VW TDI oil considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

I have been reading a lot on this board and started having some ideas on what oil I could run.

Currently running Amsoil 5w 40 in my VW TDI but seriously looking at running a 5W 30 like a Redline.

AE Haas has some excellent pointers in his Motor Oil fax http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/.

The 5w30 will meet my specs but also will pump more oil over the hotter engine components because of the lighter 30 oil. I picked Redline because of the higher HTHS found in this oil package.

A 0W 40 is also considered. Knowing 90% engine wear is at start up, a 0w 40 would be ideal.

So pondering a 0w 40 with excellent start up protection or a 5w 30 with increased oil flow over engine components while running???

Any ideas which way to go?

For 0w-40 Motul makes about the best,,5w-40 Schaeffers comes in really good,,Amsoil of various grades also a wise choice for your engine,,,,,,,BL

If you want to try a 5w-30, I'd suggest the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30, which is a heavy duty, CI-4+ rated, diesel oil.

However, based on what I've seen, the 5w-40/10w-40/15w-40 grades generate the lowest wear rates in the TDI...

TS knows the engine, that's for sure.

I would say 5W-30HDD is a good choice, but Amsoil 5W-40 is hard to beat in gas engines.

There is another choice at 1/2 the cost of Redline. Amsoil fully synthetic Diesel 10W-30 ACD, - being a synthetic it has good low temp pumpability - yet an add pack that will be great for a TDI.

Thanks for the input.

I have looked over the Amsoil Series 3000 5w 30 also. It seems as though Amsoil has packed large amounts of VI improvers, and has a lower HTHS number. Almost looks like a Mobil 1 0W-40. So not sure how well this oil would hold up over extended oci.

Redlines 5w30 has just a tick higher HTHS and a much lower VI. My car calls for 10,000 oci and will be extending it beyond that. Not sure how the Redline 5w30 would hold up either in my 1.9l diesel.

I am in favor of a thinner oil, 5w-30, with a high HTHS. This will give me better fluid flow over the engine. But TS mentioned better wear rates in a TDI using a 40. And this would be ideal with my other option being a 0W-40 with easier starts and less engine wear during start-up.

So my decision is still up in the air.

Be nice to see some UOA using either oils in a TDI.

I personally don't think 0W-40 is the way to go if it's low wear and extended drains you are after.

I am very curious how you can surmise HDD is "large amounts of VI improvers" by looking at the VI and the HTHS and not knowing the base oil used.

Have you checked out:
ACD

Seems like you really want 4 factors in a Diesel oil: low wear, long OCI, good cold temp properties and very flowable high temp behavior (maybe better than and SAE 30 but not as viscous as an SAE 40. I say ACD looks very interesting, And it has the lowest price point of all the oils discussed.

Thanks for the info Pablo. Would you know the HTHS number on this?

You might have my attention on this oil... It does seem to get what I am looking for.

Rex,
The European engine makers spec very special oil for many of their engines for good reasons. Stick with the VW recommended oils, or one very similar like the Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40 European Motor Oil (AFL). I wouldn't experiment with these small, high output engines with a history of oil problems.

I disagree with just about everything AEHaas concludes. He's a gut plumber, not a lubrication engineer. He might be a fine physician, but I don't think he reaches the right conclusions from his observations and extrapolations.

Ken

What year is your Jetta? If it is still under warranty then you need to use what your owners manual tells you to use. This may be the limiting factor if you want to keep your warrnty intact.

If it is out of warranty, then use what you want. It's hard to beat Mobil 1 delvac 5w-40. Mobil 1 Truck and SUV is supposed to be the same as the Mobil 1 delvac and can be purchased at almost any walmart. Actually they have 5 quart bottles for about $20 bucks. It's a good oil and easy to get. Kevin

Thanks for everyones input and all the great advice.

My 01' TDI is currently running Amsoil 5w40. In about 2,000 miles I will hit my 10,000 mile mark.

I will perform a UOA. So far oil is still at full mark. I expect not to add any oil in my final 2k miles...

I have decided NOT to run 5w30. Doing my research I find the 5w40 is better suited for the TDI.

I hope to run Schaeffer's 5w40 next. I like the high HTHS number. I feel the TDI benefits from this in both longer oci and keeping engine protected.

We shall see. Thanks for your input and I'll post my UOA when available.

How about Castrol Syntec 5w-40?
The bottle says "tested in VW TDI Engines".
Cheap too. On sale for only $3.99 per quart at AutoZone.

-

Originally Posted By: Rex
I have been reading a lot on this board and started having some ideas on what oil I could run.

Currently running Amsoil 5w 40 in my VW TDI but seriously looking at running a 5W 30 like a Redline.

AE Haas has some excellent pointers in his Motor Oil fax http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/.

The 5w30 will meet my specs but also will pump more oil over the hotter engine components because of the lighter 30 oil. I picked Redline because of the higher HTHS found in this oil package.

A 0W 40 is also considered. Knowing 90% engine wear is at start up, a 0w 40 would be ideal.

So pondering a 0w 40 with excellent start up protection or a 5w 30 with increased oil flow over engine components while running???

Any ideas which way to go?

You won't notice a difference in oil temps changing from a 40 to a 30 in a normal engine.
There is no real difference in cold start wear between a 0W and a 5W until you get below minus 25C according to the oil companies, although the lower grade is good for your battery and starter motor.
Redline oils contain a lot of anti wear additives like Moly and less detergents than some other major brand oils. As their name implies they are good at protecting an engine that is redlined, but they are not so good for long OCI's.
Most Germans use 5/40 synthetics in older TDI's.

Last edited:
01 is an ALH engine which isn't particulary sensitive to oil. It's when you get into the PD engines starting in 04 that you start finding oil issues. I run Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 in mine. I change it every 12,000 miles. The car has 167,000 miles on it and still runs like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k1rod
01 is an ALH engine which isn't particulary sensitive to oil. It's when you get into the PD engines starting in 04 that you start finding oil issues. I run Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 in mine. I change it every 12,000 miles. The car has 167,000 miles on it and still runs like new.

Indeed. That cam failure rate is a real PITA! 5w-30 VW spec is a suspected killer of the cams in PD engines.

I deal with an 06.5 BRM and it is fed TDT.

Have you done a UOA on that engine? I'd like to go to 10k but it scares the heck out of me with a 4qt sump.

Just an FYI,

I soundly dispute that "90% of wear occurs at startup" line. In fact, aircraft engines have comparatively few starts, and wear out rather rapidly. In fact, those with many more starts (such as banner towers, glider towers and flight schools) last longer. (mostly due to regular operation and lack of internal corrosion)

We can measure wear as it happens, using particulate counters, chip detectors and so on. Wear occurs during operation, and you are kidding yourself to think that camshaft, and piston/cylinder wear rates decrease during normal operation.

I have a mate that used to work on the HEMS helicopter in London years ago, he was in flight/ground operations. A role which he still does on a self employed basis.

The subject of engine longevity came up and be said that the reason the HEMS helicopter G-HEMS was sold and now resides in the North of England was due to maintenance costs associated with the short time span of the flights in relation to the number of cold starts.

Pretty much in the same way as a car that is started several times a day, used for a short time then shut down again.

London now has G-EHMS I think, not really the same ring to it!

Was interesting to learn that helicopters have very similar issues to cars.

G-HEMS now covers a much wider area so is certainly not given the exact same usage conditions as when in London.

It is now part of The Great North Air Ambulance I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back