Castrol Edge OE 5w-30 for VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member at BITOG, and a new owner of a used 2003 Jetta TDI (ALH 1.9l no DPF). I had a trusted import shop check the vehicle over and among other things hey changed the oil with Castrol Edge OE 5w-30. The oil is approved to API SM & CF, VW 502.00, 505.00 & 505.01, and ACEA C3, plus some other euro manufacturer's ratings.

Per my VW manual, the proper oil must be rated to the following "either singly or in combination with other designations": VW 502.00 or 500.00 or 505.01; ACEA B3 or B4; API CF-4 or CG-4. The manual also specifies SAE 5w-40 but then goes on to say "if engine oil grade 5w-40 is not available, you can also use SAE 5w-30." There is no discussion in the manual of changing viscosity with ambient temperature, just based on availability of the preferred viscosity.

The servicing mechanic said the Castrol Edge OE (gold bottle) they used is VW's OEM oil. I haven't heard of it before. It meets the VW 505.00 spec, which I understand is the important one for ALH diesels. My questions are:

1. Is this oil any good, or at least worth the high cost? The previous owner used M1 TDT religiously and the engine is in great shape. I intend to use either TDT or Rotella T6 going forward, unless there is a compelling reason to use the Castrol Edge OE.

2. VW's viscosity spec of requiring 5w-40, unless it is unavailable and then allowing 5w-30, seems wishy-washy. Does anyone have experience of running these diesels on 5w-30? All other oils I'm finding for VWs requiring 505.00 are 5w-40. Should I shorten the OCI on the 5w-30 Castrol and get something heavier in there, or is it nothing to be concerned about, given VW's qualified approval?

Nice car. Regret selling the TDI's I had in the past. The ALH is not going to be as picky as the newer motors. Honestly, I would check out tdiclub.com for the best info. However, I would say that you would even be VERY safe in using Rotella T6. It would be a great choice in that motor.

The oil your mechanic used will be fine as well. The ALH is not picky and it's goofy design like the new 1.9 and 2.0.

Hope that helps.

TDI owners have been using M1 TDT and Rotella T6 with great success for many collective miles. You'll be in fine shape with either one.

The reason they have 5w-40 as 1 choise is the PD fuelsystem pumps. They are camshaft operated and the tension between the camshapft and the pump rollerlifter is really high.

In europe people are getting the best results from using 5-40.

But congrtulations with your car. It is a nice car and a really reallly reliable engine.

Edge OE is specifically engineered for European motors. It would do quite well in your car. It's a very thick 5w30 -- almost a 5w40.

Audi/VW would not use this as a service fill (at dealerships) if it wasn't up to the task.

Thanks to everyone for your prompt feedback and combined wisdom. I am more confident in running the Edge OE 5w-30 to a normal OCI. I did not know this formulation is a "high viscosity" 5w-30, which is reassuring.

In my humble opinion, among the major oil manufacturers Castrol does a poor job at positioning their various brands & grades of oil to the consuming public. Glad I can turn to BITOG for some clarity!

Castrol's OE line of oils for dealers might be the most robust oils they make. They are about as good as it gets. I wish they sold it retail.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
1. Is this oil any good, or at least worth the high cost? The previous owner used M1 TDT religiously and the engine is in great shape. I intend to use either TDT or Rotella T6 going forward, unless there is a compelling reason to use the Castrol Edge OE.

2. VW's viscosity spec of requiring 5w-40, unless it is unavailable and then allowing 5w-30, seems wishy-washy. Does anyone have experience of running these diesels on 5w-30? All other oils I'm finding for VWs requiring 505.00 are 5w-40. Should I shorten the OCI on the 5w-30 Castrol and get something heavier in there, or is it nothing to be concerned about, given VW's qualified approval?

1. The oil is fine but certainly not worth the high cost in an ALH-engined TDI. They are not picky engines about oil but the millions of kilometers logged on M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40, European Formula 0w40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w40 speak volumes about their superiority in this application. Plus they're easier and cheaper to buy than Castrol Edge OE 5w30.

2. It is wishy-washy, but the preferred viscosity is 5w40. However it is extremely likely that tens of thousands of TDIs with ALH engines got 5w30 Syntec (gasser oil) at the stealership for many OCIs with no ill effect. Not optimal, certainly, but doable. Keep the Castrol in there for a full 10k mile OCI (but watch the oil level!) and change it for whatever you want at the next service interval.

We had a used 2000 New Beetle TDI (would that now be the old New Beetle... or is the latest version the New New Beetle?) and it got whatever 5w40 diesel-rated oil was closest at hand... Shell Rotella T6, Amsoil AFL, Quaker State Diesel Plus SB, Mobil 1 TDT or Schaffer 9000. No oil-related problems at all.

My Audis' owners manuals were actually quite clear: oil can be any grade meeting ACEA A3/B3 or on the VW 502 list. There was even a sticker under the hood that said "oil must meet VW quality standard 502".

The Jetta's first owner did all dealership service at VW's recommended intervals at a Chicagoland VW dealer for the first 65k miles. The second owner used M1 TDT with Mann+Hummel filters at 7k to 10k mile OCIs to 105k miles, at which point I acquired the vehicle & had the Castrol oil change. I've put 4k miles on the Edge OE since I bought the car in April. Oil level was down a little last week, I added about 8 oz. to get the level back to the full mark. 1/4 of a quart oil consumption in 4k miles is A-OK with me. Hopefully that rate will continue going forward.

If you use the oils suggested above, you will have no issues.
I'd check the miles since the last FULL timing belt job, and be aware '03 models had a history of alternator problems.
Other than that, learn the DIY procedures at tdiclub.com and enjoy the miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back