Wal-Mart is discontinuing carrying Ultra-

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I have noticed, I see people at WM either buying: GTX, Rotella or SuperTech.

The M1 stuff is always run over and picked through, so someone is buying it, or it is being called for by the customers getting their oil changed.

The 'second' shelf with QS, Valvoline and MC has very little room at present. I am surprised at how little shelf space Valvoline has, and I feel this has to be an agreed upon event between Valvoline and WM.

The fact that RP has shelf space on the main shelf I feel is a joke, but again it is all marketing and I'd bet that RP doesn't pay for that space for long.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
It's sad that people will spend $60 per week on cigarettes or $40 per weekend on beer yet they are too cheap to pay $25 for a quality motor oil every six months(Pennzoil Ultra).

True...

I'd bet that the recession is hurting a lot of people. Not that many cars on the road REQUIRE a full syn oil, so people are not buying it.

Even many of the new little turbo engines are not requiring full synthetic oil, and people aren't buying it.

The top seller at my local walmarts has to be SUPERTECH oil and filters. The last two times I have been there, they were OUT of the supertech 5w30, and low on the 10w30.

Ask Joe consumer what the worlds best engine oil is, they will say Mobil1. Most have never heard of Pennz Ultra. One decent ad campaign with a ferrari is not enough to compete with YEARS of brain programming from the Exxon Mobil corporation.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
It's sad that people will spend $60 per week on cigarettes or $40 per weekend on beer yet they are too cheap to pay $25 for a quality motor oil every six months(Pennzoil Ultra).

To most drivers in North America, SYNTHETIC MOBIL 1 and they don't see any reason to pay more than M1 for an unknown quality, that is reality.

To dethrone M1 as king of synthetic oil market, other companies must do better jobs in marketing.

bingo!

Too many users of PP and has worked too well for them to pay more most don't know the diff anyway between the two and with the economy every penny counts it was a bad decision for SOPUS to have two syn products in competition especially now maybe they should recall all the ultra mix it with pp and call it Pennz. Ultra Platinum....name sounds good even if the idea stinks!

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Both local Wallworlds had plenty of it in stock!

The new WalMart im near had a very disorganized Oil section. No PU to speak of (they DID have a container of Pennzoil Long Life Oil, lol.) They had a number of Sales and specials that were independent PU so i wont mention them...

But it was a mess.

Having visited WalMarts in several states, I can only conclude that they vary in selection of products? Prices dont differ too drastically, I see.

PU maybe is too "Niche." People should be fine with PP, as PU is for .. a Niche.
thumbsup2.gif

i havent seen it move at all in 5 wms i have been to...i bought a jug and did my part

it looks like QS and supertech sell the most at WM...i dont know why anyone would by valvoline at 15$ a jug, 25$ for syn

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Too many users of PP and has worked too well for them to pay more most don't know the diff anyway between the two and with the economy every penny counts it was a bad decision for SOPUS to have two syn products in competition especially now maybe they should recall all the ultra mix it with pp and call it Pennz. Ultra Platinum....name sounds good even if the idea stinks!

Yeah, but not Everyone is in a Recession.
thumbsup2.gif
The Ferrari people NEED their Ultra!!!
lol.gif

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Man, that does sound like a good name.
thumbsup2.gif

you are right, there are more important things in life than maintaining 25,000$ vehicles...spending a xtra 10$ for best oil at walmart is certainly a waste...as my in law says, AAA can just come tow his 99 camry anyways

Quaker State is huge here in the MidWest. It's funny to be on BitoG and not hear much about an oil that is such a big deal to most around here. They have a very large and very loyal following. The funny thing around here is Pennzoil YB... that old sludge wax rumor still persists and I can walk up to anyone here and ask them what oil and the first words out of their mouth is "anything but pennzoil". It's maddening! But you ask them what they would like to put in it and you get a lot of Quaker State's. Which is comical to me b/c these people don't realize the tie with Pennzoil. lol

We have people around here that love to spread rumors and badmouth Pennzoil. Saying things like: if you bring a pennzoil receipt to the dealer your warranty is void on the spot! or people talking about being a mechanic and saying they seen 100's of cars come in all sludged up w/ pennzoil.

It [censored] me off to no end b/c it's complete fabrications and old rumors that are still spread by word of mouth.

This imo is why Pennzoil has so severely concentrated all of their marketing around "cleaning" and being "factory clean" etc. I think this is to finally KILL these stupid word of mouth talk that is spread so much.

Pennzoil YB is probably THE very best conventional oil in the world and does keep a car's internals amazing spotless. I'd say Mobil Clean 5000 is right there w/ it, maybe a tab better even. But the point stands, Pennzoil YB is an awesome oil and in the MidWest it still gets treated with venom and hate. I love to tell the people that hate it and love Quaker State how Pennzoil owns them too and watch their faces. lol

On topic: Pennzoil Ultra is a very fine oil but the problem is and always will be Pennzoil Platinum. PP had really started gaining momentum and becoming a real favorite oil of so many. They had all those killer oil rebate specials that got BitoG into it and then followed up w/ amazing UOA after amazing UOA. So Ultra comes out and we find out it's just another Group III like PP so what's the point? PP already does an amazing job keeps everything spotless. If Ultra had came out as a Group V with a bit of some Group IV in the mix, I think it could have a nice niche following and it would have a very marketable space for it. This would be so much easier for people looking to get into a botique oil like Redline or such, could easily get the Ultra off the shelf instead. Ultra also shouldn't have tied into exclusively with Wal-Mart. They should have came out with oil deal specials at a more high end minded oil place like the parts stores. Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto and the like. Have an oil special like 5 quart jug of Ultra with a Pure 1 filter for $29.99 and do things like add the Ferrari hats with the jug would have been a nice touch. Think of a Group V and IV high end oil w/ a name like Pennzoil to market it and in a better place like parts stores where more hot rodder's and high end minded buyers are, make it a monthly special and these things would have found their place.

Ultra as it stands now, really doesn't offer anything over Platinum. It really doesn't. Factory clean was already achieved w/ Platinum and Platinum has a great following and highly respected, even here in the Midwest, where the PYB is so accosted. Ultra is a huge huge strikeout imo. The only way to save it now is to eliminate Pennzoil Platinum and sell the Ultra for the price that Platinum is sold at now. $21 at Wal-Mart now to compete with M1 and when M1 goes back to $26 so can they.

Last edited:
Considering that Wally is generally recognized as the class leader in distribution, I find it interesting that their oil sections vary so greatly. Neither of the local stores near me have ever carried Ultra in any size, and the "superstore" an hour away has only ever had quarts.

I have always been a Pennzoil supporter, but I agree with the others...I see no advantage to PU over PP.

What with the advertising banner at the top of this forum and SOPUS' willingness to solicit and answer questions about Ultra, I'd love to hear their response to this thread!

Seriously, I don't expect SOPUS or any other refiner to respond to similar threads. However, WallyWorld is the only place I've seen 5-qt. jugs of Ultra.

How does SOPUS expect to gain any resemblance of market share with Ultra if their marketing agreement for 5-qt. containers is solely with Wal-mart?

Has anyone seen those containers at other retailers for a somewhat similar price?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: badnews
This must be the reason no one has got the free hat

I got the hat a couple weeks back.

Already had a Ferrari cap, It's from Italy, GF picked it up on her trip to Italy last year. Actually made in Italy

Originally Posted By: dkryan

How does SOPUS expect to gain any resemblance of market share with Ultra if their marketing agreement for 5-qt. containers is solely with Wal-mart?

Has anyone seen those containers at other retailers for a somewhat similar price?

How many 5 qt jugs do other retailers sell anyway? AutoZone was about the first to respond with their 5+ qt jugs, but most outlets IF they carry jugs are usually 4 qt. At least that is my experience.

Prices are going up on conventional oil at two of the Michigan Walmart's I frequent. Valvoline conventional and Castrol conventional are over 15 dollars for 5 quart jugs. Mobil Clean 5000 remains 11.50 now and is my choice.

x

people must be very ignorant about pennzoil spanky if they still bring up the sludge storys...from what i hear engine makers changed something on motors w/o telling refiners which led to oil running hotter in engine during 70s leading to sludge...QS is a great oil for the price but i think PZ and mobil have best conv oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back