VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to me this is nothing more than a little trivia tid-bit. This is the world market, which like it or not, I don't think that we (North America)) drive the world market in auto sales anymore. Probably comprised of several models of cars we can't even get here. All of your anecdotal evidence in the world won't change that. I own both a VW (2013 GTI 2 door) and a Toyota (2010 Tacoma extended cab 4WD) and they have both been great vehicles, so that's my anecdotal evidence which has the overall worth of a single rain drop in the ocean.
Continue with the pile-on.

Problems with VW generally come from drivers who buy the, then go to VW to change oil, VW says: it is $69.99, they are like: whaaaaaaaaat? Go to local 10 min oil change, get oil change for $19.99, turbo dies, VW's fault.

Last edited:
When I was buying mine recently, the dealer was pretty busy. I think the lower prices right now are selling quite a few cars. I can't really speak to long term reliability, but for the price the VW certainly feels more up-market than a good number of its rivals. The standard 5 year / 60k power-train warranty is decent too.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Let's look at it this way - when it comes to cars, people vote with their money. It's my money, I earned it and I spend it the way I want. Most are not car people, so long as they get from A to B and their new car has all the dumbed down gadgets and gizmos they can show off to their neighbors, they could not give a shizzle. Some will be sheeple, who want to please others and so they'll go out and buy what everybody else is buying to be in the same "club".

There is, IMHO, no such thing as the "best car" - there will always be a compromise. Amongst car enthusiasts, there will always be strong opinions and affiliations with one brand or another.

The Germans, under tight and continuously changing EU regulations, have always been looking to design high output engines using as little fuel as possible. Much like the French, Peugeot in particular, the Germans build top notch diesel engines, but there is always a compromise between performance, fuel economy, longevity and technology.

The Japanese, on the other hand, have focused on simplicity and sticking with what works. For comparison sake, a '16 Camry in my neck of the woods with 1AZ-FE 2.0L engine that utilizes SFI technology and produces 145 hp and 140 ft-lbs of torque. A '16 Passat with the 2.0 TSI BlueMotion, on the other hand, utilizes TSI (direct injection and turbo charging) and produces 217 hp in the base model, or 276 hp in the all-wheel-drive 4Motion version - both with 258 lb-ft of torque. Yes, one is more advanced than the other, but that doesn't make the other is inferior. Different strokes for different folks.

That is my opinion too. Different targeted market.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
vw stinks....period. and i am entitled to my opinion just as everyone else here is..

With the TDIs putting out 40x the emissions they were supposed to, You're not wrong
sick.gif

vw stinks....period. and i am entitled to my opinion just as everyone else here is..

Of course you are entitled.
Even people like you who drive cars that are interesting like average dish washer have opinion.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

With the TDIs putting out 40x the emissions they were supposed to, You're not wrong
sick.gif

True, but at least they do not forget to assemble car like FCA does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Problems with VW generally come from drivers who buy the, then go to VW to change oil, VW says: it is $69.99, they are like: whaaaaaaaaat? Go to local 10 min oil change, get oil change for $19.99, turbo dies, VW's fault.

Exactly right! VW is partially to blame at least with the older ones as they show in the OC info 5w30 without much emphasis on A3/B4 so naturally the average American driver not being use to Euro specs and the importance of them puts 5w30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Exactly right! VW is partially to blame at least with the older ones as they show in the OC info 5w30 without much emphasis on A3/B4 so naturally the average American driver not being use to Euro specs and the importance of them puts 5w30 in it.

That happened ONLY on one engine for very short period of time, 1.8T and that was in the beginning of sale.
But this is not only VW's problem. BMW's, MB's, etc. all have same problem: uneducated mechanics and drivers who buy $60K car, and then trying to save $20 on oil change.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Starman2112

It's been a great truck, but it was made back before Nissan quality slipped. Rest assured, next truck will be a Tacoma.

Well, at least in Tennessee you don't need to worry about the frame rotting out from beneath it. Been a big issue in the northern US and Canada on both the Tacoma and Tundra. Toyota has been good about fixing them at least.

Did you know this wasn't Toyota's fault?

Yes. They have been good about fixing them. A new frame for a ~10 year old truck is quite nice IMO.

That happened ONLY on one engine for very short period of time, 1.8T and that was in the beginning of sale.
But this is not only VW's problem. BMW's, MB's, etc. all have same problem: uneducated mechanics and drivers who buy $60K car, and then trying to save $20 on oil change.

In your example they would be saving $50. But I do agree with your main point.

What only happened on one engine? for example the owners manual for the 2.0 AEG has API SJ or VW 50000 or VW 50200 or VW 50101 which are A3/B4 oils.

What only happened on one engine? for example the owners manual for the 2.0 AEG has API SJ or VW 50000 or VW 50200 or VW 50101 which are A3/B4 oils.

2.0 AEG did not have issues implied. 2.0AEG you could run Costco brand olive oil and would be fine.
Problem was with 1.8T engine in Jetta and Passat B5 as well as Audi A4, where VW 502.00 was not specified which led to sludge issues. That was addressed in 2001 TB.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

In your example they would be saving $50. But I do agree with your main point.

Yeah, above mentioned example, yes $50.
But, there are numerous threads on this forum where people are contemplating mineral oils over synthetic because synthetic is too expensive.
Same thing with Euro cars. Most drivers understand that they are more complex, but in their mind any synthetic oil is good for them, as long as it is synthetic.

Toyota per se is OK. What I am worried about are Toyota drivers.
There are no drivers that are paying less attention on the road then them.
Driving 65 in 75 limit in left lane, entering construction zone, 45mph limit, they still drive 65 in left lane.

BINGO!

I bought quality 505.01, 506 and then 507 oil for my VW. Still snapped the turbo shaft.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I bought quality 505.01, 506 and then 507 oil for my VW. Still snapped the turbo shaft.
21.gif

It was really old with a lot of miles on it.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Toyota per se is OK. What I am worried about are Toyota drivers.
There are no drivers that are paying less attention on the road then them.
Driving 65 in 75 limit in left lane, entering construction zone, 45mph limit, they still drive 65 in left lane.

BINGO!

This includes ALL non BRZ and WRX Subaru, MOST Volvo, and ALL Honda CRV drivers here. These also notoriously will cross all lanes of traffic in a brake right maneuver from the left lane so they don't miss their exit at the last second.

Even people like you who drive cars that are interesting like average dish washer have opinion.

LOL, next dishwasher I buy is going to be Miele then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back