Wagon superiority thread

I actually want and use the cargo SF that a boxy tailed SUV has to offer …
TourX cargo is huge, comparable to the wider Jeep Grand Cherokee for example. Not only can it haul very well but its got a perfect low flat loading floor. When you are lifting heavy stuff like cases of water or whatever its very nice.

Noticed a sweet looking Lexus IS wagon circa 05 would be my guess. Nice looking aftermarket wheels but the car was covered in advertising stickers.

TourX cargo is huge, comparable to the wider Jeep Grand Cherokee for example. Not only can it haul very well but its got a perfect low flat loading floor. When you are lifting heavy stuff like cases of water or whatever its very nice.
It’s a sharp ride …

Noticed a sweet looking Lexus IS wagon circa 05 would be my guess. Nice looking aftermarket wheels but the car was covered in advertising stickers.
Those are super rare. There's one living on the street near my house all riced out in primer paint and all that.

It’s a sharp ride …
It's a wonderful Wife's Car. She's short, hauls our young kids, ect so the lower platform is ideal. Sure, the car geek in me gets a kick out of a rare semi german wagon. I get to drive it like once a week and on road trips. Fantastic family road trip vehicle, as long as you only have 2 kids, otherwise get a Pacifica 'wagon' mini van instead.

If my wife was taller and kids were older i'm sure an SUV would be just as good or better.

I wanted a sporty wagon for a long time but there just aren't that many of them with good legroom for a 6'7" guy, the BMW 5 series wagons perhaps being an exception.

I sold out this time and went large SUV and I am loving it. The mileage is not great, but there's no free lunches in life.

1601682591569.jpg

If BMW sold the B3 Touring in the US I'd buy one, even if I had to sell a kidney. Yes, it's AWD, but I can tolerate that in light of the fact that the B3 runs from 0-60 in less than 3.8 seconds and tops out at 186 mph. Having spent nearly two weeks on a road trip in an E65 B7 I can confirm that Alpina definitely knows how to nail the perfect balance of performance AND comfort.
Alpina B3.jpg

B3 Touring looks great but a hypothetical $91k price if it were sold here is too close to the $110k RS 6 Avant that actually is sold here. Maybe i can get an off lease RS6 Avant for under 60k.

Nice shot of my grocery getter/stop light feeling hurter. Just had the IS38 turbo installed (stock turbo from the VW Golf R/Audi S3) along with a larger intercooler and charge pipes. Been having some fun with the extra power and colder temps. Knocked out a 4.13 sec 0-60 mph this morning and a 12.36 sec/110.81 mph 1/4 mile. Not bad for a base model station wagon that cost $20K OTD new. Had a kid in a WRX want some at a light this weekend - not even close. Next light we roll down the windows and he asks - "What is that?" and I say - "Just a 47 yo dad in a station wagon on the way to pick up some milk." Roll window up, proceed to engage launch control, and send it. Love this car.
You do have an intriguing wagon! Does the electronics or rwd allow you to drift it on pavement? Or have you autocrossed it? Seems like a great do it all vehicle.

You do have an intriguing wagon! Does the electronics or rwd allow you to drift it on pavement? Or have you autocrossed it? Seems like a great do it all vehicle.
No - the Haldex awd system is never going to be able to send power back without power to the front. You can knock out the stability control which helps it slide a little. Funny you mention the track - I'm goign to a driving school this weekend at VIR in VA with it.

Back