Rotella T1 SAE 30 ok to use in gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1 year old Exmark ZTR mower with a liquid cooled kawi engine that I had been using Rotella SAE 30 in. The oil used to be rated for gas engines. Somebody on the board pointed out to me that it was no longer gas engine rated. This was after I had chnged the oil. I checked my jug and sure enough, no gas rating.
Do I need to drain this oil out?
Thanks

As pointed out in the link, it was an SJ rated oil. Since SJ is no longer supported, it is not listed. I use it in my Snapper mower with a B$S engine with great results. Also is run in my son's mower as well. A very robust oil quite suitable for air cooled engines calling for a 30W oil!

That is an excellent choice for your engine. Regardless of "rating", it's a robust oil with exactly the qualities you want.

I noticed that the DELO 400 30wt. oil has retained it's dual rating, as have other oils such as that marketed by Kohler.

While many here speculate that the Rotella T1 is still suitable for gasoline engines, I wish there was more technical answers available.

Either they did not wish to spend for gasoline certification, or they changed the formula to make it unsuitable for gasoline engine use. What, if any, reason would it's chemistry not be suitable for gasoline engine use. Anyone?

Diesel engines are more demanding with soot,temps,HTHS,etc,etc any oil cert for that application would be more them adequate for gasoline.

Originally Posted By: daman
Diesel engines are more demanding with soot,temps,HTHS,etc,etc any oil cert for that application would be more them adequate for gasoline.

I agree. A heavy duty oil like rotella T1 is more than adequate in a gas engine.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Originally Posted By: daman

I agree. A heavy duty oil like rotella T1 is more than adequate in a gas engine.

Yep..

I email Shell about the T1.
This is what they have to say

"Yes, Shell Rotella T1 Oil SAE 30 has been reformulated compared to
previous versions of the product. Unfortunately, we no longer
recommend the product for use in gasoline engines"

For me with my gas engines in warranty I will pass. They do not reommend for gasoline engine use.

Originally Posted By: passgas55
I email Shell about the T1.
This is what they have to say

"Yes, Shell Rotella T1 Oil SAE 30 has been reformulated compared to
previous versions of the product. Unfortunately, we no longer
recommend the product for use in gasoline engines"

For me with my gas engines in warranty I will pass. They do not reommend for gasoline engine use.

That's interesting, but puts doubt in my mind regarding answers we get from company technical sources (duh). Here's my reply from May 2010, regarding use of T1 in a commercial Exmark Z turn mower with air cooled engine (emphasizing heavy duty use):

"Rotella T1 SAE 30 is suitable for this application although the SJ is no longer claimed. An alternative is the Shell HD motor oil SAE 30 for which we claim SM, the highest API gasoline rating that will cover previous categories SL and SJ.

Regards,
Keith Pxxxx
Shell Technical Information
800-237-8645 Opt 4, 1

My problem with this answer is that he is implying that the SM oil is as suitable as the HDEO oil.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
That's interesting, but puts doubt in my mind regarding answers we get from company technical sources (duh).

Sounds like regurgitated lawyer speak.

When the authorities say "gas engine", I wonder if they're referring to gasoline automobile engines? If so, they most certainly would not be recommending an oil that is not "energy conserving" oil.

The way I look at it, an oil that can handle life in a diesel engine can handle just about anything else. Hence my use of Rotella T and 10W40 Formula Shell in numerous OPE and recreational vehicle applications.

If the engine is out of warranty I do not see a problem. If you do have an engine failure under warranty and they ask you what oil you are using, T1 specs will work against you.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
As pointed out in the link, it was an SJ rated oil. Since SJ is no longer supported, it is not listed. I use it in my Snapper mower with a B$S engine with great results. Also is run in my son's mower as well. A very robust oil quite suitable for air cooled engines calling for a 30W oil!

+1 My B&S motor loves it.

I ended up with a 2 gallon container of Super Tec 30wt fleet oil. Same specs as the T1 for diesel with also a gasoline rating of sh/sj. This will be my oil for all my summer time air cool engine oil. After all my stock of PP is used up I will use M1 HM 10/30 in my standby generator and pickup truck.I will still use 15/40 delo 400 for the tractor and 4 wheeler. I could use the fleet super tec 30wt in the tractor and 4 wheeler if I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back