Wal-Mart is discontinuing carrying Ultra-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chet2
people must be very ignorant about pennzoil spanky if they still bring up the sludge storys...from what i hear engine makers changed something on motors w/o telling refiners which led to oil running hotter in engine during 70s leading to sludge...QS is a great oil for the price but i think PZ and mobil have best conv oils

yes, they are. like i said, it's very frustrating to deal with.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: chet2
people must be very ignorant about pennzoil spanky if they still bring up the sludge storys...from what i hear engine makers changed something on motors w/o telling refiners which led to oil running hotter in engine during 70s leading to sludge...QS is a great oil for the price but i think PZ and mobil have best conv oils

yes, they are. like i said, it's very frustrating to deal with.

I still run into Pennzoil sludge stories on Subaru boards. Seems like it's more often on the Forester board (older drivers?).

Someone recently posted that they would never run Mobil1 or Pennzoil, but was planning to switch to Rotella. I commented that Pennzoil is a great oil and is made by the same company as Rotella.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

Apparently not all WM carry the same products.
In my local walmart it is pretty much Castrol or Mobil.

The next Wal-Mart has QS & Pennzoil to the two above.
I picked up a 4.7L jug of PP there. Ultra is not choice at either of these two WMs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Apparently not all WM carry the same products.
In my local walmart it is pretty much Castrol or Mobil.

The next Wal-Mart has QS & Pennzoil to the two above.
I picked up a 4.7L jug of PP there. Ultra is not choice at either of these two WMs.

Since buying the $19 PP, I've been looking for Ultra but its either sold out, or the 2 of 3 WMs here that I usually check aren't carrying it. All 3 seem to love GTX. Its the most heavily stocked here and the one that's almost always on a rollback. They also seem to like Syntec, but Edge is outrageously priced and other, more exotic, Castrol products (like Syntec Blend) aren't stocked at all.

Not that I blame them. GTX was my oil of choice for years (a product of the old GTX advertising campaign I grew up with), and I'll still buy that or Syntec when the price is right. I don't see the point in Edge (for the price difference here), and the niche that Syntec blend is meant to fill is lost on me completely.

The Shell Rotella selection is terrible at all 3. Can Tire is better there, but its a little pricey.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: RedOak
Prices are going up on conventional oil at two of the Michigan Walmart's I frequent. Valvoline conventional and Castrol conventional are over 15 dollars for 5 quart jugs. Mobil Clean 5000 remains 11.50 now and is my choice.

x

Not for long.....(price wise)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back