New VW TDI which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 03 VW Golf TDI ( Turbo charged Direct Injected diesel powered car) last week.

I could have done the Honda Civic thing for a daily commuter. But these TDIs are a kick in the butt to drive.

I'm still breaking it in so did not push it past 100 mph yesterday. But it still had quite a bit of peddle left.

Back to my question:

VW calls for a 5w-40 or 5w-30 oil that meets the following specification:
API CF-4 or CH-4 wonder why they did just say CH-4?
ACEA B3 or B4.
VW 505.00

Right now I'm considering these oils.
Delvac 1 5w-40
Valvoline Blue Extreme 5w-40
John Deere 0w-40
Castrol Elixon 5w-30
Chevron Delo 400 5w-40
Redline 5w-40
Royal Purple 15w-40
Schaeffers 15w-40
Shell Rotella 5w-40

Any other oils I should look at?
What should I look for in oil for a turbo charged diesel engine?

D1 5W40 is an easy choice. Most TDI owners use it now I think. I use it with some M1 0W40 added in my turbo gasser. I use/like Redline products too but know nothing about their diesel oils to be honest.

Neil congrates on the new car. Those are pretty neat. I'm not sure what oil I would use. If the JD could be had consistently at the price I paid for my 0/40 JD that oil might get the nod .

I guess it depends on if your going to try for max oil intervals but if not the Valvoline 5/40 looks pretty good so does the Delvac 1.There is our section to look at some UOA's and then the TDI forum. I doubt you will see the JD or the Valvoline in a UOA yet though

Have fun deciding !

[ February 25, 2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Neil,

If I were to run a competitive synthetic in the TDI, Delvac 1 would be my only choice. Amsoil and Delvac 1 have shown the best results in the TDI application over the past four years. Most of the other oils you list are Group III products and won't provide the same degree of high temp stability. The Redline 5w-40 is excellent for gas engines, but is not a CI-4 rated diesel oil.

The Amsoil product I'd run down in Texas is their 10w-40, high performance synthetic oil. A number of my customers run it in this application with excellent results and 10,000 mile change intervals.

TooSlick

I look forward to picking a new oil and then testing my pick. Of course I'll post my VOAs and UOAs for what ever I choose.

Does anyone have the following data:

Delvac 1 5w-40.....................VI and HTHS
Chevron 400 5w-40...............HTHS
Castrol Elixon 5w-30..............HTHS

I've e-mailed Mobil, Chevron and Castrol. None seem inclined to answer their e-mail.

Congrats on the new TDI ! I think for the money if your warranty allows it I would go with the Schaeffers 7000 Blend 15w-40 here in Texas.

After that I like the Amsoil AME 15w-40 for the money if you can get a deep discount, with your farm Ted or Michael can set you up with a good discount.

Has anyone in TDI land tried Redline's HDD 15w-40 product ? IS their 5w-40 a HDD rated oil ?

My advise is to run the factory fill for the first 5k miles. Let the dealer use the Syntec and keep it for until the 9k mile mark. Then switch to Delvac1 5W-40 or Amsoil 5W-30 or any Group IV oil. Rotella Synth is still Group III as well as Valvoline. I use the Rotella in my Scirocco but it doesn't have a Turbo. Your TDI does.
there is a problem with TDI clogging up their intake manifold with carbon buildup due to using an EGR valve. Using a Group III or dino oil will only aggrevate that problem and when it happens the dealer wants $400 to clean it up. One way to prevent this is to use high quality synth oil.
Good luck with the new toy

Terry

I was thinking about using the Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40 on the first oil change and running analysis to see how it hold up to a 5k run. Although my 03 Golf handbook does not specify full synthetic oils. VW has a technical bulletin recommending full synthetic oils.

VW calls for the first change at 5k, the second at 10k and then every 10k after that.

One of the odd parts is in TDI circles the oils of choice are confined to Delvac 1 and Amsoil with a lot of down playing on even using any of the group III synthetic oils. Neither Delvac 1 or Amsoil have all the same licenses that Schaeffer's has.

The only oil I know of that meets all the VW TDI requirements is Schaeffers 7000 15w-40. Schaeffer's meets API CH-4, ACEA B3 and B4 and VW 505.

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
My advise is to run the factory fill for the first 5k miles. Let the dealer use the Syntec and keep it for until the 9k mile mark. Then switch to Delvac1 5W-40 or Amsoil 5W-30 or any Group IV oil. Rotella Synth is still Group III as well as Valvoline. I use the Rotella in my Scirocco but it doesn't have a Turbo. Your TDI does.
there is a problem with TDI clogging up their intake manifold with carbon buildup due to using an EGR valve.
Using a Group III or dino oil will only aggrevate that problem and when it happens the dealer wants $400 to clean it up. One way to prevent this is to use high quality synth oil.
Good luck with the new toy

Interesting you point this out... The thing you're missing is that all of the newer diesel engine trucks too are coming out with egr valves and they too will cause the same thing, this is why the newer API CI rated diesel oil is now out which Schaeffers is... I believe if memory serves, that the Delvac and rotella, are still API CH-4 not CI.

CI is design for the higher levels of stress put back on the oil due to the new egr systems.

[ February 25, 2003, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Neil:

One of the odd parts is in TDI circles the oils of choice are confined to Delvac 1 and Amsoil with a lot of down playing on even using any of the group III synthetic oils. Neither Delvac 1 or Amsoil have all the same licenses that Schaeffer's has.

By chance would these be guys that have never tried a new breed group III/PAO 5/40 ?
wink.gif

The Kendall ,76 ,and Castrol 5/40's meet these specs,will that cover you on warranty for 10yrs/100K ? These are not group III only oils I think. The thing about that Delvac 1 is it's like 101 @ 40C. Some heavy stuff and I don't care how well it pours when cold. Seems like a oil for later in the motors life to me. Will using the Delvac void the warranty?

Here's the Kendall,76 oils,Castrol specs that they meet

BMW High Performance in the US
BMW Longlife outside the US
Mercedes 229.3
Porsche
VW 505/502/500
and
ACEA A3 B3 B4

What seems to cause the most clogging of the intake manifold and the intercooler is the poorly designed crankcase vent. These engines dump a large amount of oil vapor into the intake tract. They benefit greatly with the addition of a air/oil separator. You'd benefit by selecting a oil in the viscosity recommended by Volkswagen which will be 5W-40 (preferred) or 5W-30 (if 5W-40 is not available) and one that has low NOACK numbers.

Dragboat

Thanks for the new oils to put on my list. I would have never thought of Kendall or 76 Oils. I am looking at Castrol 5w-40 just forgot to list it.

Sprintman

Thanks for the Delvac 1 info.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Oh and it exceeds CI-4. Even the old version did.

Really? I didn't know the old version was api certified as ci-4., so they do have the new API CI-4 on their bottle? didn't know that, I'm gonna have to look next chance I get. Hard to keep up with everyone now adays.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Neil - Delvac 1 VI 167, HTHS 4.1, pour point
-54c, V @ 40C 93, V @ 100C 15, TBN 11.

Here is what I pulled off the Mobil NA site on 1/1/03

cST @ 40C 102
" " 100C 14.8
TBN 12
Pour Point -45C

Terry,

According to RL's spec sheet the 5w40 is only CF rated. The 10w30 and 15w40 are up to CI-4.
dunno.gif

I think someone should try their HDD oil. If the gas oil performance is any indicaton, they won't be disappointed.

Bob Mobil tech told me way back old Delvac 1 exceeded CI-4 and somwhere on here a GeorgeCLS post confirmed it if my memorys not totally shot. Ron Timkened D1 CH-4 version last night (well till 1:am) and new Castrol RS 0W40. Very different. D1 OK when cold but better when hot. Handled about 80lb pressure which is good. Best thing was little or no evaporation about the best seen. The Castrol 0W40 was hopeless cold but when hot about 100lbs and held it well but evaporates off very badly. Trying to get M1 SS 0W40 and CI-4/SL Delvac 1 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back