Walmart and Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went into Walmart this evening. I said to the clerk, not much oil selection. I said no Castrol 0/40 in 1qt bottles, noticed only a couple of M1 0/40. She said to me Walmart is getting ready to phase out Valvoline products, didn't know why, but said they don't sell. Walmart is going to sell what sells quickly. This Walmart store is located in Roseville CA

I picked up a 5qt jug of PPPP 10/30. API, SN. Must be old. Dust on the container, not SN plus. They did have 5/30 SN Plus. The Noack on this from previous post said it should be around 4.7%.

Sure would like to know what the real difference is with this vs the PUPPP. Supposedly the PUPPP has a higher noack at 5.7% why?

Depends on the store 6 months ago I went in and found two gold jugs of Castrol. $17 each normally $27.XX at that time and back again now at over $30.I asked the clerk what was going on? Oh we're closing that out.

Last edited:
My Walmart raised the price of M1 by $5, making Valvoline full synthetic about $6 less than M1 (five quart container).

It worked- I purchased the Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage over M1 (I usually buy M1). Not sure if Valvoline is as good as M1- but the savings triggered me to take the risk.

Honestly, if you want Valvoline, hit up NAPA. They're still running a deal on NAPA brand synthetic (which is identical to SynPower) for 3.79 a qt. It's good oil, and NAPA sells good filters to go along with it.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Honestly, if you want Valvoline, hit up NAPA. They're still running a deal on NAPA brand synthetic (which is identical to SynPower) for 3.79 a qt. It's good oil, and NAPA sells good filters to go along with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we established that while Napa Synthetic is made by Valvoline (as it says on the bottle) that does NOT mean it's identical to SynPower/Advanced Synthetic?

Originally Posted by dogememe

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we established that while Napa Synthetic is made by Valvoline (as it says on the bottle) that does NOT mean it's identical to SynPower/Advanced Synthetic?

It has been commented on many times here that the two are not identical.

I also find it hard to believe that Walmart would stop selling Valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

Well, here's the PQIA testing for NAPA:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/napasyn.htm

And for Valvoline:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

The viscosity at -30 is different, but other than that they seem to be 99% identical. A pinch here and there of additive difference, but enough I'd be willing to chalk it up to manufacturing differences.

The NAPA is actually a little better in volatility, too.

Now, formulas change and all that, but given UOA and VOAs around here they look to still be close enough to make no real difference.

Originally Posted by GON
My Walmart raised the price of M1 by $5, making Valvoline full synthetic about $6 less than M1 (five quart container).

It worked- I purchased the Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage over M1 (I usually buy M1). Not sure if Valvoline is as good as M1- but the savings triggered me to take the risk.

Risk?

I hope my local Walmarts don't discontinue carrying the Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 ... my vehicles run quiet on that stuff.

I went in my local Walmart and they have no Euro oil whatsoever. Actually they have stock of everything Valvoline here, probably the best stocked brand.

I was just saying,, not a Valvoline fan

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I hope my local Walmarts don't discontinue carrying the Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 ... my vehicles run quiet on that stuff.

^^^^^^

I highly doubt that... In my Wally World Valvoline oils are the ones that are in good stock.. hardly any Castrol at all... I mean it is way way low. Pennzoil oils are hit and miss.... Mobil 1 oils are in stock pretty good.. This is true at my close Wally World and the one 42 miles west in Mechanicsville...

I think there may well be a reset of the whole oil section coming up soon.

Funny that this post came up.
smile.gif

I was in W*M yesterday in the oil aisle and was talking to a gentleman who was stocking windshield wipers on the shelves. He asked me, "can I help you find something?" I said "no however, I do have a question".

I asked about W*M getting rid of any particular brands of oil or slow selling oil in order to make shelf space, or if there was any oils severely discounted in price?

He said, "not at this store but, they let us know at the very last minute when this does happen".

Then for a few more minutes we talked about the oil that W*M discontinues/discounts. Usually they're oils in the weights that I don't use such as 15W40 or 20W50. ONLY once in a while do I see the 0W/5W/10W being on closeout on a shelf in the corner. Sometime I get lucky and other times they're still no deal like AAP for example.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I went into Walmart this evening. I said to the clerk, not much oil selection. I said no Castrol 0/40 in 1qt bottles, noticed only a couple of M1 0/40. She said to me Walmart is getting ready to phase out Valvoline products, didn't know why, but said they don't sell. Walmart is going to sell what sells quickly.

You believed that woman clerk?.... C'mon, at least go ask the store manager for a better opinion.
I seriously doubt Walmart will stop selling Valvoline products.
I would have busted-out laughing at that clerk. That's insane. Do you have any idea how much money Walmart has made off Valvoline in the past 30+ years?..... probably a billion dollars or more.

I seriously doubt Walmart bigwigs even allow that particular store to stop selling it.

If they are eliminating one brand its often because they have another to replace it which costs them less money. I often get to stop in a WM store 100 miles from the one here. That store has items the local store does not have. I asked a friend who works there about why I can find this item in Marg. store and not here. He said that WM sends them what WM sends them, they have no control. There it not someone in the store placing the order. WM monitors every cash register sale (as well as every customer they can ID) purchases and restocks the store automatically. To WM, oil is oil. They have DC's all over and if they run low on a item (generically speaking) they find another to replace it.

WM is famous for this. WM also sells shelf space to vendor. Frito-Lay for example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GON

There is no risk there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back