Walmart Store Brand EverStart batteries - Do they typically last 5 years or do they need frequent replacement?

Except out west they're apparently Hyundai-Sungwoo or Hankook-AtlasBX

They are very much regional.
For a time in Central Ohio, they went from Johnson (Clarios) to Exide.
In less than a year, they went back to Clarios.
However, the last time I checked, if I drive to Canton, they stock East Penn.

I worked at Walmart before. It’s honestly really hit, and miss. I seen some max batteries that were 10 years old. I seen some that were 10 months old getting replaced. For the most part they will go what they claim imo.

I might have been just 'lucky' but the ValuPower (Everstart value) I got in 26R size is lasting 5 years now (which is longer than the Kirkland Signature battery from Costco, and the Toyota OEM battery.)

This reminds me of how long the tiny Panasonic battery lasted in my '05 Forester. 7 years before it got too weak in cold weather, perfectly fine above that though.

I just had to replace an H7 AGM Walmart battery that lasted 3 years 6 months. It technically has a 4 year warranty, but passed their charging attempt and testing. I already knew this because I tried charging it and letting it sit disconnected from anything for 2 weeks and it dropped to 12.3v. I dont have patience to escalate so bought a new one.

This battery is in a 2014 Grand Caravan with 36k on the odo that saw a total of 300 miles in the last 12 months and might get about the same in the next 12 months. I will probably invest in a trickle charger soon. It is essentially an emergency vehicle to transport my elderly mom who has difficulty getting in/out any other vehicle.

I had perfect luck with the Everstart Plus and Max batteries back when they were sourced from the old Johnson Controls. AAP used to sell the same batteries at that time. 5 to 7 year lifespans. In the past 7 years I had an Everstart plus fail one week after it's 2-year warranty expired. Also, an Everstart Max that went a bit over 3 years, but I didn't bother with the prorated that still existed.

I currently have 2 Everstart Max's in use that are both past their sole 3-year warranties and still going. One at 4 years, the other at 3.5 years. Hopeful on a Deka Intimidator AGM that's at 3 years on their 30-mo. warranty.

The serial number will spill the beans, AFAIK for who supplied the battery:
JCI - Clarios, fka Johnson Controls, Inc
EPM - East Penn Manufacuring
These are Korean made;
HSW - Hyundai Songwoo
ATL - Hankook Atlas
DTR - DN Automotive, fka Dong-An Tire & Rubber
Hankook Atlas has a US factory.

...In 2020 Hankook & Company ES America Corp. constructed a 200,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Clarksville, TN, to support the demand growth in US. This multimillion-unit production facility will deliver the highest level of reliable standard Sealed Maintenance Free (SMF) batteries, with a dedicated production line for Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, which are high-performance batteries for start-stop vehicles...

Last edited:
We bought one for our now traded in, Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. It lasted 5+ years with no issue.

So, who makes the Walmart batteries as of today? Just saw even their best battery is now only warranted for 3 years now. Same as Interstate at Costco.

So the $120 Everstart Maxx are the way to go then.
For the $120 price point, what would be the longest lasting brand/model to go with?
Is there 1 long lasting brand that typically outlasts all other brands?
Caterpillar (CAT) batteries are probably the best you can get your hands on.

The Walmart Maxx are the same battery that you can buy at any auto parts store in your location. The only difference is the sticker on them and the warranty. You pay more for more warranty when you buy them from some of the other places, but it is the exact same battery. And that extra warranty time is a prorated warranty so it isn't really worth what you're paying for it. Especially when you consider that if you do try to use that warranty it's going to go towards another more expensive battery then what they sell at Walmart which is the same exact battery. If you really want the highest quality find out who the local Caterpillar Dealer is and get one from them. But the Walmart MAXX is not a bad deal.

Besides the quality of the battery itself, there are other things that determine how long a battery lasts. Chemical reactions in general will increase with an increase in temperature, and decrease with a decrease in temperature. The rough rule of thumb is that for every 10° Celsius which is also 18° f increase of temperature a chemical reaction will occur twice as fast. For every decrease of 10° C which is also 18° f a chemical reaction will occur half as fast. So the average temperature that the battery is kept at drastically affects how long the battery is going to last. Take two identical batteries put them in two identical vehicles and use one in Arizona and use the other in Maine or Canada and you will see a drastic difference in how long those batteries last. That is a really big part of the determining how long a battery will last. There are other factors such as if a battery was ever fully discharged it decreases the life expectancy. And the more times that you do that the more you decrease the life expectancy. And some vehicles are just tougher on batteries than others. It could be a combination of the charging system in the way that it is set up and the voltages that it charges the battery up to. Also the actual use of the battery whether or not you do a lot of short trips and don't keep it charged up much or whether your vehicle has some kind of a parasitic load that is constantly draining it too much when it's not running. As mentioned previously there's a lot of variables here so it's pretty hard to make General statements about how long the battery is going to last.

Personally, I upgraded my 2016 Honda CRV EX from a 51r Honda that was put in by the dealer when the previous owner still had it ( though Honda does not make batteries) to a Walmart 24f Maxx in September over a year ago and it's still tests above rated cold cranking amps.

Clean the battery post and the battery terminals with some red Scotch-Brite cleaning pads commonly called plastic steel wool with some hardware stores. And spray the wiring and terminals and connection with some good electrical contact cleaner such as corrosion X Aviation grade. You have to realize that when you're dealing with low voltage you're also dealing with high current and that when you're dealing with high current a dirty connection will cause too much of a voltage drop to keep it reliable. So clean connectors that are protected from corrosion go a long way to keep the vehicle reliable.

So, who makes the Walmart batteries as of today? Just saw even their best battery is now only warranted for 3 years now. Same as Interstate at Costco.
Depends on Region, On the east coast mostly East Penn, on the west coast either Hyundai or Hankook, and in the middle mostly Clarios but I've seen some Exide made batteries, they pretty much just use what they can get in whatever region the store is in, I wonder if Exide are more common in the southeast, I think that's where most of Exide's factories are at. I have a used Exide made group 75 battery in my car that was made in August 2022, I have no idea where it was originally purchased.

Please tell me who has the same battery as Walmart? Thanks
The batteries are only made by a handful of manufacturers, Walmart uses different sources by region and so do most of the parts stores, while they'll have different branding on the batteries from one store to the next, it's likely that the batteries are identical if they came from the same manufacturer and they're the same warranty tier, you'd have to check your local Walmarts and parts stores and figure out which manufacturers they're sourcing from in your region, in some cases the parts stores will use the same, like here Autozone and AAP mostly use Clarios and so does Walmart, but I've seen in other regions they source them from different manufacturers like Hankook-AtlasBX or EastPenn.

I still Costco is the best place to buy a battery, but the three years no questions asked warranty is gone as of this past summer.
As noted earlier, they would refund your money on the battery and you could purchase a new one with a brand new warranty.
Now they simply prorate the warranty and they don’t just give you a battery (Or refund).

I still Costco is the best place to buy a battery, but the three years no questions asked warranty is gone as of this past summer.
As noted earlier, they would refund your money on the battery and you could purchase a new one with a brand new warranty.
Now they simply prorate the warranty and they don’t just give you a battery (Or refund).
Thank the ambulance chaser that sued them for ruining that.

In Texas the avg age for a battery is 3-4 years and the EverStarts last that long just as all the rest.

Back