VW PASSAT OPINIONS PLEASE

Thinking of a 2022 to replace the Fusion. If you own or have rented one I would appreciate your opinions, good bad or indifferent. Lot of wisdom here which I value. I’m looking for a good road car with decent MPG and handling, quiet a real plus.

TIA
Smoky

I rented one 2 years ago. WOW! It was fun to drive and comfortable. Looked regal and got good fuel mileage! I think the maintenance is a bit more expensive. But, I would defer to others...Good luck!

1639854167823.png

New or old, the same rules apply. Even for the newest ones.

I thought they were a nice ride with nearly 40 mpg hwy. Big and comfortable and a good warranty.
But don't pay MSRP right now.

The only negative is it is the last year and resale will be questionable.
So as a keeper no big deal. But as early flip or trade in probably won't be good.
They laugh here but several sites indicate it is as reliable as the Accord or Camry.

My wife and I bought a brand new 2016 Passat SEL Premium VR6 (But we bought it in December 2018!. You can find my post. It has 30K miles on it now). We bought it for the roomy back seat, which is even roomier than you might imagine.

Some rambling thoughts in no particular order:

1) Both my wife and I found the ride to be far too soft. The front end bobbed up and down on undulating roadways like an old '60s American car with a big honking V8 in it. Totally unacceptable. Within weeks of buying I put in H&R OEM Sport springs and Bilstein B6 struts and shocks; along with a larger H&R rear anti-roll bar. Also too, BBS SX 19"x8.5" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The ride and handling is now perfect in our opinion. If you like a firmer ride the Passat is not the car for you, unless you change springs and shocks.
2) The trunk is just as roomy as the back seat.
3) The VR6 engine is phenomenal. Very good power and a very healthy sound. I cannot imagine the car without this motor. IMO the car will be a slug without the VR6 (which is no longer offered).
4) The car seems to have a few electrical glitches. Sometimes it won't start because it says a key is not in range. But the key is right there in my pocket or my wife's purse. We've replaced the fob batteries more than once, which makes no difference. The only way we can get it to recognize the key is to wave it around the center console up near the dash. Then it'll work fine for weeks, only to not recognize it at some point in the future.
5) Electrical glitches continued... My wife and I both use this car and have each key programmed for our seat and mirror positions. That said, every second or third time I drive the car the seat adjusts but the driver's side mirror doesn't. Because these are memory items I sometimes forget to check the side mirror until I need it - like merging onto the freeway - only to find my mirror pointing upwards towards the sky. Annoying!!!
6) The the one time I used the dealer for warranty service, it was a total joke. I ended up fixing the problem myself.
7) The body structure has a distinct hollow sound compared to our BMWs, and both our BMWs have more aggressive suspension setups. It's not a lack of body structure stiffness - the overall structure seems tight - but it seems it lacks sound deadening material in places. That said, the car is quiet overall.
8) Both my wife and I notice we get treated differently on the roadway when driving the Passat. In the Passat we are treated like old people. In the BMWs and Honda we are treated like peers.
9) I have never seen polycarbonate headlights chip so easily. But, both high and low beams illuminate well.
10) Lastly, we reliably get 30 to 32 MPG at 70.

In summary, we like that car overall. Set up like ours is, it looks and drives great. The back seat room is amazing. The VR6 is fantastic and the DSG transmission is very, very good. It is a car you can drive 750 miles a day in.

Would I buy it again? No. And the only reason I say this is I think the car might be prone to electrical glitches that could become maddening.

Scott

IMG_2459.jpeg

Last edited:
I like VW's. No "what oil should i use?!!" , just chug some 15w40 or something in the engine, and you're all good.

I had a 2015 VW Passat TDI. It was a great car and the TDI was phenomenal as we drove a lot following our daughter's college softball team. Put 63k miles on it in 2 years and 3 days of ownership and got several 900 mile tanks out of it. Traded in for the tdi buyback as I hit a deer and knew the deal they gave me for it in the buyback was the best I would ever get. Loved the big back seat and trunk. It was a true long distance car. With the initial 1k dollar we screwed up payment from vw and the buyback amount I almost drove it for free.
Edit. As for the maintenance I do all my own even the dsg fluid change at 40k. People see some special tools like triple squares and the like and freak out. Buy those tools and work on them. Its just a car.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Passat I bought new. Now has over 18,000 miles on it. We really like this car. I have the dealer do the service as my age and medical situation kind of make it difficult to do my own any more. I have the VW 508 oil changed every 5000 miles and the car burns no oil between changes. On the highway, we get better than 40 mpg using mid-grade gas. Last trip from PA to FL we averaged just over 42. The car has the four cylinder engine (Budack) and a six speed auto. The Budack engine can be a tad noisy on acceleration but that is the nature of the beast. Now, this is not a sports car but it is a great, extremely comfortable and very roomy highway cruiser. Seats are very comfortable, trunk and back seat are ENORMOUS. Fit and finish are excellent. I have the Wolfsburg edition which is the lower of the two models. The other would have been the R model.

This is our fourth VW in 12 years. None of them have ever been in for warranty work. Do expect to replace spark plugs every 40,000 miles (VW requirement) but other than that, maintenance is normal. I am very pleased not only with the cars I have purchased from VW but also with the service I have received from two dealers here in central PA. YMMV.

My "issues" with the current Passat:

The NMS chassis wasn't as good as the B6 it replaced, even when it was new. It's 10 years old now.

It's big and roomy but doesn't feel very VW. Very hollow and Americanized.

There's only one engine and it's not very good. With the TDI, 2.5, or 3.6, it is easy to overlook some of the car's blandness. With the Budack 2.0, not so much.

I had a 2018 I purchased new and put 56k on before trading it in September, only because trade in value was insane (yes I bought another VW). Mine was a GT with the VR6 so the drive train would not be comparable to current offerings with the 2.0 4 cyl Budack.

I never had a single issue, but the GT was optioned similar to an SE except for the suspension and drive train, so it didn't have memory seats and some of the real fancy doo dads that slo town has had issues with. Incredible cruising car with ridiculous back seat and trunk room. Very good build quality. I didn't have a single issue with mine, yes I'd recommend one on the car's merits alone.

I get the impression you keep your cars a while and if so the Passat should be a great pick. If you want to trade it in 2 years maybe not, an out of production sedan that was getting long in the tooth anyway might get bit pretty hard at trade time.

We have several Fusions in the family and they are great cars, probably one of Ford's very best efforts in the last 20 years. The Passat is a better car IMO.

They are coming out with a send off "limited edition" for 2022 in green with tan leather, how cool is that???

The "New" Passat is still on the PQ46 chassis that dates back to 2006. If it was on the MQB chassis like the rest of VW's in the US, it would have things like a digital cockpit and the latest MIB infotainment... something the Jetta has, which the Passat does not, since the Jetta is on the MQB chassis.

Yes the Jetta lives on. VW's top seller in the US until finally passed by the Tiguan, still number two in sales, and according to VW Americans associate "Jetta" with the brand more than any other model.

OP you might also look at a Jetta when you shop Passats, they cost less, will not be going out of production anytime soon and typical of VW the base and SE models offer tremendous value, you get an awful lot for what you pay. The Jetta is not a small car by the way, although it definitely does not match the Passat in rear seat or trunk room.

I personally did not like the way the 2.0 Budack in the Passat drove. The Jettas small 1.4 (or 1.5 for 22) is peppy and delivers amazing mpg.

Back