Walmart Value Everstart Battery

ValuePower-65 battery made in May 2018 for use in a 4.0 Jeep lasted about 15 months, just a few months past its 1-year replacement warranty. The Jeep drove about 10-12K miles during that time and has always been left outside, not garaged. Replaced it with an Everstart Value, which looks like the same thing. We'll see how this one do. It hasn't failed yet but the start has been getting weaker in this weather and the Jeep has only been driven for about 7K miles between Summer of 2019 and now. Maxx is probably more cost efficient.

Yet you have no qualms about using a chinese made computer or phone.
Uh huh. What choice do I have?

I am not a manufacturing or logistics expert but make a 50 lb item in China and shipping it over in cargo containers, maybe needing to recharge it once in the US because of shipping time and then sending it to retailers to sell for $50 does not make sense. From Mexico where it can come via truck does. With the automated processes they must have to manufacture a car battery, how much cheaper can it be to manufacture it in a low wage country? It's not like the complexity of assembling an iPhone.

I am not a manufacturing or logistics expert but make a 50 lb item in China and shipping it over in cargo containers, maybe needing to recharge it once in the US because of shipping time and then sending it to retailers to sell for $50 does not make sense. From Mexico where it can come via truck does. With the automated processes they must have to manufacture a car battery, how much cheaper can it be to manufacture it in a low wage country? It's not like the complexity of assembling an iPhone.
My thoughts exactly.

You never know if or how incentives are offered to various industries.
I was told a break in shipping fees was arranged in Denmark for their dairy industry 2 or 3 years ago. BANG, there were Danish dairy products in the stores.
China must be amping up (no pun intended) their battery industry as their car industry is escalating.
Anybody got any facts?
It appears the China-hate has displaced all the Russia-hate from not that long ago.

A 40 ft long standard shipping container can carry 60,000 lbs. Divided by a 50 lb battery is 1200 batteries. The cost to ship the container from China to the USA is $4000 on a large container ship. The cost per battery is $3.33. Even if you account for pallets and inefficient packing it’s probably still less than $4.00 per battery.

Last edited:
In my case, group 78, the CCA is the big difference between the Maxx and Value, 800 vs 600. For most newer cars this may not be a big deal but starting the old 5.7 iron horse in my Sierra it just might be.

Bump.

The Group 65 Everstart Value battery in the Jeep that was bought in summer of '19 now measures about 12.06 to 12.11 V after being on a 2A charger for 16-ish hours and then settling down. I doubt it'll last the winter. So far the battery has been in use for 25-ish months. The Jeep is never garaged, just roasting out there in the NC sun all summer long. During that time, the Jeep has been driven about 11K miles, mostly 13-miles one-way. Sometimes driven everyday, but usually just once or twice/week.

I bought an Everstart Value 24F battery for a Toyota. The previous JC Duralast Gold battery lasted 5 years. This is one of the newer JC/Clarios design Made in Brazil. I chose it over the last older JC-design battery on the shelf because that battery had a date sticker of 07/21 while this one had 08/21. Plus, it seems like it'll be this design going forward so I wanted to try it out. I bought it 3 weeks ago and I'm slightly disappointed so far. The 2A charger charged it up to float, disconnected, and I measured the voltage to be 12.6 a few hours later. After 3 weeks of almost daily 13-20 miles one-way trips, it now holds stable at 12.34 V after a few hours on a charger. The previous battery had no problems with this alternator and distance but I guess I could just be not driving long enough.

I'm envious of you all who gets regional EP-made Everstart Value batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_182932.jpg
    IMG_20210913_182932.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
it now holds stable at 12.34 V after a few hours on a charger. The previous battery had no problems with this alternator and distance but I guess I could just be not driving long enough.
hmm, 12.34 a few hours after the charger was removed? or immediately after the charger was removed? if the later I'd suspect a bad charger. the former I'd say you've got high parasitic draw.

take the battery out, charge it up, and load test it. if it fails take it back to WM. if it passes you got high parasitic and/or a junk charger. for $25 you can get some pretty good 8A chargers on amazon that will tolerate a vehicle with high parasitic. my 98 grand cherokee was draining batteries until I traced it back to high parasitic in the courtesy lamp circuit. pulled the fuse and now it can sit for weeks without issue. all those batteries I returned to Costco were not the fault.

12.34 more than 12 hours after the charger was removed. It measured 12.6-12.7 a few minutes after taking it off the charger. I kept an eye on it this past weekend, saturday morning it was 12.34 with the battery connected to the car, sunday night it was still at 12.34. I'll keep that possibility in mind though. I'll bring it to WM for a load test if it gets to the point where it struggles. Thanks.

I hope this new design doesn't leak some acid like the old one. My battery hold-down clamp is pretty corroded at the rear bracket already. JC-prefix serial number.

Back