2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L Battery Question

Hello,

My friend’s above cited ride needs a new battery. The one in the photo is the OEM battery which is currently testing at 10.4

This appears to be a group 94 or H7 size.

More interesting to me is the fuse box connected to the battery. I’ve never seen that setup before.

Replacement = remove the negative then positive battery cables, then remove the fuse block assembly? The “tie down” is on the bottom engine side of the battery.

Thinking of getting an Everstart Maxx as the replacement.

Thoughts?

Everstart Maxx would be fine. Probably will be the most affordable.

Yes, the new GMs do have fuses on a tray/panel affixed to the top of the battery. It comes off easily with a couple of tabs to push back. Not hard, but it is in the way.

IMG_0203.jpeg

Reactions: 4WD
The $64k question is: will I need to move that support arm above it?

Yeah I also removed the arm on a 18 Tahoe and 16 Silverado when I changed batteries.

Support arm needs to be removed. Coolant reservoir needs to be unbolted and shifted to the front some. Annoying setup, but in the end not that hard. Just allocate more time and patience than normally needed for a battery replacement.

Thanks, everyone!

Now, about that “more time and patience” thing……..

Is that available on Amazon?

Support arm needs to be removed. Coolant reservoir needs to be unbolted and shifted to the front some. Annoying setup, but in the end not that hard. Just allocate more time and patience than normally needed for a battery replacement.

That coolant reservoir has no room to move directly forward.

Same setup still on the 2019 Yukon Denali. I am currently adding a hot lead at the unused position. I really don't like the setup near the engine heat, when there is still room (and even what looks like the battery base stamping) at the front left corner. If the intake air/filter box was flipped, it could even be on the right side. I happen to love side post batteries too.

Just a plastic air box and coolant jug - unless you want to risk hand injury ~ not hard …

Done!

Thanks, BITOGERs.

I had helped him with the battery in his wife’s ‘08 Altima so I thought “two terminal connections and one or two hold down clamps. Easy!”

Not!

I removed the support arm and the 90 degree support arm in the middle of that long arm. I didn’t have to move the coolant tank. Somehow I managed to wrestle the battery out. And a new one back in.

Fortunately, Walmart had an H7 as pictured by 4WD above.

All good, but that’s the first time I’ve actually gotten a look under the hood at a GM 5.3L.

Any idea why GM would place that fuse block on top of the battery? Obviously I have never seen that type of setup.

I noted the air box used screws instead of clamps.

And to stir things up a bit going into the weekend, I noted “0w-20” on the oil filler cap.

He has ALL of his mechanical work performed at the dealership, except tires. And now, battery replacement.

I asked him what brand and viscosity oil his dealership used.

“Whatever they think is best.”

Hmmmmm……….

If you took a statistically sound survey of car owners, I’m guessing (statistically sound, right?) 99.7% would answer the same way.

He doesn’t tow, but, 0w-20 in a 5.3L?!!

Done!

Thanks, BITOGERs.

I had helped him with the battery in his wife’s ‘08 Altima so I thought “two terminal connections and one or two hold down clamps. Easy!”

Not!

I removed the support arm and the 90 degree support arm in the middle of that long arm. I didn’t have to move the coolant tank. Somehow I managed to wrestle the battery out. And a new one back in.

Fortunately, Walmart had an H7 as pictured by 4WD above.

All good, but that’s the first time I’ve actually gotten a look under the hood at a GM 5.3L.

Any idea why GM would place that fuse block on top of the battery? Obviously I have never seen that type of setup.

I noted the air box used screws instead of clamps.

And to stir things up a bit going into the weekend, I noted “0w-20” on the oil filler cap.

He has ALL of his mechanical work performed at the dealership, except tires. And now, battery replacement.

I asked him what brand and viscosity oil his dealership used.

“Whatever they think is best.”

Hmmmmm……….

If you took a statistically sound survey of car owners, I’m guessing (statistically sound, right?) 99.7% would answer the same way.

He doesn’t tow, but, 0w-20 in a 5.3L?!!
Nice work !
My 2017 got 0W20 until 60K … then bumped to 5W30 …
Also put in an AFM disabler from Range …
The 2022 has a more standard place for the battery - perhaps dealership feedback helped …

Back