Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries coming with thicker battery posts now?

Just picked up a fresh, made in 12/22, 24F Everstart Maxx car battery. I've got a few different sizes types of this brand and they all had narrow battery terminal posts, requiring me to shim both my truck and van to make the clamps hold on.

The new one has meaty, chunky, beefy, thick battery posts. No shimming on this new battery. They just made the best battery for my money, even better.

The old Maxx 24F was 7 years old, and still cranked hard without ever failing, but figured to play it safe and retire it before it becomes an issue.

Did I just get a fluke? Anyone else see the same thing? It's really obvious when your clamps bottom out before they get tight, and need shims, then they don't need shims at all, with a few threads left before bottom-out using a thicker battery post.

It's a Johnson Control battery, btw. I only get the Maxx JC batteries, not the others.

No JC Maxx batteries at the regional Walmarts. Haven't seen one in two or three years.

What part of the country is your location ?

Washington State. I've always been able to get the JC ones.

Serial numbers show JC

Clarios is who bought out Johnson Controls.. And yes I have noticed they've improved the posts! If you look at the base of the post you'll see "notches" that look like gear teeth holding the post into the plastic. It's no longer that smooth/round base JC had. Plus the posts are thicker, I had to open up the battery cable clamp a little more when installing a new Everstart MAXX 24 in my scion tC.

I presume battery terminals are pretty standard sized and the 24F I bought in 2019 required no shims. It's a MAXX as well, made by JCI.

I presume battery terminals are pretty standard sized and the 24F I bought in 2019 required no shims. It's a MAXX as well, made by JCI.

There are DIN (T-1) and JIS (T-3) terminal size standards for automotive batteries.

DIN vs. JIS Terminals

On many/most vehicles, the terminal clamps have identical inner diameters for both the positive and negative clamps. In the past, I have had to shim the negative post on certain Hondas to get the negative clamp to bind securely on a few aftermarket (Clarios/JCI and East Penn) batteries. Here are the shims that I used:

Battery Terminal Shims

Last edited:
There are DIN (T-1) and JIS (T-3) terminal size standards for automotive batteries.

DIN vs. JIS Terminals

On many/most vehicles, the terminal clamps have identical inner diameters for both the positive and negative clamps. In the past, I have had to shim the negative post on certain Hondas to get the negative clamp to bind securely on a few aftermarket (Clarios/JCI and East Penn) batteries. Here are the shims that I used:

Battery Terminal Shims
My Toyota vehicles are both like your Hondas. Negative terminal is larger than the post, by a hair, so after time it can't clamp down all the way.

I'm stoked. I no longer have to hang my head in shame when the techs at the shop make fun of my super janky lame-o shims.

It can be pretty scary (for a minute) when the battery clamp seems like it is tight, but pops off while driving. Then go to start the car, and nothing even clicks. :oops:

A review posted this month at walmart.com was complaining about their new Maxx battery having skinny posts.

Back