VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
27.gif

And here I am impressed by all of my Mazda vehicles. Just as fun as a Volkswagen and just as reliable as a Toyota. And cheaper than both for equivalent specs.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
27.gif

And here I am impressed by all of my Mazda vehicles. Just as fun as a Volkswagen and just as reliable as a Toyota. And cheaper than both for equivalent specs.
27.gif

Equivalent, huh?

184hp in a midsize sedan... "Zoom Zoom." I also love the sound the fuel door makes when you pop it... "Tink!"

Heck, I even see that you had to put a Ford motor in one just to make it interesting! Or is that just so it would run reliably?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
27.gif

27.gif

Equivalent, huh?

184hp in a midsize sedan... "Zoom Zoom." I also love the sound the fuel door makes when you pop it... "Tink!"

Heck, I even see that you had to put a Ford motor in one just to make it interesting! Or is that just so it would run reliably?

I love when that is what people assume. The original motor had 225k miles on it when it was pulled from the car. It was even still running, albeit with low compression. That is pretty high mileage for any engine built in the 80s. Sadly rebuilds on rotaries are insanely expensive now days largely due to lack of parts. Cost of swapping a 302 into that car was less than a grand including the price of motor and trans and in some cases a whole donor car, and It took about 5 hours of my time where as a rebuild on a rotary costs a grand just for the kit, not including time to rebuild and possible engine parts that need replacing. The 302 swap is actually a fun car, but that car gets driven far less than my stock motor. In fact, the 85 has not broken down on me once in five years. I can't count how many times the 302 has given me trouble. In fact, it gave me even more trouble when it was still in the fox I pulled it from with only about 80k miles on the motor.

But talking about current day cars, I would sacrifice a slight bit of speed for superior handling and better reliabilty. The speed limit here is 55 on the old highways. It doesn't matter how fast I get to that speed if I never have to go below that speed around a corner. If I was worried about straight line speed, that 5.0 would be supercharged or be a 351.

27.gif

27.gif

Mazdas are fun, they seem to rust a lot around here though.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
27.gif

27.gif

frown.gif

Concur they are fun to drive rot boxes....

27.gif

27.gif

Zoom Zoom.

27.gif

27.gif

Yeah, except they have underpowered engines in 6, and CX5, CX9 has OK turbo engine that drives like diesel (nothing bad, but dies on high rpm's, and does not have diesel torque numbers) and like others said, horrible issues with rust.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
27.gif

27.gif

frown.gif

Luckily, I live in the south where rust isn't generally an issue unless you don't know how to wash a car once a year!

Originally Posted By: Trav
27.gif

27.gif

Zoom Zoom.

Still faster than a Toyota!

and its still only half a second faster in the quarter mile! More importantly it handles like an econocar. But the v6 camry is also not the commonly sold model/configuration. In fact, I personally have never seen one except at the dealer.

Half a second is a pretty big deal in a drag race from my experience..... Otherwise, yes, it is a soulless appliance.

Not only that is soulless, it is ridiculously uncomfortable and loud on the road.
I rent it several times, got cramp in right leg every time, and road noise is ridiculous.

Half a second???

Camry V6: 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and the ¼ mile in 14.3 at 101mph.
Mazda 6: 0-60 in 7.9 seconds and the ¼ mile in 16.1 at 90mph.

Pretty stark difference if you ask me.

Its the rust, they rust bad in the rear quarter and dog legs. I replaced both rear quarters on a otherwise showroom perfect car with ultra one owner low miles bought at an estate sale.
No protection or coating whatsoever in the quarter panels and the steel is IMO poor to fair. Toyota while it might be an appliance has decent steel and a healthy dose of protection especially at the seams. VW and Subaru are both very good in that dept.

I was buying sheet metal from an autobody supplies store but it rusted quickly just from humidity in the air stored inside, I started buying it from a local fabrication shop and even after 3 years its fine, same gauge so there is a huge difference in quality. The nice part is the fab shop considers a 36"x 24" end pieces and charged me less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back