Walmart battery warranty policy

Got an Everstart Max in my Tahoe from 1/2021. I wanted to swap it out for a fresh one -- I do battery tests every few months and this one is showing weak. FWIW -- this battery has been abused pretty bad.

I don't have the receipt super handy, can they do all that they need from the serial number on the battery tag/sticker?

Also, does the replacement battery pick up where the original one left off as far as warranty date, or does the clock start over again?

Lastly, do they let you swap group sizes or is it original size only? Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hrv
Battery warranties start form purchase date. Otherwise some people would try to bring in a battery every 2 years.
I have no idea how Walmart proof of warranty works; keep your receipt in the glove box!

I buy from Costco, because they have the record of your purchase on computer based on your membership number. Under warranty, they do not pro rate the time used; they pull another battery off the shelf.

Good luck!

Walmart scans the barcode on the battery in my experience and it ties back to that one and it knows the in warranty date.

However, return it to a Walmart without an auto center. The customer service desk will return it no problem. With an auto center, they’ll probably have you go have it tested first.

Battery warranties start form purchase date. Otherwise some people would try to bring in a battery every 2 years.
I have no idea how Walmart proof of warranty works; keep your receipt in the glove box!

I buy from Costco, because they have the record of your purchase on computer based on your membership number. Under warranty, they do not pro rate the time used; they pull another battery off the shelf.

Good luck!
I would love to check out a Costco sometime. the closest one to me is in Rochester NY about 1.5 hours away. They sound like a very nice store.

Walmart scans the barcode on the battery in my experience and it ties back to that one and it knows the in warranty date.

However, return it to a Walmart without an auto center. The customer service desk will return it no problem. With an auto center, they’ll probably have you go have it tested first.
Ours that doesn't have an auto center told me I had to goto an auto center to get it tested because their tester didn't work (or she didn't know how to run it). My guess it depends on the competency of the worker.

Got an Everstart Max... this battery has been abused pretty bad.

I don't have the receipt super handy, can they do all that they need from the serial number on the battery tag/sticker?

Also, does the replacement battery pick up where the original one left off as far as warranty date, or does the clock start over again?

Lastly, do they let you swap group sizes or is it original size only? Thanks.

Not to be the devil's advocate, but if you abused it, should the warranty cover that?

Anything with a warranty, I make a copy of the receipt as a digital file, even if it's an online receipt where you "think" you could look it up later, but sometimes you can't (like ebay is only 3 years, or you get locked out of your account or something).

Replacement only has remainder of warranty that the original purchase had, and IIRC, since it was a 2021 purchase, they had already dropped down to only 3 yr replacement, no longer an additional +2 years pro-rated like they did until the late 2010's (2018, or 2019 it changed, IIRC). Costco also reduced their warranty period to 3 yrs, not sure who did it first and who reacted by doing the same.

You cannot swap group sizes, though if it had been within 90 days of purchase, you can return it for a refund and apply that to purchase of a different group size.

Generally speaking, battery warranties never "start over" with each exchange. Think about it - people would just keep returning their battery and exchanging it for a new one.

do they let you swap group sizes or is it original size only?
Like for like. Only way around that is to return it to a location that doesn't have the same size in stock and maybe they'll give you a gift card.

I was told that if you dont have the original receipt they will go by the Manufacturer Date code, so you loose a few months. For them to test yours they have to be able to charge it before testing so most stores use to just do the trade but recently with the shortages they have been testing them.

Walmart used to do what samven mentions.

If you can find a paper battery catalogue hanging around their TLE area, it will have the current policy in the back of the book. It is written towards the associates, not the customers, so it's good info to have before starting the conversation.

In the old days I came upon a "7 year" yellow battery that was 3yr, 4mo old. They prorated it off the date sticker and I could use the money towards a cheaper model. Between the two core returns (heh) and the credit my new battery was just a buck. This was before serial numbers.

Return it to a location that doesn't have a "tire and lube center" and they conveniently skip that 😉 Ooops, I see nick1994 already mentioned this.
Doesn't always work. About two years ago, I took a failed battery to my nearest WM for an exchange. This is in a town of about 3,500 that does not have a TLE section. I brought the battery in to get exchanged and an associate told me that it needed to be hooked up to their "battery analyzer" to have it checked out and the process can take up to 90 minutes. There was only one problem. I was told that another customer and JUST brought a battery in and the test had just started. (In their defense, the associate did point to a battery hooked up to it) So, theoretically, it could be three hours before I would get a decision on my battery. I walked out with my battery and got it exchanged at another WM that did no tests on it and just took my word on it. This store did have a TLE section. Go figure.
I haven't lost faith in them. About a week ago, I took a failed 8-year old WM battery out of my pickup and bought a $60 replacement. I could tell for a few weeks that the battery was on its last breath when the truck cranked over. A night with temperatures in the single digits did it in for good. The new battery has the truck cranking over better than it has for years.

I walked out with my battery and got it exchanged at another WM that did no tests on it and just took my word on it. This store did have a TLE section.
I've noticed at some of them with TLE section may just take them and test them later, if they test good they'll sell them as a good used battery if it's bad they'll return them to the manufacturer as a core.

Doesn't always work....
I'd have a manager called and tell them to honor their warranty and to expect someone to wait 1-1/2, 3, 4-1/2 hours for them to determine it is ridiculous. Add in that "this battery just left my 16-year old daughter stranded" or something.

I've noticed at some of them with TLE section may just take them and test them later, if they test good they'll sell them as a good used battery if it's bad they'll return them to the manufacturer as a core.
One store around here seems to do that as they have a small rack (in between the auto service "counter" and the walk-in door for their auto bays) with used batteries.

Back