Walmart Tire and Lube

My battery kicked out late this week in 2015 Pilot and was requiring daily boost pack to start vehicle. I needed to get a new battery today Sunday away from home (no tools) as wife was going to use for her work commute Monday.

I say easy and cheap, Walmart Tire and Lube. Show up 7 am at one store and sign saying Tire Lube closed till further notice. Call another one 20 mins away and after 6 mins ringing mainline asked if Tire and Lube was open. They say yes.

Get to 2nd Walmart and techs no show!

Finally find a local New England chain I despise to installed battery no issue and waved labor of intake plumbing removal for meager $229 ;)

Done ✅

Same thing with the Walmart closest to my house. Had a key cut and the lube/tire people do that. Was talking to an older male employee and he said the tire/lube place always has had a fast turnover and he has been there 7 years.

Last edited:
My battery kicked out late this week in 2015 Pilot and was requiring daily boost pack to start vehicle. I needed to get a new battery today Sunday away from home (no tools) as wife was going to use for her work commute Monday.

I say easy and cheap, Walmart Tire and Lube. Show up 7 am at one store and sign saying Tire Lube closed till further notice. Call another one 20 mins away and after 6 mins ringing mainline asked if Tire and Lube was open. They say yes.

Finally find a local New England chain I despise to installed battery no issue and waved labor of intake plumbing removal for meager $229 ;)

Done ✅
$229?!? DAANG! We need the "BITOG Shadetree Service Alliance" to help out-of-town members with vehicular emergencies! Oh, wait, this is Cincinnati-no one ever comes here! Never mind...

<Maybe I been wrong. I have blamed Walmart Tire and Boobs on the type of people who are available to do that work in my area. If its going on all over then I must guess maybe the company is not treating the employees right... pay , hours ? benefits ?

Done ✅
Heck, you could have purchased and returned the tools from Wal*Mart while there...

I wouldn't want Walmart to do anything complicated on my car. A simple R&R battery which is out in the open is about the extent of their training.

Why didn't you just go in the store and buy a battery?
Away from home about 100 miles at ski home, no tools , raining and 38F and wife taking to work tomorrow.

I enjoy working on car in my climate controlled one car garage but winter I pay someone.

Last edited:
I don't blame you for that climate controled workshop need. At 74 I need all the warmth I can get when I am working on my vehicles. I even save my big cardboard boxes That have the slick side so the cement cold isn't so bad and I can slide on it .

I would have bought the battery and the necessary tools at walmart and changed the battery in the parking lot. The return the tools and get the core charge. But then again I dont know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: hrv
Yea but he said it was raining and 38 degrees. I would have done it but thats just me. The older I get the less I would want to.
I'm not of Medicare age but no spring chicken either, but to save $229, I would have changed it during a blizzard, but that's my cheap azz self.

My battery kicked out late this week in 2015 Pilot and was requiring daily boost pack to start vehicle.
Why not boost it one more day and take care of this at home?

Yea but he said it was raining and 38 degrees. I would have done it but thats just me. The older I get the less I would want to.
Gotta think out of the box. Buy the stuff and drive to an unused self-service car wash. Swap the battery under the shelter and then return.

At least you deal with the wet part of the equation.

When there is a will, there is a way.

Back