Walmart out of Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil stopped makeing synthetic oil due to hurricain Ike. It will resume production around the new year.

My WM is out. Mobil stated some time ago that their plant on the TX coast was damaged and it will be months before full production again. Until then, Mobil says they must allocate.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Mobil stopped makeing synthetic oil due to hurricain Ike. It will resume production around the new year.

I don't think they stopped making it; I think production is SEVERELY reduced.

I have NEVER used Mobil 1, and never will. And ALL of my automobile engines run perfectly. No engine uses oil, and some are up to 290,000 miles, with no engine work. Valvoline synthetic is $19, and my favourite: SuperTech is at 17.50. I have always had excellent results with SuperTech, even though it has a phony sounding name, it works 100% just as good as the vaunted Mobil 1.
I have never had to do an "engine cleaning", never used any snake oil additives, just changed regularly, depending on weather and driving conditions, 3000 to 6000 miles, and filter EVERY OTHER time.
Motorcraft 5w20 is an excellent oil, to mix 50:50 with Supertech, to get a kick @ss 5w25.

Valvoline buys their base stocks from Exxon Mobil. It's very hard to escape putting money directly or indirectly into their pocket.

it's not that I don't like Mobil 1, I just work hard for my money, and I don't like to waste my money, when, like you point out there is no real life difference in any test between it and Valvoline, or even probably SuperTech. Just all marketing.

the walmarts around my parents and us are routinely out of many m1 grades. It has been this way for years, long before mobil allocated. Nothing new.

It has been stated by chevron that lubricant sales are way down due both to the economy and folks embracing extended ocis. This offsets the loss in production. Any company worth their salt bought excess when price increases and hurricanes were announced.

There is something to be said about allocation and low inventory, but you need to consider the big picture.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

I don't think they stopped making it; I think production is SEVERELY reduced.

To my understanding the Texas plant produced all group IV base oil for North America.

Quote:
HOUSTON, Texas (June 21, 2007) -- ExxonMobil Chemical has completed a debottleneck project at its Specialties Plant in Edison, N.J., to increase production of Synesstic(TM) Alkylated Naphthalene (AN) Blendstocks by about 40 percent.

Synesstic AN Blendstocks are a unique class of API Group V category fluids that delivers improved hydrolytic and thermo-oxidative stability as compared to other Group V fluids. Synesstic products are used in applications ranging from lubricants for automotive engines and compressors to hydraulic fluids and high-temperature greases.

“ExxonMobil Chemical launched Synesstic alkylated naphthalene technology in 2003 and has compiled a proven performance record in a variety of applications,” said Eric Jansen, global Group V marketing manager.

Lubricants derived from mineral oils and synthetic fluids blended with Synesstic AN show enhanced stability and performance in extreme and routine conditions. Low- and high-viscosity Synesstic configurations also offer excellent solubility and non-emulsive properties.

Looks like some of them may be produced in Edison, N.J. to me? At least their Group V stuff is......

Last edited by a moderator:
My WM had almost no M1 2 weeks ago, last Sunday they had plenty quart bottles and 5 quart jugs of all weights. But the limit 1 jug per customer sign is still displayed.

If my Walmart was out I wouldn't think anything of it. The stores in my area are perpetually out of stock on MANY items. Trying to find an employee to help you is even harder. Those "How May I help you" vests sure do look flashy as they are running in the other direction though.

I used to find my local Wal-Mart out of stock all the time as well. There are very few DIYs in my area so I knew my strategy wasn't right. I tried shopping on an odd day such as Monday and found the AUTO section quite well stocked with everything. I'm sure their business model only allows stocking at certain times so when shelves are depleted, you'll need to wait 24 hours? If you had a store and the shelf was empty and you had the stock... you'd fill it, but this is not how they operate!

Try costco if they are in your area. Very little at my local wallys, but Costco is swimming in the stuff as of yesterday. They don't have some of the 'exotic' flavors of M1, but all the basic ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back