Walmart and Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I went into Walmart this evening. I said to the clerk, not much oil selection. I said no Castrol 0/40 in 1qt bottles, noticed only a couple of M1 0/40. She said to me Walmart is getting ready to phase out Valvoline products, didn't know why, but said they don't sell. Walmart is going to sell what sells quickly.

You believed that woman clerk?.... C'mon, at least go ask the store manager for a better opinion.
I seriously doubt Walmart will stop selling Valvoline products.
I would have busted-out laughing at that clerk. That's insane. Do you have any idea how much money Walmart has made off Valvoline in the past 30+ years?..... probably a billion dollars or more.

I seriously doubt Walmart bigwigs even allow that particular store to stop selling it.

Stores have no control what they stock. Wal-Mart makes this decision.

Walmart is going to sell what sells quickly.

They could start by stocking the shelves with what sells.

The walmart near me seems to never have any pennzoil conventional unless it's 10w40. The shelves are empty for weeks. Meanwhile they have shelves lined with Royal Purple and Mobil 1 extended performance.

Last edited:
I have noticed oil brands seem to have strong followings that are regional. I imagine Walmart reacts to that by adapting to local sales. It would be interesting to see a nationwide map that illustrated regional market share.

Doesn't affect me....Valvoline just plain stanks !

I tried Valvoline once...at the end of the OCI upon draining it was the worst smelling oil I have ever encountered. Worse than some rank gear oils. For that reason alone I won't buy it again. Returned promptly to Sopus and the smell was banished forever.

The End.

I think I'm on the 5th consecutive runs of VWB 5w30 in the 05 Matrix with 150k on it. Never burns a drop of it unlike some of the other oils that I've run in it previously. Kind of nice not topping it off but that's just me.

In the '12 Camry I'm running Idemitsu 0w20 and consumption has increased with that oil. I picked up that oil on clearance at AA. Some of it at .85/qt and some more off it at .05/qt. Including one gallon jug of it for .05. Store located in an urban so-so area. While the AA store in a very nice area wouldn't sell it to me. Although they did offer to sell it at $5/qt. Glad I declined that offer. Plus they had they had an attitude there.

Someone else on here commented the same with that oil but with 5w20. To the point that they did an oil change early to get that stuff out of there. I did top it off with some PUP 5w20 instead of more of the same. Start up noise has lessened. It will be due for it's annual oil change soon( a month or two). Thanks.

A Walmart store clerk is the last place I'd go for authoritative information. She may have been told that, but I would guess it was just the SN products being cleared out in favor of SN+, a process that has been unfolding throughout the different brands.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I went into Walmart this evening. I said to the clerk, not much oil selection. I said no Castrol 0/40 in 1qt bottles, noticed only a couple of M1 0/40. She said to me Walmart is getting ready to phase out Valvoline products, didn't know why, but said they don't sell. Walmart is going to sell what sells quickly.

You believed that woman clerk?.... C'mon, at least go ask the store manager for a better opinion.
I seriously doubt Walmart will stop selling Valvoline products.
I would have busted-out laughing at that clerk. That's insane. Do you have any idea how much money Walmart has made off Valvoline in the past 30+ years?..... probably a billion dollars or more.

I seriously doubt Walmart bigwigs even allow that particular store to stop selling it.

Their was very little of it, most qts of it was the 5/40 mst. Only a jugs of 5/20 5/30 and 0/20. I believe the woman when the Valvoline shelf's are empty

At least a decade ago, Walmart stores could get into an ordering loop. Used to like Diet Dr. Thunder (a doctor drink that sounds like a laxative). My local Walmart sold more of it than any other house sodas. It simply disappeared from the shelves. Answer was that some shelver didn't shelve it. Probably noticed that it was adding to his work load because of its popularity. Not on the shelf, not getting sold, not getting ordered from Bentonville. Literally had none of it at this one particular store for months. Finally called the grocery manager and the situation was corrected. Back on the shelf, back to being sold.

In those days Walmart built a very sophisticated back end to their warehousing but it could be completely overthrown by one lazy stocker who didn't want to work. Same thing could be happening at this particular store although you would think things would have improved since 2006.

Someone says something on the Internet and it becomes the truth.

I just got back from my local Walmart. I asked the clerk in the oil aisle about any changes upcoming and she said Walmart is dropping Pennzoil. The push will be towards Walmart's Supertech brand.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Honestly, if you want Valvoline, hit up NAPA. They're still running a deal on NAPA brand synthetic (which is identical to SynPower) for 3.79 a qt. It's good oil, and NAPA sells good filters to go along with it.

Great call!

At our local Walmart, the empty shelves are usually Valvoline then Pennzoil. Castrol and Mobil 1 are always in stock next to SuperTech.

bla bla bla!! whatever sells in your area. otherwise order it in with free ship if min order is met. prolly most fake synthetic group III's with same spec are very similar, super tec included. so buy what makes you feel better!!!

Whatever meets the latest spec (SN/SN+) is just fine for me. If it has the Dexos certification, even better (additional performance standard). If it's on sale/rebate available, even better. So I usually get Mobil 1 EP 5w30... 5 quart jug costs about $14 out the door including taxes, after rebate.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

The walmart near me seems to never have any pennzoil conventional unless it's 10w40. The shelves are empty for weeks. Meanwhile they have shelves lined with Royal Purple and Mobil 1 extended performance.

I find this very, very hard to believe. They would surely find some product to fill the empty shelf (even temporarily), or find another supplier that can deliver product more consistently, or find employees that will do their jobs stocking the shelf. Not sit empty for weeks.

Did you check SHIP TO STORE from online option?? I bet you can do that or just straight Online from anywhere. I am willing to bet they just aren't selling much of that there and it's a matter of selection vs SPACE. Those smaller stores like we have may be a super store in name but not close in size. It could be just a matter of sales vs room....

Originally Posted by DGXR
Whatever meets the latest spec (SN/SN+) is just fine for me. If it has the Dexos certification, even better (additional performance standard). If it's on sale/rebate available, even better. So I usually get Mobil 1 EP 5w30... 5 quart jug costs about $14 out the door including taxes, after rebate.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I find this very, very hard to believe. They would surely find some product to fill the empty shelf (even temporarily), or find another supplier that can deliver product more consistently, or find employees that will do their jobs stocking the shelf. Not sit empty for weeks.

Ahh think again..... The shelves have been empty for weeks at both the Walmart's I go into..... I just went into my Walmart in my area and it was empty in numerous places.... Something is going on here....

Last edited:
WM in Canada had deals on black Friday and the week after Christmas. VWB Was $11.88 for 5 liter jugs.

SynPower was in sale for $19.88 for 5 liter jugs only on black Friday.

They Only stocked 5w-30, 5w-20 and a few 10w-30 in VWB for both sales.

Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Honestly, if you want Valvoline, hit up NAPA. They're still running a deal on NAPA brand synthetic (which is identical to SynPower) for 3.79 a qt. It's good oil, and NAPA sells good filters to go along with it.

Great call!

Incidentally, i called Valvoline today for something else and asked if their NAPA oil is SN Plus (as are all Valvoline oils), The answer was "yes". The bottles are in the process of showing this but it's met SN Plus for several months now.

Regular Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly SynPower) isn't available in Canada. The only Valvoline synthetic available at the retail level in Camada is the stuff with Maxlife technology.

Originally Posted by JC1
WM in Canada had deals on black Friday and the week after Christmas. VWB Was $11.88 for 5 liter jugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Uregina09
Regular Valvoline Full Synthetic (formerly SynPower) isn't available in Canada. The only Valvoline synthetic available at the retail level in Camada is the stuff with Maxlife technology.

Originally Posted by JC1

JC1 must be able to get ahold of it somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back