Walmart Store Brand EverStart batteries - Do they typically last 5 years or do they need frequent replacement?

No offense to ntach (or anyone), but if someone hasn't used all (5) in side-by-side comparisons, any ranking won't mean much.

East Penn batteries do have a good reputation here and elsewhere though.
The only data for the Korean-made batteries is the OE batteries on HyunKia products as well as the Tesla M3/MY that use Hankook Atlas AGMs(the MS/MX is now using an ATL Amperex Li-Ion auxiliary battery). Else, it’s all anecdotes from members.

Else, it’s all anecdotes from members.
I'm not so sure about that. When Delco went foreign years ago, didn't they use Hankook? With JC going to Mexico, much of the older data is suspect. Posters really need to give us information on where their JC battery was made if possible.

I'm not so sure about that. When Delco went foreign years ago, didn't they use Hankook? With JC going to Mexico, much of the older data is suspect. Posters really need to give us information on where their JC battery was made if possible.
Delco is JCI/Clarios from US/Mexico or Korea(Delkor - which was Daewoo and Delco-Remy). The cheaper ACDelco Advantage/Silver batteries as well as the S46B24R for the Prius and RAV4 Hybrid are Delkor.

Haven’t had enough Walmart batteries to know, but, I’ve bought a few and they get the job done for me it seems. I’m ok with 5 years and am starting to just replace at that point, proactively, instead of waiting for them to actually fail. Walmarts are all over the place, easy to get a battery when I need one, and the price seems right. I usually swap in the parking lot. :)

I wish Honda wasn’t so stingy, IMO trying to save 0.01mpg by not charging the battery properly is lousy method of saving money for me. I’ve never owned a car that I had to periodically charge up, but our CRV seems to need topping off every 2-3 months with a charger.
Thanks Supton for that info. Would you know what year Honda started lowering the charging in their new cars?

Put the value one (24f) in my odyssey last year

I would say all batteries are a roll of the dice why pay more than double for one that there is no data to prove it will undoubtedly last longer.

I keep Li-ion jump starters in each car

Thanks Supton for that info. Would you know what year Honda started lowering the charging in their new cars?
No idea, but my ‘03 seems to suffer from it. Last winter I had to top off the battery two or three times during cold snaps.

I buy the Maxx and get around 4 years in the Texas heat …
Think that’s reasonable for the cost …

Put the value one (24f) in my odyssey last year

I would say all batteries are a roll of the dice why pay more than double for one that there is no data to prove it will undoubtedly last longer.

I keep Li-ion jump starters in each car
I really am tempted to buy the Walmart EverSmart Value for $60, if for no other reason, to see how long it lasts.
From your post, you've already done so with the 24F (same size as my 2006/2007 Odyssey's take).
My hope but it's only a hope, is that the Value and the Maxx will last the same 4 to 5 years, and if that were the case, buying the value could be a good choice. Please keep us posted how your expeience with the $60 value battery goes.

I've had a really good experience with Walmart store brands across the board on everything. They always surprise me with how high quality they are and also by their very low price. Walmart is my favorite store. I buy everything there.

I really am tempted to buy the Walmart EverSmart Value for $60, if for no other reason, to see how long it lasts.
From your post, you've already done so with the 24F (same size as my 2006/2007 Odyssey's take).
My hope but it's only a hope, is that the Value and the Maxx will last the same 4 to 5 years, and if that were the case, buying the value could be a good choice. Please keep us posted how your expeience with the $60 value battery goes.

I've had a really good experience with Walmart store brands across the board on everything. They always surprise me with how high quality they are and also by their very low price. Walmart is my favorite store. I buy everything there.
I think it also shows how far China is advancing with their level of quality of manufacturing. A couple years ago there was a lot of China "junk".. what's impressive is how fast they're learning to make higher quality.

I'd say try the value 24F battery and see how long it lasts. I found the ancel battery tester BA101 (got it from amazon) really helps me in extending the life of the batteries I have. I now know if the battery is slowly dying, don't have to wait until I'm stranded anymore! Most of your resistance-type testers are probably the same. But I don't think the automotive batteries are made in china at walmart.. Mine was made in Spain

When I went to get a new 24 series maxx battery at walmart I definitely took my tester with me to get the 'strongest" on the shelf. Love that tester.. anyway keep us posted..

I think it also shows how far China is advancing with their level of quality of manufacturing. A couple years ago there was a lot of China "junk".. what's impressive is how fast they're learning to make higher quality.

I'd say try the value 24F battery and see how long it lasts. I found the ancel battery tester BA101 (got it from amazon) really helps me in extending the life of the batteries I have. I now know if the battery is slowly dying, don't have to wait until I'm stranded anymore! Most of your resistance-type testers are probably the same. But I don't think the automotive batteries are made in china at walmart.. Mine was made in Spain

When I went to get a new 24 series maxx battery at walmart I definitely took my tester with me to get the 'strongest" on the shelf. Love that tester.. anyway keep us posted..
Are all the EverStart batteries made in China, or only the Value ones?

Some people have suggested - and I don't think it's out of the question - that the Value line and Maxx line are the same. The price difference we pay for is simply for the warranty. That's not unprecedented either.

Some people have suggested - and I don't think it's out of the question - that the Value line and Maxx line are the same. The price difference we pay for is simply for the warranty. That's not unprecedented either.
That would be very interesting - to buy the value for $60, and take a chance without the warranty.
But I would prefer to buy a battery made in the USA, to support American Jobs.
Would you know if some Walmart Everstart Values are made in the USA, or are they all made in China?

Everstart batteries come from all sorts of places including USA, Mexico, China and others. In fact maybe some would like to chime in with where their’s is from to, add to the list.
Does it clearly state on the battery itself where it's made. If so, I could go to Walmart and see if they had the USA made ones in stock.

Does it clearly state on the battery itself where it's made. If so, I could go to Walmart and see if they had the USA made ones in stock.
Yes, and you should do this-- the walmart website does not list all of the batteries in stock in stores. Nor does it promise a particular manufacturer.

Usually. Something like “ Made in the USA with domestic and imported materials”.
Thanks. Will try the value one then, and find one made in the USA.
One interesting thing in the reviews is half of the people say the EverStart Maxx's last 5+ years, and half say it failed in the 1st year.
Wonder if the ones lasting 5+ years are the ones made in the USA.
So then the perfect scenario is to buy an Everlast Value for $60 that is made in the USA, and hope it's actually the same battery as the Everlast Maxx that is also made in the USA.

Thanks. Will try the value one then, and find one made in the USA.
One interesting thing in the reviews is half of the people say the EverStart Maxx's last 5+ years, and half say it failed in the 1st year.
Wonder if the ones lasting 5+ years are the ones made in the USA.
So then the perfect scenario is to buy an Everlast Value for $60 that is made in the USA, and hope it's actually the same battery as the Everlast Maxx.
Or half the reviewers don't know squat about cars and their alternator is no good or they have a high parasitic draw that's deep cycling the battery.

Are all the EverStart batteries made in China, or only the Value ones?
The value ones I've seen here in Michigan were made in mexico by JC on the bar code (Johnson Controls, now Clarios but they retained the name on the UPC).. My 24 maxx is made in spain (Varta, owned by JC). I've never seen any made in China but like everyone says it varies where your Walmart is located. I've also seen made in Korea on the 51 series.

The reasons why you hardly find a made in USA battery is all the O-president era EPA rules that put most out of business. It was too much $$$ to keep up with the new regulations..

I don't think the maxx and value are the same batteries, look at the weights, that will prove they're different.]

And about my 24-series maxx battery, I chose the made in spain one instead of the mexico made since I liked the new handles (two handles fold upward from their center stored position). But they had both regular handled mexican and two handle Spanish versions

Back