Walmart HD SAE30 Okay for mowers? 30-CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of a 4 cycle engine is not to burn oil at all, not to have an oil that "burns cleanly". Using thinner oil than the manufacturer recommends is almost certain to result in increased oil burning. If you have an engine that is old and worn and burns lots of oil, use a heavy oil in it since wear protection is now a moot issue.

The stuff in the 2 gallon bottle should not be used in modern cars and trucks.

Last edited:
I just ordered and received a 2 gallon jug of the 30 cf from walmart. It was on sale around $18, regular price is too high for me. This is ideal IMO for small engines in Florida. Like generators and mowers. 2 gallons lasts a long time too. Great in generators. Any multi weight seems to just burn off in these since mine are under constant load near their peak when we have a hurricane. And its hot, my thermometer says 98 right now. Also the multi weight seems to foul the plugs. This doesn't.

The point of a 4 cycle engine is not to burn oil at all, not to have an oil that "burns cleanly". Using thinner oil than the manufacturer recommends is almost certain to result in increased oil burning. If you have an engine that is old and worn and burns lots of oil, use a heavy oil in it since wear protection is now a moot issue.

as mentioned my stuff doesn't burn off oil, no piston or ring etc problems. but still I think some oil does burn. I have a brand new Makita 4 cycle backpack blower, and did the first oil change and when I was enclosed in a porch blowing I could smell a difference in the exhaust vs before I changed the oil.
Basically I think a bit of oil will always burn off hence I prefer straight 30 in summer heat. so I am wondering both which of these oil is cleanest for mowers, but more importantly which is best suited for mowers?

The 2 gallon says for diesel or gas engine. The quart just says for gas, so I'm thinking more additives are in the diesel one, and that the less unnecessary additives the better?

I'll email supertech now and link this thread to see what they say.

If you are so paranoid about clean exhaust fumes and clean pipe....then try those emission oriented oils...like E6/E9 for HDEOs or ACEA C3 / MB 229.51/52.... BMW LL-04 / vw 504 /507 smile

Seriously or sarcastic? Those'll work for mowers and are worth it even if I have a decent amount of new engines and change oil regularly?
thanks

should I just use full synthetic, or no?

EDIT: seems supertech I can't actually email them they are like a secret manufacturer for Walmart and I know emailing 'walmart' will get me no answers.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1403744
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1857622

Last edited:
BUMP

I joined this forum just to ask this, thinking yall would know
cry.gif

There must be thousands of people wondering the same thing since Walmart stupidly discontinued their 'SAE 30 Mower oil'. Possibly googling and will find this thread.
Sure 10w-30 is ok but yes SAE30 is better for Summer.

1) which of these two is better suited for mowers
2) which is cleaner burning, or would 'SAE 30 mower oil" (such as briggs/Honda etc quarts) be the cleanest (no unnecessary additives etc fumes).

I'm gonna give it a shot emailing Walmart, I think they owe it to the consumers since they discontinued the regular SAE30 but getting these questions answered from them, well, we'll see what they say but I'm not too confident about it.

Tractor Supply or Rural King have options for straight 30 weight in gallon or larger containers. I have been perfectly happy with the Traveller brand in two gallon jugs from Tractor Supply.

My GCV 160 Honda engine on a Honda self propelled mower would have to be topped off every mow using Pennzoil 10W-30 conventional. Switched over to Kohler dual rated universal engine oil, and consumption immediately stopped. Picked up the big jugs of Briggs SAE 30 on clearance at Walmart couple years back, and there is no consumption with that oil either.

I saw the rotella diesel SAE30 on the shelf and was going to email them. Seems it should be ok based on this thread link, and basically the same sort of thing as the 2 gallon diesel/gas supertech sae30.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2305551/1

i'm just gonna stick with the quarts of the SAE HD-30 supertech for $2.78 each I pictured
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Conventional-SAE-HD-30-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16565394

I guess it's basically the same as this Castrol SAE 30 HD I've used before and was suggested that oil for the larger mowers and was happy with it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-30W-Conventional-Motor-Oil-1-QT/17253555

I guess yes HD heavy Duty might actually be better than non-HD even for just a smaller push mower, and that yes maybe there's extra additives that make the fumes a bit more toxic than non-HD but the difference is hopefully/probably negligible. I think the Diesel/Gas might actually have more toxic additives fuming compared to HD SAE30 but again probably not a big deal if engine doesn't smoke in the first place like mine.

I will keep a look out for tractor supply if I go that way, or other places that might have non-HD straight 30 but the supertech HD30 should be fine.

Sound about right?

The CF is an older diesel oil rating which that oil is.

CF-2
Obsolete
Service typical of two-stroke cycle diesel engines requiring highly effective control over cylinder and ring-face scuffing and deposits. Oils designed for this service have been in existence since 1994 and may be used when API Service Category CD-II is recommended. These oils do not necessarily meet the requirements of API CF or CF-4 unless they pass the test requirements for these categories.

CF
Obsolete
Service typical of indirect-injection diesel engines and other diesel engines that use a broad range of fuel types, including those using fuel with high sulfur content; for example, over 0.5% wt. Effective control of piston deposits, wear and copper-containing bearing corrosion is essential for these engines, which may be naturally aspirated, turbocharged or supercharged. Oils designated for this service have been in existence since 1994 and may be used when API Service Category CD is recommended.

I just don't understand why so many want to go as cheap as possible on OPE maintenance when the prices are going up for replacements. IMHO, stay with high quality items and keep it for 20 yrs.

I use ST 10w-30 or 10w-40 (which ever I happen to pick up) in my OPE and I'm in South Carolina. They are both 30's when at operating temps. String trimmer, push mower, garden tractor and 8.5kw generator. I also maintain the same type of equipment that is used to cut grass (mostly weeds) at a 5 acre TV tower site. Used the straight 30 years ago but got harder to find. I think the OPE's run better on the multi grades,

Last edited:
There is nothing really wrong with straight 30wt oil, and if it's available, no reason to not use it. But, there are better choices, ie. 10w30syn, or 15w40 dino come to mind. You can find ST 15w40 CJ/SN fairly easily, and you'd be hard pressed to prove any oil better for almost any ope from the lowly push mower right up to the most expensive 20-35hp ZTR or tractor, water or air cooled. So why fuss over 30wt that's hard to find.

Finding a straight 30wt on the shelves at any of the walmarts in my area just do not exist. Was told they will not carry it. I am moving on
to 15/40 delo for the air cools and syn 10/30 for the gen sets. Now I am down to just using 2 types of oil.

Originally Posted by passgas55
Finding a straight 30wt on the shelves at any of the walmarts in my area just do not exist. Was told they will not carry it. I am moving on
to 15/40 delo for the air cools and syn 10/30 for the gen sets. Now I am down to just using 2 types of oil.

That is crazy. All of my local Walmart's stock it, along with any of the auto parts stores like NAPA, AZ, AAP, or O'reillys.

Walmart used to outsource their house brand oil to Warren Performance Products, a well known oil manufacturer. I don't know if it is the same now or not.

If I'm correct, 30wt oil is not regulated as far as zinc and some other adds, so that really doesn't mean that an SG oil is any better for small engines than an SN plus, as far as zinc concerned.
Also, Walmart here does "usually" has 30wt oil in stock. It's harder to find than 15w40 around here, but it is out there. If you look at the sus visc of 30wt and 15w40 they are fairly close, and since almost ever place I shop has 15w40, and it does give slightly better starting in cooler weather, I choose it. I also don't believe that oil companies/blenders put their best effort into 30wt oil, as it just simply is not a big seller. Let's face it, they could do away with it all together and there wouldn't be a big issue in most cases.My feeling is, IF I were to use 30wt and thought that it "had" to be used, I'd just go with synthetic 10w30.

Last edited:
Order SAE 30 on Walmart's website and pick it up at the store when it arrives about 3 days later. I see no value in insisting on a 30 weight oil when so many excellent name brand synthetics 10w30, 15w40 around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back