Walmart Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know who makes Walmart Supertech 5w30 synthetic
I was just curious as i've been using it for a good while now.

I've heard rumors that they've downgraded it from SM back to SL. If that's the case, as far as I'm concerned it's garbage until proven otherwise.

I'd be careful to check the labels. If it's SM then it's the oil people around here are comforatable with and has proven itself to be a good choice. If it's SL, then I'd rather run something else.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I've heard rumors that they've downgraded it from SM back to SL. If that's the case, as far as I'm concerned it's garbage until proven otherwise.

I'd be careful to check the labels. If it's SM then it's the oil people around here are comforatable with and has proven itself to be a good choice. If it's SL, then I'd rather run something else.

Neverminding the veracity of this rumor, why would SL be garbage? If your car is spec'd for it, it will be fine. Heck, half my stash is SL.

It is very possible that an SL oil would pass the tests to be an SM oil. But it's 2009, and no oil manufacturer would sell an oil rated SL if it did pass the tests to be labeled SM. So my assumption would be that there is some test that this oil fails.

There are some here who are hoping that the reason it's rated SL and not SM would be high levels of ZDDP which aren't permissible in SM oil. But that's pretty optimistic for an oil produced for walmart where the primary purpose is to be at the lowest possible price point.

It's not garbage because it won't do it's job. It's garbage because for the same price you could buy another oil that does have the SM designation (assuming we're talking about an SL rated supertech) and is therefore better judged by API standards.

Last edited:
It is very possible that an SL oil would pass the tests to be an SM oil. But it's 2009, and no oil manufacturer would sell an oil rated SL if it did pass the tests to be labeled SM. So my assumption would be that there is some test that this oil fails.

There are some here who are hoping that the reason it's rated SL and not SM would be high levels of ZDDP which aren't permissible in SM oil. But that's pretty optimistic for an oil produced for walmart where the primary purpose is to be at the lowest possible price point.

It's not garbage because it won't do it's job. It's garbage because for the same price you could buy another oil that does have the SM designation (assuming we're talking about an SL rated supertech) and is therefore better judged by API standards.

Like 90% of the people buying oil at Walmart have ever even heard of API SL or SM.
Or would care if they had heard of them.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I've got 5000 miles on a run of Supertech Dino. Gonna dump and get a UOA soon.

That would be great if you could post the uoa. It's been awhile since I have seen on$. I am curious to see if it has changed at all.

Down grade????
crazy2.gif

how do you call boosted(more)ppm addtives a down grade vs. SM?,give me SL over SM anyday!!!

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
For most cars, ST would be fine......

+1

SL is better protection then SM...

SM is stripped of many additives to appease the environmental movement

Originally Posted By: daman
there's a voa of 5w30 SL ST thats looks good.

It's also old, and probably not the same stuff that's available now.

If indeed it really is an SL. The new clear bottle 10W-30 synthetic says API SERVICE SM/CF on the top line, then the next line starts with SL. It would be easy to miss where it says SM.

Super Tech 10W-30 GM4718M synthetic.jpg

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

If indeed it really is an SL. The new clear bottle 10W-30 synthetic says API SERVICE SM/CF on the top line, then the next line starts with SL. It would be easy to miss where it says SM.

If you read through my thread i posted(with pic)weeks ago you'll see it's not old but new bottle new stock 2009,and yes it is SL only.

SL is SL VOA would be the same...

Just a couple points of clarification. The ST Synthetic (silver bottle) has been SM rated for as long as I can remember. Around here it says WPP (made and bottled by Warren) on the bottom of the jug/bottle. We have not seen the new clear bottle here yet, but the SM rating would not be new here.

The ST dino (excluding 5w20) in the older style XOM type bottle was SM rated. It was generally agreed, at least in this area, the it was manufactured and bottled by XOM. On the new bottles there are no markings to indicate the source( cause of much speculation). With the exception of the 5w20 (used to say WPP) which is still SM, ST dino in the new bottles is SL rated.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

If you read through my thread i posted(with pic)weeks ago you'll see it's not old but new bottle new stock 2009,and yes it is SL only.

SL is SL VOA would be the same...

Ah yes, I did see those pics.

Just because it's SL doesn't mean it's going to be the same additive levels in the VOA.

All 10W-40 being SL would be fine in this day and age, because I can't think of any manufacturers that call for it, so it would be used only in older vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back