VW TDI Wagons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can buy ULSD in SO CAL right now for $.07 more than the regular stuff. I think the $.50 more thing wont happen if does it will realy hurt the trucking industry. Dan

msparks: In Canada the PPM measurement is an average. So, you could have some fuel with no sulfur and some that's way over spec. Would it hurt your ULSD car to run a high sulfur content? Perhaps, but the big fuel companies warrant their product so if they blow your engine they'll cover it. You wouldn't be consistently running out of spec fuel so I'd like to hope there isn't a problem.

Maybe the rule of thumb will be to ship the out of spec fuel as home heating fuel instead.

Steve

In regards to the PQ46 nomenclature,, this is simply a intra-company designation used to identify the chassis just as the 337 designation was used to identify the GTI many years ago. Nobody ever referred to the GTI as a 337 chassis vehicle and most didn't even know of the nomenclature until Volkswagen offered the limited edition 20th anniversary GTI in 2003. The chassis nomenclature for the A5 Jetta is internally known as the PQ35 in case you weren't aware.

And Ted, your statement of a $2,000 premium for the TDI is simply incorrect. Based exclusively on the new vehicle order forms that are available today, the A4 chassis Jetta offers the TDI for $1100 over the standard 2.0 liter gas engine in all trim packages.

The new Jetta (A5) doesn't offer the TDI in the Value Edition model, which leaves a comparison between the 2.5 liter engine and the TDI in the more upscale trim levels. Ordering is not yet available for the 2.0 liter turbo gas engine. A 2.5 liter Jetta with manual transmission lists for $20,390. The exact trim level vehicle with TDI engine lists for $21,385. This is a difference of only $995.

Naturally you can buy trim level packages that will bump the price of the vehicles up by over $4,000 but these trim level packages are unrelated to the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
msparks: Would it hurt your ULSD car to run a high sulfur content?
Steve

The Answer is Yes. Matter of fact even the low sulpher we have now is not good for the TDI, just take a look at some of the pictures of sooted up intakes from the crappy diesel we have here.

The car is designed for ULSD and 50 Cetane, anything less will effect performance, fuel economy and engine cleanlyness.

BTW same goes witht he Chevy Duramax. Have seen some sooted intakes with them as well.

JR,

You are 100% correct about the TDI price premium ...I was comparing the TDI to the "value edition".

Having said that, the 2.5L, five cylinder gas engine looks very appealing. With 9.5:1 compression, it runs fine on cheaper 87 octane fuel and it has chain driven cams, along with a healthy 6.3 quart oil capacity/10 quart, coolant capacity.

Based on my calculations, ie "OCI Formula", you can safely run 15,000-25,000 mile oil change intervals with Amsoil in this motor, depending on severity of service. EPA estimates are 22 city/30 hwy with either the five speed manual or six speed Tiptronic. The torque peak of 170 ft-lbs is at a very usable usable 3750 rpms.

The new Jetta is basically a "poor mans" Audi A4 - especially the GLI version with the 2.0L, gas engine turbo motor; six speed manual; 225/45ZR/17 tires and stiffer suspension tuning ...
wink.gif
That car should come in at about $27,000 fully loaded, ie with the option #2 package that lists for $4660.00.

As you can see, I've been busy checking these out!

Ted

quote:

it has chain driven cams, along with a healthy 6.3 quart oil capacity/10 quart, coolant capacity

Boy it is about time VW fixed there engineering screw up's. Boy the Germans are slow. Hi Ted buy it If you don't mind buying a boat anchor 3300 lbs. yikes!!! Dan

That new Jetta engine sound like a real slug. I mean 150hp out of a 2.5 litre? Is this is truck engine? Real low tech stuff for an overpriced car.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I remember when big V8s were only making 150.
shocked.gif

the dark ages of the late 70s.....I remember when mom's buick had 400+HP......

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
The chassis nomenclature for the A5 Jetta is internally known as the PQ35 in case you weren't aware.

So FowVay, what is the "chassis nomenclature" for the soon retiring B5/B5.5 Passat then..."internally"?

Btw, can you identify the 1.8T engine code of my B5 if I give you my vin(playin' devils advocate
wink.gif
).
grin.gif

[ May 11, 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

I have been hearing the Jetta L-5 ads on the radio.

The L-5 in our non-turbo Volvo puts out like 172 hp or something - so yeah 150 sounds low....but what is the torque and where is the power band?

How similar is the VW L-5 to the Volvo L-5? A Jetta must be a ton lighter than the Volvo. Also, parts of the Volvo L-5 were designed under contract by Porsche. Interesting.

The Volvo engine gets more hp because it has variable valve timing. I do not think the VW has that. About 60hp per liter is about all you get. To get much more you need variable valve timing, and/or variable intake, or turbo, or supercharger, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
The Volvo engine gets more hp because it has variable valve timing. I do not think the VW has that. About 60hp per liter is about all you get. To get much more you need variable valve timing, and/or variable intake, or turbo, or supercharger, etc.

Volvo's 5 cylinder does not use VVT in non turbo form.
Volvo B5244 engine specs:
2.4 litre
168 hp @5900 rpm
170 ft/lb @ 4500 rpm
70 HP/L
3200lb
All on 87 octane gas. Volvo has been building this engine wish similar specs since the early 90s in the old 850.

VW obviously detuned the engine from its full potential in order to sell a "new and improved" version later in the prouduct cycle. But 3300lb is inexcusable in such a small car. All with "Made in Mexico" build quality.

quote:

So FowVay, what is the "chassis nomenclature" for the soon retiring B5/B5.5 Passat then..."internally"?

Sequentially, the nomenclature for the B5/B5.5 chassis is PQ45. The first digit (4) is the chassis, the second digit (5) is the generation.

Hence, the A5 Jetta is a PQ35. The first digit represents the smaller chassis in it's fifth generation of evolution.

quote:

Btw, can you identify the 1.8T engine code of my B5 if I give you my vin(playin' devils advocate

The vehicle identification number will simply identify which engine your platform was equipped with. It won't identify which specific engine code was installed. It will identify whether your platform was equipped with a 1.8T, a 2.8 V6, a 2.0 TDI or a 4.0 W8. The 1.8T was available in one of the four following codes: AEB, ATW, AUG, AWM. This code is stamped on your engine casting on the front of the block.

The 2.8 V6 was available as one of the two following codes: AHA, ATQ.

The W8 engine code is a BDP and the TDI engine code is BHW.

This data isn't deciphered via the VIN.

Indeed my 1996 850 2.5L 5 does not have VVT. This is an OK engine with our stick, but the power is peaky to say the least. With an AT, it would suck big donkey chabodas.

I am still curious about VW's "new" 5 cylinder. And did I just read the Jetta weighs more than my 850
shocked.gif
banghead.gif
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
The vehicle identification number will simply identify which engine your platform was equipped with. It won't identify which specific engine code was installed. It will identify whether your platform was equipped with a 1.8T, a 2.8 V6, a 2.0 TDI or a 4.0 W8. The 1.8T was available in one of the four following codes: AEB, ATW, AUG, AWM. This code is stamped on your engine casting on the front of the block.

The 2.8 V6 was available as one of the two following codes: AHA, ATQ.

The W8 engine code is a BDP and the TDI engine code is BHW.

This data isn't deciphered via the VIN.

Boy..are you a fountain of VW info! With that much VW knowledge you could actually make a career out of it.
grin.gif

Well, I actually do know what my engine code is(for sometime now) and where to read it from the block...just being testy.
wink.gif

Lemme see..do you know which year of the B5 has the most reliable coil packs? Brand and where made?..
smile.gif

I saw the window sticker of an 05 jetta wagon at a dealer, the wagon is assembled in germany, not mexico as the sedans are, the tdi engines are made in poland. The dealer I went to only had an auto in stock, the tranny was made in japan.

They have been making VW parts in Mexico for quite some time and it is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Me and my brothers 92/89 Golf diesels are stamped with "Hecho en Mexico" everywhere. The rear bumper is stamped "Made in Canada"
canada.gif
German designed parts fail like clockwork so if you hear about somebody with a similar car having a problem you WILL be next.
dunno.gif
It's up to you to be proactive or wait for the failure.

Cheers, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back