New VW TDI which oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll be ready to draw a Schaeffer's #700 15w-40 sample from my TDI around mid June. Then I'll get my first look at how the Schaeffer's is holding up.

VWoA wants an initial change at 5000 miles then again at 10,000 then every 10,000 miles.

This is however still an engine in break-in mode. A truer picture will emerge when I do the analysis to see how the Schaeffer's holds up to the longer change interval.

The June sample will be the 10,000 mile change sample. You will see it here first.

Bob,

I understand that you'd be defensive about this issue. And that's not the intent At All.

My suggestion isn't about differences in base stock formulation - it's not a Group III VS Group 4/5 thing. It's not about whether Syntec should be considered 'synthetic' or not. It's not even about the differences between 'regular' Syntec and 'formulated for the VW Dealer' Syntec. And it's CERTAINLY not a 'spec sheet' comparison.

What it IS about is very, very simple science: Dead Dinosaurs burn at a low temperature, Synthetics (even wanna-be group III synth) burns at a much higher temperature.

VW chose to put their rings high-up on the piston. VW recommended petroleum oil. VW had lots of trouble from oil coking in the ring lands. VW changed their guidance based on the engine teardown's of which you speak.

Bottom line? VW found from experience and engine replacement that if an owner uses least a group III oil in this engine their rings will stay clean. Use dead dinosaurs, and they won't.

Since Scheaffers is at least 80% petroleum, and that petroleum is going to cook, then either the rings are going to have trouble, or the synth and detergents will be depleted earlier than they should keeping up with the mess.

Using Schaeffers' lubes in a VW TDI isn't the way I choose to go, and doesn't meet either the spirit or intent of VW's lube guidance. If you had something that was at least 100% Group III like Syntec, I'd give it a shot.

Andy

[ May 05, 2003, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Andy H ]

Well Andy, Yes, I'm slightly defensive when someone makes a statement that is totally off the wall without proof. In your above reply you're stating its to do with the group type of oil not the base oil or td and such. Please let me point out the Group type of an oil is the refference to what type of base oil they are using. So, several things come to mind, but main thing is how are you able to determine which group stock base oil is being used in each brand of oil?

2nd, back to schaeffers, I understand your reluctance to using a product based on your limited knowledge and experience with their products and based on that, I believe you should refrain from suggesting that it is not advisable to use this oil unless you do one of two things, either back up your statement with proof of where schaeffers may have been used and shown exactly what you're saying AND OR, you add in your statement that In My Opinion based on what I know, I'd not xxxxx etc..... This would at least qualify your statement as such instead of trying to make factual statements which can be mis leading to some. Had that been stated in that manner, I would have never opened my mouth as I do believe people should share their opinion/ experiences as long as it's qualified and others know this. Shareing your knowledge is great but becarefull on how you express such as when it comes to comments about schaeffers as I'm sure other statements about amsoil and mobil among others, also will challenge it as I have when stated as a point of fact.

If you want only a full synth, yes schaeffers has a full 5w30 synth, and from what Al has seemed to experience, it is proven out every bit of his expectations.

As for your logical assumption about not using the blend, I respect your decission but also please clarify your statements as opinion unless you can or are willing to show fact and based on your information, your assuming schaeffers dino base oil is going to burn off like any other conventional oil.[/b]This statement is incorrect[/b]

From your statements, it sounds like you haven't taken the time to read and digest the basics about the different types of group base oil. Reason, if you do, you'll find that the some base oils can burn off easier, then there are some that are a lot closer to a full synth when it comes to burn off. Interesting enough, if you don't use a TD sheet, then obviously it would be very difficult to see this but even when you do, there's a lot of other factors that cannot be factor'd in as other things not available do affect this as well. There is different refining methods that are used and this method clearly makes a difference in how a base stock will react to heat and cold among other things. The performance of a base stock oil also is widely affected by the blending process of the additives and this can either reduce or increase flashpoints of a base stock therefore mis leading you to assume the type of base stock used. Also, I have seen many Tech Data sheets be incorrect many times, even schaeffers has incorrect data at times on the internet.

One last thing, base stock is a building block of an oil, it is what an oil company would use to start the process of blending, and as pointed out above, many things affects the base stocks ability in different ways. So, to qualify dino oils, you have

code:

NAPHTHENIC NAPH/PARAF MIX 100%PURE PAO

(often called- paraffin

paraffin)

Unsaturated or Mix of open Saturated or Saturated or

open molecule +closed molecules closed molecule closed molecule

Low VI Intermed.VI High VI High VI

these are natural VI's without polymer additives to boost

the VI artificially.VI's change within the base

oils dependant of the degree of purity based

on the refinement process used.

Flash Points

350-370deg 410deg 475-500degs 495-525degs

Many, if not most, oil companies use naphthenic

-paraffinic mix, but call it paraffinic. It is

legal to contain some naphthenic and still call

it paraffinic.

Oftentimes the flash point shown on TD sheets

gives an indication of what base oil is used but

with additives used in the mix, it will not show

the base oils actual flashpoint as the additives

will affect the flashpoint which is misleading.

As you can see in this little chart, that there are different dino oil base stocks, and to classify all dino oils together, is incorrect. In schaeffers case, they use a mix of the 100%pure paraffin base which is like the PAO synth both have Saturated or closed molecules both of which give a near simular flashpoint and high VI's.

Also, In respect to film thickness, the naph base oils have a film thickness of .2- .3.35 micron where the pur and pao has .4-.5 micron.

[ May 06, 2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob,

I appreciate the info on base stocks.

I'll get it as simply as I possibly can:

I have yet to see any tear-down of a VW TDI that has run any Schaeffers product.
VW owners have run many different oils. They had trouble and tore down many engines. They decided that PETROLEUM OIL SHOULD NOT BE USED in these engines. [sarcasm] Please note that their recommendation wasn't 'use synthetic oil unless it says Schaeffers on the bottle - Bob says it's good. [/sarcasm]

I hope you're not suggesting that a company the size of VAG wouldn't understand the difference between petroleum and synthetic?

[opinion] I think it's completely irresponsible to recommend a product that goes against the recommendations of an auto manufacturer without proof of any type. [/opinion]

Bob, The burden of proof here isn't in my court, it's in yours. Prove to me that it works over the life of a TDI engine without burning around the rings and I'll violate the recommendations from VW that I use to screen the products I choose. Until then, it's your [opinion] over that of VW and thousands of owners and tear downs and analysis reports.

There are enough quality synthetics on the market so that I never have to use a blend - even a good blend.

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andy H:

VW owners have run many different oils. They had trouble and tore down many engines. They decided that PETROLEUM OIL SHOULD NOT BE USED in these engines. [sarcasm]

Andy [/QB]

So if I am to understand correctly, VWoA's recommendation of a Group III is not a petroleum oil. Sorry that I am confused. Castrol Syntec 5W40 is petroleum the last I knew, and that is VW's recommendation and used by the Dealers.

Andy, enjoyed the sarcasm. I thank you though for finally admitting and clearing up that your statement was exactly that, your opinion based on what you believe based on what the manufacture stated.

I'm quite sure that the manufacture has some idea about oils will work in general BUT.... they obviously are not going to single out every oil to say yes to one and no to another, but would find it easier to just blanket statement the general over the counter dino oils. Does this mean they have included in their statement any specialty brands of oils such as schaeffers that is not over the counter? Certainly it doesn't exclude but nor does it include. We will not know what exactly they know, so this is where others like myself comes in. We are the experts of our products. We know more on what our products limitations have than you do most likely. We do nothing but work with oil day in and day out. We have many types of engines from 2stroke to diesels in heavy equipment with cars and trucks in between under all types of conditions with chemists, CLS's, lab techs oil analysis experts as well as the manufacture who does the designing and blending process. They ARE VERY QUALIFIED to state if their oil will work in such an application and since they DO HAVE THE SPECS listed to MEET VW's CRITERIA, I'd have to say that THEY HAVE PROVED IT. I can assure you that VW doesn't get into oils to that degree otherwise they'd be manufacturing their own oil as well.

To state from your chair that schaeffers oils would not work in a TDI engine and it would cause a problem as if it was some fact based on what you finally admitted, is completely irresponsible without qualifying your statement as some sort of fact when you should qualify it. Thats it. YOU don't know, but to share your thoughts/ recommendations is GREATLY appreciated but NEVER make a comment as such with out qualifying it with either FACTS or IMO so people can conclude from your statement where you are coming from. When you failed to qualify it, Then EXPECT someone like me to bring this point to yours and everyone else's attention. That's all I wanted to hear from you. Hopefully you'll learn and recognize how that many manufactures do not care one way or the other what oil is used for the most part as long as it meets those specs and since Schaeffers does, along with:
Military Specifications MIL-PRE-2104G and A-A-52306A, API Service Classification CI-4/CH-4/SL, Global Specification DHD-1, JASO DH-1, Mack EO-N and EO-N Plus, Allison C-4, Caterpillar, Caterpillar TO-2, Cummins CES 20078, CES 20076, CES 20071; Detroit Diesel, Detroit Diesel/MTU Types Categories 1 and 2, International Harvester, Navistar, John Deere, JI Case, Komatsu Dresser, ACEA E5-99, E3-96, B3-98, B4-98 A3-98; Duetz, Damiler Chrysler MB228.3, Damiler Chrysler MB228.5, MTU MTL 5044 Type 2; MAN 271,Renault, Scania, Volvo VDS-2 and VDS-3, and Volkswagen VW 502.00 and 505.00.

hopefully you'll see there's more to this oil business than it just being a synth. You will never see me make any comments about Amsoil or any other oil without qualifying my statement as I in no way have near the background nor knowledge on their products and any statement I make, I expect that you or any of the other reps would be all over me for making such if I'm wrong as it is so painfully obvious in your statement.

Please don't take this as a personal attack on you as I really have no ill will towards anyone here but if anyone makes an unfounded comment, here on this board, expect to be called out for the proof if it's not qualified otherwise.

Have a good one, and thanks.
bob

Bob,

I'm sorry you still don't get it. You've presented info on dino base stocks. You've stated and restated the obvious that bases are different and additives are different and different combinations of each are different. Thanks very much for that.

What you haven't done: 1. identified the base Schaeffers uses for the diesel oil you recommended to the poor gentleman that asked for help in this thread. 2. identified the oil from which your quoted specs came.

What you have done: 1. Confirmed that you are recommending your product based solely on the specs (it meets VW 502.00/505.00) while completely disregarding that VW HAS STATED THAT THE SUBSTANCE USED IN THEIR TDI ENGINES NOT ONLY HAS TO MEET 502 OR 505 DEPENDING ON YEAR, BUT ALSO HAS TO BE SYNTHETIC.

Let me say that again: To meet VW's requirements, the oil has to have an acceptable viscosity, meet applicable specs (VW 502.00 or VW 505.00 or CF or CI-4 or whatever) AND HAS TO BE SYNTHETIC.

I know you know this, but for those that have been drawn off course by your previous comments: Groups I and II are petroleum. Group III is a highly modified petroleum that won the right to be called synthetic. Think Castrol Syntec or Rotella T. Group IV and Group V are considered to be the 'real' synthetic base stocks.

Schaeffers products are Group I and/or II. The VW dealer oil used for factory service of their TDI engines is Castrol Syntec and is a Group III base.

You can say it'll work. You can say that VW doesn't have time to evaluate the 'boutique' products (which I wouldn't consider Schaeffers to be), and you can say any number of other things - to include tossing all kinds of specs about. But you can't show me a TDI that's run 60,000 miles on Schaeffers products. Not one.

Bob, You pointed out that you know your products but you don't know other products as well. I'd say you don't know about this particular application, either. [opinion] To continue to recommend your products as suitable for VW TDIs is irresponsible and is not the mark of a professional sales person. And this, Sir, is one reason I don't trust your opinions.[/opinion]

Don't know if you guys have seen this, but I found this on the Mobil 1 site. They actually recommend against regular Mobil 1 for the VW TDI, instead recommending Mobil's Delvac 1.

quote:

Q: I have a 2002 VW TDI diesel. The owner's manual calls for 5W-40 synthetic, the dealer puts in 5W-30 non-synthetic (because he says the synthetic is too expensive), and I can only find 0W-40 or 5W-30 Mobil 1. First of all, is Mobil 1 safe for the VW TDI engine? Do you have a recommendation as to grade until you make a 5W-40? I live in Eastern Pennsylvania and drive a combination of around town and turnpike driving.

-- Edward Gilardi, Malvern,PA

A: According to the Motor Information Systems Chek-Chart Lubricants Recommendation Guide for 2002, Volkswagen diesel engines require API CF-4 or CG-4 quality level. The Mobil 1 products are not recommended in applications calling for this quality level. The product we recommend to meet this requirement is Mobil Delvac 1, a synthetic SAE 5W-40 of the required quality level.

VW's recommendations came before the advent of CI-4 dino oils, which can withstand the combined effects of EGR and higher piston-ring placement much better than the now obsolete CH rating.

If you want to run dino, go for it! Just make sure it says CI-4 (many places still have CH on the shelfs) and is a big name, mainly Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Pennz. Long-Life, and Rotella. All available for about $6/gallon at Wal-Mart. Change every 3,000 miles and your engine will last for a long, long time.

If you want synthetic, then by all means go that route. Rotella-T is the only one widely available (Delvac 1 kinda is), and at $12/gallon, it's not to bad. Seeing it's a Group III and a CI-4, you will definitely have no probs and could go longer than 3,000.

quote:

Schaeffers products are Group I and/or II.

Wrong!

Here's a quote from the technical data page on Schaeffer Supreme:

quote:

Supreme 7000 is blended from the finest quality solvent refined, severely raffinate hydroconverted Group II Plus100% paraffin base oils and
polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluids available.

This will outperform those group 3 oils that really aren't synthetic anyways.

Volkswagen recommends a synthetic oil in this country because they were initially offering a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty of their vehicles and they wanted to reduce warranty expenses. Synthetic oil helps in this situation. They also recommend 10,000 mile drain intervals and again, a robust synthetic diesel oil helps greatly with this application. They even went to the trouble of having Castrol blend a specific oil for the TDI which isn't CH-4/CI-4 rated nor is it Gp.4 inclusive.

A simple e-mail to any European VW dealer will reveal that VW doesn't require synthetic oil in their German TDI's that use the 90 HP ALH engine.

This oil debate for the Volkswagen diesel has spanned more web pages than I can count. It's a shame to see it tarnish relationships on this page too. Your TDI will run forever on any of the diesel specific oils available from Wally mart and it will run forever on Delvac-1's and Amsoil S3000's also. You may save yourself some dirty internals and maybe a turbocharger at 250,000 miles by using the synthetic gp.4 but the issue certainly isn't worth fighting over. It's funny because the VW dealers in Europe consider our ALH TDI's a fossil and I've actually been told that I could use any oil that I wanted in that 'old designed' engine so long as I changed it within 10,000 KM's. I think we're so tickled to have a diesel powered economy car in the USA that it has gotten blown out of perspective.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Schaeffers products are Group I and/or II.

Wrong!

Here's a quote from the technical data page on Schaeffer Supreme:

quote:

Supreme 7000 is blended from the finest quality solvent refined, severely raffinate hydroconverted Group II Plus100% paraffin base oils and
polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluids available.

This will outperform those group 3 oils that really aren't synthetic anyways.

Correct Patman -- I omitted the 20% or so synthetic component of the blend because I figured that I'd already get 'credit' for covering that earlier, and because my issue with Bob isn't the synthetic component, it's the majority dino oil in the lube. I'm sorry that I left that piece out of the post.

Castrol won the right in court to call their group III lube 'synthetic' because it is much closer in performance to group IV/V than group I/II. I would need to see something independent of this forum to prove to me that Schaeffers' group I/II bases blended with about 20% synth will outperform a group III.

Andy

[ May 09, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Andy H ]

FowVay,

The VW I drive is a 96 Passat TDI. This car has a 10K change in Europe and a 7500 mile change in the 'States. The move to synthetics in the US was because the dealer, and owners, were using the petroleum oils available in the US which are inferior to the lubes available in Europe and having trouble with the engines. The ring lands were plugging with burnt oil, causing the rings to stick, causing high wear, and much shorter life. I'm Absolutely NOT talking about the difference between a 200,000 mile engine life and a 400,000 life.

I lived in England for 4 years and Germany for 3 and used some good oils there. Their petroleum lubes are better than our petroleum lubes, and their synthetics are better than ours. Their 'off the shelf' lubes are better than many of our 'botique' lubes. That's the reason, I believe, that our botique industry in the US has worked as well as it has - it has LOTS of room to work in - and it's fairly easy to exceed the minimum API specs, make an oil that is closer to the ACEA specs and give those of us in the US the lube equivalent of 'Starbucks'.

While the VW dealer Syntec isn't CI-4 (which isn't a requirement in my Passat - remember, 1996), it does meet the VW 502.00 that my engine needs. The VW requirement, and the ACEA specs, are more stringent than our 'minimum standard' API specs.

If VW in Europe doesn't mandate synth in Europe (which has an average 10,000 mile change interval for ALL vehicles to our average 5,000 mile interval) it's because 1. their petroleum oil is built to a higher standard, and 2. their oil's are designed for extended drain intervals. That's for the folks running the oil beyond the 10,000 mile average. The only way we can say that 'petroleum is good enough in Europe, it's good enough for us' is if we're using a lube that is at least as good as the lubes available in the 'fatherland'.

Read here to see how much money it cost the folks at Mercedes when they assumed our oil was as good as European lubes: LubeReport - Mercedes

Or here: Oiltrop Thread or here: Lubes'N'Greases Extended Drain Artlcle for info on the differences between US and European lubes and habits.

Cheers.

Andy H,

I cannot see why a 23% PAO wouldn't work satisfactorily, since a PAO extends the operating parameters of any oil. I will certainly be waiting to see the other poster's UOA on his Schaeffer's run in his TDI. My neighbor uses the #700 (which I asked him to try) in his Caterpillar bulldozer, which has a Supercharger. He's gained about 0.3 hour of operating time from a tank of fuel and cooler running temps. I don't think that if the Schaeffer's was such a poor oil that his Cat would show these gains.

I also cannot agree that European synthetic chemistries are better than ours. There are only so many chemistry combinations that will work with the limited selection of base oils. European chemistries better than Amsoil, Redline, and Mobil; I don't think so.

The major question that you haven't answered is why VW would specify a synthetic oil when you say it sepcifies an oil associated with a group III base, which is simply highly refined VHVI oil.
confused.gif

I'm not a big believer in too much stuff VW recommends anyways, this coming from a company that put in a large number of pistons improperly in their 2.0 engines, resulting in major oil burners. Not to mention the TONS of gasser VWs I see on the roads around here that pump out a lot of smoke, in some cases so bad I can't even stand to be stuck behind them in traffic without my eyes watering.

MolaKule,

The 23% *MAY* make enough difference. And I, too, am looking forward to the UOA from the gent here running Schaeffers in his TDI. But I have yet to see any proof that it will perform either long or short term in these engines.

There are lots of diesel engines around the world that are chugging happily along with dino oil. No disagreement here. And there are plenty of lab and road tests that prove that blends are better than dino oil, and that full synths are better still. So I don't refute at all that there are folks getting decent performance with Schaeffers' blends. But none of these engines have the rings as high on the piston as VW's TDI engine. It's not a valid comparison - it's a 'faulty analogy' logic error. IOW: apples and oranges.

-------------------------
Service Circular Warranty
Subject: 1996-1999 TDI (Turbo-Diesel) Volkswagen Vehicles
Number: V99-05 Use of Synthetic Oil
Date: 1 / 26 / 1999
Effective immediately, please use 5W-30 synthetic oil when performing warranty repairs or Free Maintenance on 1996-1999 model year TDI (diesel) vehicles.
Following are the Volkswagen part numbers, quantities and costs that must be used while the vehicle is within the warranty. Please note that it is more cost effective to utilize the Drop Ship Program rather than ordering through the depot.
In the United States: Part Number Quantity Type of Shipment Dealer Cost ZVW 352 067 DSP 6 quarts Drop Ship [Blanked] ZVW 352 530 S 1 quart Depot [Blanked] In Canada: Part Number Quantity Type of Shipment Dealer Cost ZVW 352 530 S DSP 1 quart Drop Ship [Blanked] ZVW 352 530 S 1 quart Depot [Blanked]
Items to remember: )
Synthetic oil usage will only be reimbursed under warranty or free maintenance for 1996-1999 TDI models. )
Advise customers of the change from mineral based oil to synthetic oil. )
Be certain to utilize and claim the correct quantity of synthetic oil depending on the vehicle / engine class.
----------------------------------
From VW Tech bulletin 99-01
Subject: Synthetic oil, Usage
Models: All with TDI Diesel Engine 1996-1999
Date: Feb 19,1999
Service:
Beginning Jan. 26, 1999, as announced in Warranty Service Curcular V99-05, 5W30 synthetic oil has been approved and will be reimbursed under Warranty, when performing repairs or Free Maintenance for the models listed above.

When performing any service or procedure which requires oil to be changed: Always fill to appropriate level with 5W30 synthetic oil.

Note: Please advise your customers of this change from mineral based oil to synthetic oil.
----------------------------------------

European blenders make different choices when choosing both base stocks and additive packages. In the US, we blend for minimum API standards and an average 5,000 mile change interval. In Europe, to meet ACEA B5, the lube has to be blended to exceed the average 10,000 mile intervals.

Compare two bottles (and specs) of M1 - one that meets the ACEA specs and one that doesn't (the M1 for European cars). Mobil sells a different M1 in the US. See the Lubes'N'Greases article I referenced above for more details.

I didn't say that AMSOIL and Redline weren't European class (I know that at least AMSOIL is world-class). But I'd bet that any on-the-shelf European oil would easily beat any on-the-shelf US oil.

Regarding VW's use of Syntec as the dealer 'synthetic': Group III oils are considered to be synthetic in the US. Castrol is blending an oil specifically for VW, that meets the required VW 502/505 requirements (but not necessarily the latest API spec - again, apples and oranges). So one can meet the manufacturer's requirement with a group III diesel oil that meets either the VW spec or the required API spec. One can therefore exceed the requirement with a full synth meeting or exceeding the required VW or API spec. But one cannot meet the requirement for a TDI with a group I or II oil.

quote:

But I have yet to see any proof that it will perform either long or short term in these engines.

And we have yet to see if those so-called European synthetic oils will sustain long drain intervals as well.

I too have lived in Europe for several years and I travel there very frequently now. I have to disagree with you that their oils are much better than ours. When our oils meet the ACEA specs just like theirs do then it's hard to argue one against the other. Also, if you've traveled much into the eastern block countries then you know that they have some pretty crummy fuel and 'no name' oils also that seem to work just fine in the TDIs.

A blanket statement from a distributor of a product (not the manufacturer) can be a bad thing.

Andy, Correct that a Blend may not meet the VW semantics spec, but I have no doubt a properly blended high quality PAO combined with Group I or Group II( and I believe Schaeffers is using II, and III in the 5w-30) will meet and exceed the VW performance Spec.

Schaeffers is a high quality oil well formulated and I have recommended the 15w-40 blend in the TDI frequently with excellent results.

To confirm my comments contact Ken Pope,PhD at CP/Chem 877 895 4773. Or build your own spec at www.cpchem.com/pao
They used to have a neat online blending chart using various base oil mixed with PAO.

If I'm off base here he'll tell you quick. Hey I'm just a lowly analysis guy.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back