Wagner OEX Brake pads, strange design

I'm needing to replace brake pads in my '15 Sedona this spring. Was perusing Rockauto and came across Wagner OEX, a pad I've never seen before.

The product's highlight is that it has special grooves in the pads purported to "optimize debris escape opportunities for longer pad life." To be honest, I'm not really concerned with pad life, I'm concerned with braking performance on a heavy vehicle packed full of kids. The shape of the friction material is also unusual, looks like it has significantly less surface area (due to both the shape and extra grooves) than normal pads. In my mind, this would cause it to wear more quickly, negating the benefits of their special grooves. Wouldn't less surface area be a bad thing as it pertains to performance and longevity? Though it's hard to see, I think I can make out a "GG" friction rating in the photo. Price is really good on these, about $25 a set, which is comparable to the Raybestos EHT pads (also GG rated) I've used in the past on other vehicles.

Curious what you all think on the merits of this design.
ra.jpg

I've used them. Good pads and a step above the quiet pads that so many either love or hate. Make sure you turn or replace the rotors, and address the pins/boots/grease...

$50 for front AND rear pad sets is a steal. GG rated so there might be a learning curve with their bite compared to stock pads.

Looks like on sale for various makes/models. Grab 'em while you can.

And the marketing:

GG rated so there might be a learning curve with their bite compared to stock pads.
You're assuming that all GG rated pads will perform similarly. That is the analogous to assuming that all UTQG 500 AA tires to have similar treadlife.
I'm needing to replace brake pads in my '15 Sedona this spring. Was perusing Rockauto and came across Wagner OEX, a pad I've never seen before.

The product's highlight is that it has special grooves in the pads purported to "optimize debris escape opportunities for longer pad life." To be honest, I'm not really concerned with pad life, I'm concerned with braking performance on a heavy vehicle packed full of kids. The shape of the friction material is also unusual, looks like it has significantly less surface area (due to both the shape and extra grooves) than normal pads. In my mind, this would cause it to wear more quickly, negating the benefits of their special grooves. Wouldn't less surface area be a bad thing as it pertains to performance and longevity? Though it's hard to see, I think I can make out a "GG" friction rating in the photo. Price is really good on these, about $25 a set, which is comparable to the Raybestos EHT pads (also GG rated) I've used in the past on other vehicles.

Curious what you all think on the merits of this design.
View attachment 46682
Wagner has introduced their share of gimmicky designs that do not seem to be present on factory pads. I am skeptical.

No, I am assuming that Kia/Hyundai do not use GG rated pads from the factory. None of mine did.
Which is sort of my point. A pad rated GG is not automatically better than one rated FF. The friction levels are only one part of the equation. Some pad materials compress more easily than others and result in a lousy pedal feel. Friction levels when cold are also another factor. I would not automatically assume a GG rated pad is superior.

And I've used those Raybestos EHT pads that are highly recommended on this forum - they're nothing special. They tend to be real noisy on some applications as well.

I didn't. I will assume that my experience with the Wagner pads in general, and my usage of their OEX pads, definitely felt superior.

EHT pads are great too. But, they are metallic and not for snowflakes.

Been happy with them on my '07 Explorer. I started with a set on the front of the Explorer and liked them a lot better than the Advance Wearever Platinums I had on it before. Better bite and significantly less dust. Then put a set on the rear, and so far no issues there...

Great pads.
As said above, great bite and very low dust.

I have used them on my F150 and my Wife's Edge.

I have them on the wife's Expedition and like them. They're the first set on that rig that rarely squeal. They have a good pedal feel and stopping power.

I've used them, they're OK. Having said that I made the change to Raybestos Element3, and I will be sticking with them. From what I can see the Element3 last longer in conditions that are now harder on brakes then when I used the Wagner product.

I currently have the Wagner OEX Ceramic, F & R on the Altima in my signature for ~ 10 months thus far and I like'em very much.

I can't answer for the longevity however, I like them as much as(not better, just as much as) any pad that I've ever used in 50 yrs. I'd say that these WagnerOEX are as close to OE or Akebono of any that I've tried...so far!

My application have a CoF of "FF" which is my preference.

Last edited:
Kia/Hyundai do not use GG rated pads from the factory. None of mine did.
Either any other car that I know of, including my RAV4. Motorcycles use GG because of reduced space (two wheels only).

If that car needs GG friction coefficient from factory (higher than FF), those pads are designed smaller than is normal for a car of that weight and there is little improvement that can be done.

Motorcycles have surplus rotor area... they don't weigh as much as cars. And, some of mine came with HH pads. There are some euro cars with HH pads now too.

What a car needs is for the owner to decide. My Toyotas came with FF/EE pads and I went GG all around, and performed definitely better during panic stops and excessive downhill runs.

I did notice that various car OEx pads were FF rated when the SUV/truck were GG rated. Wagner seems to be catering to the vehicle.

No, we didn't design pads smaller just because the rating went up.

If I could get HH pads for my cars, that were in my driving temperature range, I'd grab them. I prefer a pad that communicates and stops well, and dust/noise are not even considerations when picking a pad.

OEX pads are on sale for many applications on rockauto. Compared to pathetic local store brands and overhyped generics, there isnt even a question which pad I would recommend.

And remember, the pad is only as good as the attention to detail during the rest of the brake job. 99% of the problems and brand bad mouthing, that I've seen, were caused by pathetic hack shortcut taking mechs not doing a proper/complete job. You reap what you sow.

Back