VW surpasses Toyota as number one in sales 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
I don't give a [censored] who's the biggest car maker, I just want the best. And that of course is Toyota. I guess "boring" is the best argument the haters can come up with, albeit complete horsesh!t.

Define "best"
laugh.gif

Toyota (in fact no one) does not offer a wagon that handles like a sedan, has cargo room comparable to a CUV, a stick shift, 0-60 in mid 7s, and gets mid 30s for mpg - oh, and was available for under $20k.

My Golf Sportwagen was by default, "the best", as the only competitor in my segment. If a CUV was priced similarly and obtained similar mpg, I would have considered it and gained ground clearance while losing handling; but literally nothing else could compete with it.

I don't give a [censored] who's the biggest car maker, I just want the best. And that of course is Toyota. I guess "boring" is the best argument the haters can come up with, albeit complete [censored].

How about Smoker and Sludger?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don't give a [censored] who's the biggest car maker, I just want the best. And that of course is Toyota. I guess "boring" is the best argument the haters can come up with, albeit complete [censored].

What was I thinking? You're right. Toyota sucks.

Give me a break. Is Toyota perfect? Nobody is, but they have fewer problems than any automaker.

Give me a break. Is Toyota perfect? Nobody is, but they have fewer problems than any automaker.

Question then, if Toyota is God's gift to the automotive world, why are you still hanging on to your old Nissan? Should have traded that puppy in for a Tacoma!
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Question then, if Toyota is God's gift to the automotive world, why are you still hanging on to your old Nissan? Should have traded that puppy in for a Tacoma!
smirk.gif

It's been a great truck, but it was made back before Nissan quality slipped. Rest assured, next truck will be a Tacoma.

...You're right. Toyota sucks...

I'm glad you are coming around...
28.gif

Last edited:

It's been a great truck, but it was made back before Nissan quality slipped. Rest assured, next truck will be a Tacoma.

Well, at least in Tennessee you don't need to worry about the frame rotting out from beneath it. Been a big issue in the northern US and Canada on both the Tacoma and Tundra. Toyota has been good about fixing them at least.

Well, at least in Tennessee you don't need to worry about the frame rotting out from beneath it. Been a big issue in the northern US and Canada on both the Tacoma and Tundra. Toyota has been good about fixing them at least.

And Previa Vans were folding in half before that... but hey it could be worse they could have airbags that can explode shrapnel into the occupants face... oh wait...

Last edited:

And Previa Vans were folding in half before that... but hey it could be worse they could have airbags that can explode shrapnel into the occupants face... oh wait...

Please... like Toyota is the only one to have airbag recalls. Point out every flaw in Toyota's history if you will, but it will still be less, and in most cases far less, any other manufacturer has had.

Without being political, it would seem that once again, the general public doesn't like doing what they're told by the media.

In all seriousness, as mentioned above, every company has their flaws.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Maybe they're counting their own buybacks in the sales figures
laugh.gif

Car and Driver joked they'd take all the buybacks and rebrand them as Seats for the European market.

Let's look at it this way - when it comes to cars, people vote with their money. It's my money, I earned it and I spend it the way I want. Most are not car people, so long as they get from A to B and their new car has all the dumbed down gadgets and gizmos they can show off to their neighbors, they could not give a shizzle. Some will be sheeple, who want to please others and so they'll go out and buy what everybody else is buying to be in the same "club".

There is, IMHO, no such thing as the "best car" - there will always be a compromise. Amongst car enthusiasts, there will always be strong opinions and affiliations with one brand or another.

The Germans, under tight and continuously changing EU regulations, have always been looking to design high output engines using as little fuel as possible. Much like the French, Peugeot in particular, the Germans build top notch diesel engines, but there is always a compromise between performance, fuel economy, longevity and technology.

The Japanese, on the other hand, have focused on simplicity and sticking with what works. For comparison sake, a '16 Camry in my neck of the woods with 1AZ-FE 2.0L engine that utilizes SFI technology and produces 145 hp and 140 ft-lbs of torque. A '16 Passat with the 2.0 TSI BlueMotion, on the other hand, utilizes TSI (direct injection and turbo charging) and produces 217 hp in the base model, or 276 hp in the all-wheel-drive 4Motion version - both with 258 lb-ft of torque. Yes, one is more advanced than the other, but that doesn't make the other is inferior. Different strokes for different folks.

It is the critical things in life that are so important, don't you think so....now where is my Starbucks revolving charge card..

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
VW golf gti is considered about the best compact to get in many performance-car people's opinion. If you care about drivetrain, steering, handling, which are big in my book.

GTI does well at those but other surpsss those three criteria typically. GTI advantage is great interior and comfort coupled to those criteria.

Not surprised in other markets.

In us market our criteria and taste differs for mass market. Also their SUV line up for USA is garbage and outdated and overpriced compared to competition. So consumers move on.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This is hilarious... I know alot of folks with VW's and the only ones that like them are the ones who are able to fix them or know a really good indy. Anyone can fix a Toyota but to have proper repairs done on a VW, you need to find good trained people. I know a good number of people who scrapped their VW's due to many and expensive repairs and chronic breakdowns. To each their own but I'd never been into VW. I love how everyone echoes fun to drive but reality is, you have speed limits and traffic rules..I guess Im boring but I will take reliability over fun.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a Toyota, they are easy to work on, dependable and all that but you can say the same for VW. Some of the easiest cars ever to work on were the original Beetles, I an still get a 34 HP engine out and on the floor in 30 min drinking a coffee at the same time (I could do it in 20 min when I was younger).

The new ones are easy to work on, nothing earth shaking about them, the V6 and V8 engines crammed in smaller bodies can be a PITA but not terrible the same can be said for Toyota. The 2.0 slow and is Euro smaller displacement relatives is one of the easiest engines ever built to work on, its a simple and long lasting engine that rivals anyone's in quality, dependability and longevity.

There is nothing difficult at all about working on a Passat, Golf, Jetta, new Beetle and similar Audi models. Over the years I have owned more VW's than I can count and worked on many from old Kafers, Super beetles, Golfs, new Beetles a couple of Passats a few Audi models thrown in A8, TT and an old 90 and even older Fox.
I can honestly say I never had a bad one or one that left me stranded in the street, never a bad engine or transmission, no severe rot just normal maintenance stuff.

Where can you get a scant tool for a Toyota that does everything for $49 I don't mean a code reader I mean one that can adjust the TB, activate the ABS and other systems, get the radio code, do fuel trims and everything else a OE VW scan tool can do. For a VW you can.

Falcon_LS hit the nail on the head, "different strokes for different folks".

Originally Posted By: Leo99
It's your money. You can spend it as you wish. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Lots of people like vanilla. My Toyotas must be defective because they all go faster when you push the gas pedal.

In reality every car "goes faster" but I have never ridden in a Toyota (excluding a Supra) that was a blast to drive or ride in. The gas pedal makes it move and the brake pedal makes it stop. However neither do it in a spirited way to make it any better or more entertaining than another car. Toyota sets a great bar to compare everything else to. The bar is, does it run and drive without having to call a tow truck more than once a year? Then the next question would be if it does, then is the improvement in handling, acceleration, or fun factor worth having to work on my car slightly more? Luckily there are companies like Mazda, Subaru, and dare I say Honda who provide all of these things without any extra maintenance on top of a Toyota and at a similar price, if not cheaper.

If you want to be the same as everybody in the neighborhood then a Toyota (or Honda if you wanted a little more sportiness) is great. If you want to have a lot of fun while driving and not be bored on your commute to work, then I tend to suggest something along the lines of Mazda or subaru or even some of the newer Chevy vehicles.

Vehicles are all a matter of opinion and taste. I like fun even if it costs an extra $5 per year and that is my decision. Of course, out of all of the Mazda's I have bought, they cost less on initial purchase price than a Toyota and have a lower insurance premium so I am actually saving money to have more fun!

Toyota per se is OK. What I am worried about are Toyota drivers.
There are no drivers that are paying less attention on the road then them.
Driving 65 in 75 limit in left lane, entering construction zone, 45mph limit, they still drive 65 in left lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back