Walmart And Chevron Supreme

Walmart notes this on Chevron Supreme oil........

Make sure to change out this oil every 3,000 miles or three months, whichever comes first. Check with your vehicle manual to determine that it's compatible with 5W30 formula.

I assumed it was a marketing ploy to get you to step up to Super Tech oil..........
I just called Chevron and this will be brought up today at a meeting. They were unaware of it.
I have been meaning to call for months.... finally did...............
Was that a sticker Walmart put on that oil, or just a sign close by?
That's crazy. 3,500 miles might be more believable than 3,000 miles given todays new crude and synth oils.

ridiculous. What does a extra 500 miles on top of 3000 accomplish?
All marketing. 25yrs ago the 3,000mi BS was touted day in day out. So these days 3,500 is kinda different, and since it's not the 3,000 from 25yrs ago that went on for a decade or so, 3,500 seems more plausible to many people who have no idea about oil.

All marketing. 25yrs ago the 3,000mi BS was touted day in day out. So these days 3,500 is kinda different, and since it's not the 3,000 from 25yrs ago that went on for a decade or so, 3,500 seems more plausible to many people who have no idea about oil.

That extra 500 does accomplish the goal, make the buyer comes back for more at 3,500mi and not 3,000mi.

Hyundai uses 3,750 miles for their severe service recommendation in the user manual, so 3,500 would seem plausible. The question remains why does Chevron do nothing to correct it?

Hyundai uses 3,750 miles for their severe service recommendation in the user manual, so 3,500 would seem plausible. The question remains why does Chevron do nothing to correct it?
ridiculous. What does a extra 750 miles on top of 3000 accomplish?

ridiculous. What does a extra 750 miles on top of 3000 accomplish?

Jimmy, the 3,750 miles severe service for Hyundai is exactly half of their 7,500 miles oil change interval for normal service. They did not start with 3,000 and add 750: they cut 7,500 in half.

Jimmy, the 3,750 miles severe service for Hyundai is exactly half of their 7,500 miles oil change interval for normal service. They did not start with 3,000 and add 750: they cut 7,500 in half.
Good to know Hyundai uses good math to derive a # by which the oil does not need to be changed yet. I did not know they divided by 2.

Good to know Hyundai uses good math to derive a # by which the oil does not need to be changed yet. I did not know they divided by 2.

nobody knows anything.

All my cars with an exception of one that specifies 0W20, recommend an oci but not an oil type. With my 0W20 car, I am limited to mostly synthetic but my other cars that specify 5/10W30 don't say dino , blend or syn. They just list the oci.

Are they telling me 7500 miles with 10W30 dino is same as 7500 miles with 10W30 Full Synthetic? That's why I ignore the owner's manuals.

nobody knows anything.

All my cars with an exception of one that specifies 0W20, recommend an oci but not an oil type. With my 0W20 car, I am limited to mostly synthetic but my other cars that specify 5/10W30 don't say dino , blend or syn. They just list the oci.

Are they telling me 7500 miles with 10W30 dino is same as 7500 miles with 10W30 Full Synthetic? That's why I ignore the owner's manuals.
Mine states Conventional 5w20 but Synthetic is acceptable as long as you use their specification.

2018 Grand Caravan
18250 miles

nobody knows anything.

So if it does not explicitly say standard , blend, or synthetic, doesn't that mean the maker does not care which type you use? It's a ploy to not specify a type, they want the general end-user to choose "the better" and more expensive oils because most of the info out there, much of it BS, wants the end-user to believe the std dino oil is inferior to a blended or full synth oil. Like taking it to a oil shop and the 14yr old oil tech tells you they can use the better synth oil for just $12 more. Since your manual does not specify a type the synth must be better, right? With modern oils of any type, there is no concrete proof that one oil type is any better than another when the oil is used within operational specs of the engine. The rest of the oil terms is just oil mumbo-jumbo for other to stay busy. Think about it this way, why all the effort in motor oils when the near future is all electric? Can you imagine what Elon thinks of BITOG, he's laughing so hard he's peeing his pants.

I just extend my oci with syn and reduce it with dino.

I typically change the oil sooner or sometimes much sooner than the OM recommendations depending on the car.

I just extend my oci with syn and reduce it with dino.

I typically change the oil sooner or sometimes much sooner than the OM recommendations depending on the car.
You think a modern non synth oil cannot go the same km or mi that a synth will? The folks doing all those UOA's might have some surprising info. I am still trying to find a good UOA place near me.

It was clearly Walmart advertising blurb not from Chevron. To tell you the truth if I were in marketing at a big oil company supplying to Walmart, I would have someone proofreading all of its ads for my products. You could use college interns to do that. To be unaware of it for months, Chevron seems asleep at the wheel.
Now this, I am willing to believe. I can't believe Chevron would say such a thing. 3000 miles regardless of vehicle or service or environment? No way.

Chevron doesn’t really push OCI like the other companies. They tend to leave to the automakers. That’s why you don’t see them pushing a 10k-15k-20k oil like Mobil or Castrol etc.

You think a modern non synth oil cannot go the same km or mi that a synth will? The folks doing all those UOA's might have some surprising info. I am still trying to find a good UOA place near me.

You would hope that a full or a good syn can take the abuse better and/or longer than a dino or blend. At least that's my theory for now.

I used my last batch of Costco Chevron Supreme 10W30 dino.
With dino, I start feeling uncomfortable after 4-4.5K miles and change the oil. With a good syn e.g. M1 EP 10W30 (15K miles oil) that I use in the same car, I've kept the oil up to 7-8K miles max. I also use PP 5W30 in the same car but change it at 6K miles. Currently it has Magnatec GTX Full Syn 10W30. Haven't decided when to dump it yet but the color still looks pretty good after 1500 miles and hasn't burned any oil. Magnatec has a very good Noack (6.9) also.

Back