. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The iron and copper are incredible, you'll never find levels that low in a hemi (for example), and for it being such a new engine I find it suspicious that the 6.6 would be that low as well.

There are some guys on the GM forums who tow with their 6.6 and don't burn a drop. I wonder what that is, why some do and some don't. Oil choice? Viscosity? Engine load?
Luck of the draw, is how I look at it.

This has been happening since the dawn of the automobile.

One owner is perfectly happy with his ride, and praises it everywhere he goes, touting that it’s FLAWLESS, never been to the dealer, doesn’t burn a drop of oil, gets better then EPA gas mileage and has ice cold AC.

Another poor bastard got a Lemon with problem after problem and is ready to go to war with the manufacturer over his oil burning Turd. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have a 2022 Silverado 3500 HD dually chassis cab work with the 6.6 gas that does not burn a drop. Course it’s gotta be my personal truck with this problem 😑. Seems that some do it and some don’t.
the fact that you have A SECOND truck that doesn’t burn any oil further reassures my point that it’s a lottery when buying a vehicle. You just never know if you got a good one, or one assembled on a Monday when everyone was hungover from the weekend. 🤣😂

Luck of the draw, is how I look at it.

This has been happening since the dawn of the automobile.

One owner is perfectly happy with his ride, and praises it everywhere he goes, touting that it’s FLAWLESS, never been to the dealer, doesn’t burn a drop of oil, gets better then EPA gas mileage and has ice cold AC.

Another poor bastard got a Lemon with problem after problem and is ready to go to war with the manufacturer over his oil burning Turd. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed, there is probably a human element to this, but I think there is also something physical going on. My truck also doesn't burn a drop and I tow with it quite a bit, others are adding a quart or so. Very odd.

@hemioiler — well if we were all using one oil, it would definitely point to a mechanical issue if one engine randomly burns oil while hundreds of others aren’t.

But since we have dozens of various oil available, it’s not as easy to point to a mechanical issue as the culprit vs it just being a “thirsty” engine.

@hemioiler — well if we were all using one oil, it would definitely point to a mechanical issue if one engine randomly burns oil while hundreds of others aren’t.

But since we have dozens of various oil available, it’s not as easy to point to a mechanical issue as the culprit vs it just being a “thirsty” engine.
I have a crazy plan in place that I’m not sure will work but what the hell. There is rumor this might be a defective PVC issue on “some” trucks, the PCV valve is built into the driver side valve cover. I just picked up a new valve cover with a different part # and a supposedly revised baffle design underneath . I’m going to swap it in the next week or so. The valve cover was only $68 bucks if this in fact work the ROI will be worth the hassle

Attachments

• 71666824037__B37DEBE3-0A97-4314-ABEF-6CF8A6F7B23F.jpeg
    71666824037__B37DEBE3-0A97-4314-ABEF-6CF8A6F7B23F.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 71666857735__1E254DBE-67C9-4DA6-A739-A58B39758392.jpeg
    71666857735__1E254DBE-67C9-4DA6-A739-A58B39758392.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 35
I am guessing that you checked for leaks? My coworkers 2021 2500 6.6 gas leaked a ton and maybe used oil also to the point he was adding oil a lot.. My 2021 2500 6.6 gas hasnt used any oil in the same amount of miles. I only checked the oil in it the first few months I had it.

I am guessing that you checked for leaks? My coworkers 2021 2500 6.6 gas leaked a ton and maybe used oil also to the point he was adding oil a lot.. My 2021 2500 6.6 gas hasnt used any oil in the same amount of miles. I only checked the oil in it the first few months I had it.
No leaks anywhere, this is my personal truck, she is pampered and lots of upgrades here and there (tires, shocks, off-road lighting, tint etc) definitely don’t wanna just dump it cause of this.

The trucks first oil change was at 1,200 miles, with Mobil 1 5w-30, second change was at 3k with Mobil 1 5w-30 and this is when I started to notice the oil usage. Changed to PUP 5W-30 at 6k miles and it has gotten 4,000-4,500 mile oil changes ever since. Oil usage has been about the same ever since, truck basically just commutes and road trips, with a heavy tow only a few times a year, never towed with it until it had 8,000 miles on it.

I bet a big part of the oil consumption is the 5w-30 oil thinning down to 20 viscosity.

I would try another brand of 5w-30.

I had a 76 Ford F150 with the 360 motor and used havoline in it and it would use a quart every 1500 miles. I switched it to Castrol GTX and used no oil between changes. I never was sure why the Castrol worked so well in that motor but that the only oil that went in it after that. When I bought my 22007 Ram Hemi the previous owner always used Castrol GTX high mileage since he owned it. I continue his policy. It is now at 227K and still uses no oil between changes at 5K miles.

Back