Amsoil ASL 5w-30 - 7.740 Miles - 2003 GMC Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first UOA. How long have I been here!?!
crazy2.gif

Sorry, I don't see how to edit a Blackstone PDF - Bob mail me your e-mail and I'll attach it, edit out my info and re-post if you like. Thanks!

Miles on Amsoil ASL 5w-30: 7,740
Miles on Truck: 178,951
Engine: 5.3L
Gas: Used Premium Non-Oxy most of the time.
Gas Additives: Occasional MMO, Seafoam Amsoil PI
Time in Use: 15 Months

Oil Filter: Amsoil EAO 30
Make-up Oil: 0 Stayed full and never used any!

Air Filter: Amsoil EAA

Usage: I bought this truck new!
thumbsup2.gif
This truck has been driven HARD, but also sat a lot since gas went way up & I bought my Saturn 2 years ago. When I drive it, I tow a 3,000 Lb. Boat for short & long distances. I rarely let it sit for more than 3 weeks without driving it.

Previous concern: Started using a little coolant, but UOA shows no Coolant in the engine.
smile.gif

Blackstone comments: When you mentioned you were losing coolant, we were worried we'd find a bunch in your oil, but that'snot the case. The elements that show coolant are potassium and sodium, both of which read acceptably
low. Universal averages show typical wear levels for the GM 5.3L V-8 after about 5,800 miles, and your longer oil run paired with the towing you mentioned probably explains why metals are just a pinch higher than average, though everything is still within normal ranges. The TBN of 2.6 shows lots of active additive left since 1.0 is too low. Go 9,000 miles next time.

Code:

Aluminum: 4

Chromium: 1

Iron: 30

Copper: 9

Lead: 16

Tin: 0

Moly: 52

Nickel: 2

Manganese: 1

Silver: 0

Titanium: 0

Potassium: 0

Boron: 182

Silicon: 15

Sodium: 9

Calcium: 3204

Magnesium: 13

Phosphorus: 712

Zinc: 881

Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 59.9

cSt Viscosity @ 100C: 10.18

Flashpoint: 400

Fuel%:
Antifreeze: 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.4

TBN: 2.6

Comment away!

Last edited by a moderator:
More info:

Previous fill was Amsoil ASL.

The truck got 3k OCI's from New to 63,000 miles. Then I switched over to PP, with a couple of SSO runs.

The Syn runs were all from 6.5k to 8k miles.

The towing was done in 3rd gear (no OD) in Tow/Haul mode with high rev's. Lots of super cold (-20 to -35F) weather starting & driving.

Really pretty good considering the brutal winter, short (and long) trip towing, 15 months.

The only thing that jumps out at me is Pb, but that's usually a "who knows?" Could be the towing, the length of interval, some fuel or additive, etc. Need to see a trend.

Si is amazing considering the oil has ~8ppm native. Fuel, flash and viscosity are great.

I'm thinking the Lead is from the fuel additives I have used. I put them in to stabilize the gas as the truck sits so much.

Where else would it come from?

Another Minnesotan who uses premium nonoxy? I thought I was the only one! Have you noticed a ridiculous (like 10%) MPG difference versus 10E as I have with my rsx-s? Its getting harder to find and only in 91 (which sucks because my turbo pwc does better with 93)...have you fooud it in more than 91?

John

Originally Posted By: mtxjohn
Another Minnesotan who uses premium nonoxy? I thought I was the only one! Have you noticed a ridiculous (like 10%) MPG difference versus 10E as I have with my rsx-s? Its getting harder to find and only in 91 (which sucks because my turbo pwc does better with 93)...have you fooud it in more than 91?

John

Oh, yea! Here is a list for you to
20.gif
over...
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The bearings. Hard driving will elevate bearings wear.

Yea, I'll take it easy on 'er and do a follow-up analysis in another 15 months or so!

About what PPM amount would, say, 2 Redline or Amsoil PI fuel treatments add to a 8k OCI??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back