Walmart Store Brand EverStart batteries - Do they typically last 5 years or do they need frequent replacement?

Your original thesis is flawed. Modern batteries don't last long in some modern cars because they cheap out on charging voltage to save on gas.

As said above in the thread, WM batteries have different makers in different areas. And there are repliers in the thread who don't list a location. Bedlam!

I have several of these in service, made by East Penn. I top them off with a manual charger. I intend to keep buying them until I get disappointed by a dud. Whatever battery you get will likely benefit from periodic charging.
It's not neccesarily the batteries at fault. There is much more electrical options on newer vehicles as compared to older models, thus placing more demand on the batteries and charging system.

The 24f value here are made by clarios. Some areas it could be different depends on distribution channels and regional manufacturers

There are only a small amount of actual manufacturers it’s not like some dirt floor shack in china making the value batteries and the maxx are made in a state of the art facility

The value ones are a good deal. Likely the same battery you are paying 20-40 bucks more for at other places

Well I just got the least expensive Grp 65 for our beater '87 F150. My reasoning is that the old 302 probably doesn't take that much to crank. OTOH it does need to start on cold mornings in Colo, so maybe a mistake. It claimed 650cca while the mid grade claimed 750 and the top end claimed 850.

JC serial # and Made in Mexico sticker

In Texas any battery is lucky to last more than 3-4 yrs. In my experience autozone and walmart has been averaging 3-4 yrs.

I found the ancel battery tester BA101 (got it from amazon) really helps me in extending the life of the batteries I have.
I have no need for a Midtronics GR-8 or PBT series. I was eyeing a ThinkCar Bluetooth LE battery tester, just for laughs and giggles. I would have went Autel but I’m locked into their competitor’s ecosystem.

I really am tempted to buy the Walmart EverSmart Value for $60, if for no other reason, to see how long it lasts.
From your post, you've already done so with the 24F (same size as my 2006/2007 Odyssey's take).
My hope but it's only a hope, is that the Value and the Maxx will last the same 4 to 5 years, and if that were the case, buying the value could be a good choice. Please keep us posted how your expeience with the $60 value battery goes.

I've had a really good experience with Walmart store brands across the board on everything. They always surprise me with how high quality they are and also by their very low price. Walmart is my favorite store. I buy everything there.

Follow up have had the value 24f for approx 1 year. Tested it today. Was going to maint charge it but took no charge.

Midtronics GR8

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 55
So the $120 Everstart Maxx are the way to go then.
For the $120 price point, what would be the longest lasting brand/model to go with?
Is there 1 long lasting brand that typically outlasts all other brands?
Nah. You don’t need that much cranking capability. To achieve that the plates are thinner and shed faster. The heaviest mid grade battery is typically the best option

Nah. You don’t need that much cranking capability. To achieve that the plates are thinner and shed faster. The heaviest mid grade battery is typically the best option
This is not necessarily true. On the contrary the mid grade tends to weigh less because it has less lead used to make the plates. It would then be backwards to think that the lower CCA has thicker plates, unless it is specifically designated as a marine or deep discharge model, and then you don't see as much weight reduction on, again, the upper tier of that deep discharge product line.

It is also useful to have more CCA, the opposite of "don't need that much cranking capacity" because as a battery ages, it's % CCA goes down, so suppose in a particular event/climate your vehicle needs at least 250CCA to start, then the battery with the higher initial CCA rating may still have enough CCA remaining after same amount of time has elapsed in service.

Look at it the other way around. If you needed 250CCA, would you want a battery that achieves exactly 250CCA when new, then drops from there as it ages? Its the same thing, just looking the other direction on the % margin.

Besides, it doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to use thicker plates at higher cost to them, for that much lower purchase price. They have no incentive to do so and every reason not to when it's a starter battery.

I need to buy a battery soon for a 2006 Honda Odyssey (size 24F).
I did some research on other threads on BITOG which discussed that car batteries are lasting less and less time due to the poor quality recycled lead being used in them due to lead availability.

I noticed Walmart has a store brand (Everstart) battery in different price points.
$60: Everstart Value: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...ize-24F-12-Volt-585-CCA/47308797?athbdg=L1102
$120: Everstart Maxx: https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...-Battery-Group-Size-24F/28275657?athbdg=L1102

The reviews on Walmart's website are mixed, some say they last 6+ years, others say they only lasted a week.
Trying to figure out if the bad reviews were from people who might have had a parasitic drain and blamed it on the battery.

How many years would be a reasonable expectation for a Walmart brand Everstart battery to last?

Has anyone came across an outstanding car battery brand that had exceeded their expectations for the # of years it lasted,
or even point me in the direction of the best brand to buy based on reputation?

I'm looking for a car battery that would last 5+ years without needing to use the warranty.

Thanks,
Bill
Remember Walmart sources from a few battery manufacturers. East Penn around my neck of the woods (east coast). East Penn would be my number one choice for a Walmart battery.

Remember Walmart sources from a few battery manufacturers. East Penn around my neck of the woods (east coast). East Penn would be my number one choice for a Walmart battery.
From what I've seen on the west coast they often Source from Enercell/Hyundai-Sungwoo or Hakook-AtalasBX, in the central US mostly Clarios, and East Penn up the east coast, and I've still not figured out where they sell Exide sourced batteries, I have an Exide made Everstart Maxx in my car but I don't know where it was originally purchased.

Have you checked the WalMart batteries in the past few months? I am one state away from you and all of the WalMart batteries I have seen since ~ April 2023 have been switched from East Penn sourced to Clarios (as evidenced by the JCH designation on the bar code label).

Have you checked the WalMart batteries in the past few months? I am one state away from you and all of the WalMart batteries I have seen since ~ April 2023 have been switched from East Penn sourced to Clarios (as evidenced by the JCH designation on the bar code label.
After talking with some people in a Facebook group recently and checking brickseek, it appears in regions sourced by East-Penn that Walmart has stopped offering a Value tier and offers only the plus tier at minimum, so I'm guessing East-Penn batteries have gotten significantly more expensive on the wholesale side so maybe they've switched to Clarios in some areas that had been East-Penn because the savings on costs are worth it even with higher transit costs.

Have you checked the WalMart batteries in the past few months? I am one state away from you and all of the WalMart batteries I have seen since ~ April 2023 have been switched from East Penn sourced to Clarios (as evidenced by the JCH designation on the bar code label).
I have not check a Walmart in maybe a year. But when I need a battery it will be an Easy Penn even if I have to get it from NAPA. I will look the next time I am in Walmart.

Here is the tough part. My 6 year old Walmart battery is not the same battery sold today. All you can do is hope Walmart to has some sort of standard and sticks to it. There is also maintenance free vs serviceable batteries. You don’t usually get a choice if you are shopping by size. Good luck with this.

Rust belt northerner here that lives in a lake effect snow belt.
I've had great success over the years with at least a dozen batteries over a range of a half dozen or so Toyota and Honda vehicles and I've always purchased Everstart Maxx batteries.
I can think of one instance that one failed me and it was 4+ years old. I typically replace after 5 years just so I feel good about family members that are out in the cold weather.
YMMV.
Always wondered how long the batteries last in the north. In the south I find they only last 3 years tops. 2 years if it's a daily driver where you take several trips per day. The batteries cook under the hood all day because the vehicle never really cools down.

Here is the tough part. My 6 year old Walmart battery is not the same battery sold today. All you can do is hope Walmart to has some sort of standard and sticks to it. There is also maintenance free vs serviceable batteries. You don’t usually get a choice if you are shopping by size. Good luck with this.
Heat kills batteries, you live in Canada, that's why you get 6 years

The battery I changed in my Navi about 4 months ago had a 2017 date code on it, and I live in Texas. It was a Duracell brand, IIRC. Sat outside for 33 days when we were out of the country last summer (june 22). Wasn't happy about that, seemed like it was cranking slower, but didn't fail until the wintertime. Replaced with Walmart Maxx. Also have Walmart Maxx in the wife's Mitsubishi. It's hard to beat the Walmart prices for basically the same battery you'd get at a parts store for 25-40% more.

Some have mentioned Costco, would be a consideration if the warranty was non-prorated, for a little more. I have a membership. I'll have to look into it.

Back