Walmart Pennzoil Platinum 5 qt jug was 3/4 qt shy

Usually just dump it into the engine, add as necessary based on oil indicator reading. For 6.3 quarts I always only add 6. I have always found indicator reads "full", even though I have NOT added the full capacity as stated. Guessing some is retained within the engine from previous fill, or oil level indicator is not super accurate.

Not thrilled that you have to run the engine to get a measurement reading on newer cars that have forgone a dip stick. Seems there is potential for harm to the engine.

that was Sopus downfall, they don't have a very good tamper system. Sounds like a victory for Mobil 1 and others.
There was a time when a code from the cap was needed for the rebate. I literally got 4 bad codes in a row (well already used). There's no inner seal if I recall. It only happened 1X, I got used motor oil to boot. I was so angry I was ready for the clerk to ask, "Anything wrong with it?" But she didn't. Prolly a good thing for her and myself....

Another concern is whether the remaining fluid in the bottle was actually what you thought it was. What happens sometimes is cheaper oil is replaced in the more expensive oil container and returned for a refund. Not trying to make you worry even more but something to think about.
Wow I've never even heard of this scam before... thanks for the heads-up 👍

I've never seen any of the Pennzoil offerings with the foil seals, and you wouldn't know the plastic retaining seal was broken unless you checked it carefully. I've had several jugs where the retaining seal was actually stuck to the cap and slipped from the jug itself, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Castrol , yes . Others ? :unsure:

Last edited:
I now always check oil level in the bottles before I buy, color and whether the cap was broken loose, ever since reports of used oil and replaced oil started coming in. Didn't see it happening in Canada so far.

I now always check oil level in the bottles before I buy, color and whether the cap was broken loose, ever since reports of used oil and replaced oil started coming in. Didn't see it happening in Canada so far.
Like was mentioned above, I've come across many of the 5 quart oil jugs of different brands with no foil seal, and the sealing ring stays on the cap when you take it off. The first time you remove it you get a little resistance, but that's the only real way to tell if it's been opened or not.

I think the only thing I've bought recently in a gallon container, that had a foil seal and a sealing ring that broke free when you opened it, was antifreeze ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

And come to think of it, I don't think it had a locking ring actually, just the foil seal. I wonder why they don't seal oil up better?

Last edited:
I once bought a Coleman lantern at Walmart, and when I got it home, the lantern in the box was not Coleman and looked completely different than the picture on the box. I think customers make fraudulent returns, and then Walmart just puts it back on the shelf without looking.

Back