Walmart Tire and Lube

Walmart had the tools and battery. :) way cheaper than $225 and now you have the tool. :)

I did the same for a lady in destress with a dead battery in the parking lot and no techs to fix it. She bought the batteries and the tools needed (looked up on youtube) and I did the job for her Silverado in 5 minutes. I kept waiting to get sued for something going wrong with the truck after the install. Her phone stayed in her pocket and I made sure she drove off before I made my way to my truck. Shame you have to think that way nowadays but I've seen no good deed go unpunished before. :(

Last edited:
You going to let them take your intake out to do it?
If other parts have to be removed, parts stores usually point to the fine print of "applies to most cars" and refuse the free battery install. This also includes batteries that are under the seat.

Walmart had the tools and battery. :) way cheaper than $225 and now you have the tool. :)

I did the same for a lady in destress with a dead battery in the parking lot and no techs to fix it. She bought the batteries and the tools needed (looked up on youtube) and I did the job for her Silverado in 5 minutes. I kept waiting to get sued for something going wrong with the truck after the install. Her phone stayed in her pocket and I made sure she drove off before I made my way to my truck. Shame you have to think that way nowadays but I've seen no good deed go unpunished before. :(
It is a disgrace but you must cover yourself in this day and age. Another really sad thing some folks can easily tend to forget. Now a days there is almost no place where we are not being filmed by someone. For good/security or bad where some ahole just is hoping they will use their video to get rich or get something off of someone. I simply hate how all those new tech world devices are making us all less and less human beings to one another.

The return the tools
Why return the tools?

If they were useful in getting the task done, they couldn't be defective.

And seeing as you obviously needed them, why wouldn't you keep them in the very same vehicle for the next time they are needed?

Also, most the hand tools come packaged in such a way so as to prevent/discourage shoplifting. Which means to get the tool out of its packaging and use it, you will end up destroying the package it came in. Do you just return the bare tools and not worry about the packaging, or do you use zip ties, staples, and duct tape to make a used tool/torn packaging ball and return that?

I would have cursed myself for not having tools in my car, and accepted the cost of whatever toolset I gabbed as “punishment” for my oversight.

I get not wanting to do in the rain, but 5-10 minutes of discomfort as opposed to driving from shop to shop?

Why return the tools?

If they were useful in getting the task done, they couldn't be defective.

And seeing as you obviously needed them, why wouldn't you keep them in the very same vehicle for the next time they are needed?

Also, most the hand tools come packaged in such a way so as to prevent/discourage shoplifting. Which means to get the tool out of its packaging and use it, you will end up destroying the package it came in. Do you just return the bare tools and not worry about the packaging, or do you use zip ties, staples, and duct tape to make a used tool/torn packaging ball and return that?
You can return anything to walmart as long as you have a receipt. Opened, used it doesn't matter. At least the one closest to me does. Never had an issue returning things.

You can return anything to walmart as long as you have a receipt. Opened, used it doesn't matter. At least the one closest to me does. Never had an issue returning things.
Right, but why return tools purchased earlier in the day and used to install a battery?

Gotta think out of the box. Buy the stuff and drive to an unused self-service car wash. Swap the battery under the shelter and then return.

At least you deal with the wet part of the equation.

When there is a will, there is a way.
I was actually thinking under a gas station canopy. Could stick a gas nozzle in & get some gas to make it look good (like the no gas, no squeegee commercial)!

True. Every year right after the Super Bowl, the local Walmart has many returned Flat Screens sitting in the stock room.

Right, but why return tools purchased earlier in the day and used to install a battery?
You and I would keep the tools and put them in a drawer at home for future use, but some customers will want to return them. You know, for more cash to buy smokes and lottery tickets with. Some might even clean off the old battery and try to return it too.

Maybe to get your money back for something you only needed to use once?
That seems like an odd choice to me, as I would rather keep the tools and add them to my emergency kit I carry in the vehicle.

For me, there's nothing as satisfying as having an adverse situation occur and being able to deal with it, on the spot, using nothing but what I have in the car at the time. So when I encounter a scenario in which I do not have the necessary tools in my kit to address, I will acquire them and then add them to the kit in case they are needed in the future.

That prevents my emergency tool kit bag from growing too large with unused tools I thought might come in handy while ensuring the tools that I do carry in the bag actually have precedent for being used to keep that particular car running.

Most people don't carry any tools in their car since most people wouldn't know what to do with them. If you carry an emergency kit in the vehicle you probably already have those tools.

If you carry an emergency kit in the vehicle you probably already have those tools.
Odds are good that I will have the correct sized wrench or socket for any given problem fastener, but I'm continually surprised at how useless these correctly sized tools can be when going after a fastener oriented or positioned oddly. Once I find the tool that is shaped or bent like I need it to be, its new home will be the tool bag in my trunk, most definitely!

Most people don't carry any tools in their car since most people wouldn't know what to do with them.
I have been in that situation before. I hated it, and vowed never to be caught in it again. I'm still working on achieving that goal. Slowly but surely I'm making progress...

I don’t blame OP for paying to get new battery installed especially if it’s snowing.

Back