VW 8 speed transmission fluid change

I will start by saying that I am used to doing transmission fluid drain and fills on Hondas, which quite frankly are easier than an oil change. Performing this service on our VW on the other hand is foreign to me, so know that going into this conversation ;).

I intend on purchasing this kit from ECS >>> Transmission fluid pump, as well as OEM fluid (though I am not sure how much to purchase) as information on fluid changes for the VW 09S (8 speed auto) is VERY limited from what I can find.

I do have a few questions that I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on. I am reading that the car needs to be level to perform this service, as well as having the transmission fluid temp between 35-45 celsius. My primary questions are #1, can this service be performed using ramps (on front wheels only), and #2 would it be safe to assume that as long as I measure the volume of transmission fluid that comes out COLD, I could simply add the same amount back without fussing with having the car level, and at a certain temp?

I'd like to do a drain and fill on this transmission at 10K then every 20K thereafter if I can perform this service myself. If I end up having to pay the dealer I'd likely have it done every 30K. Sooner is better in my book so DIY is preferable as the cost savings should be appreciable.

OH TO HAVE A DIPSTICK! haha.

One issue is sometimes the transmissions aren't filled properly from the factory -- both over- and underfilled. That said, transmission should be level in order to be accurate for refill and fluid level check. One set of ramps won't cut it if your driveway is level.

Just a drain and refill. Good practice to do frequent drain and fills IMO.

Not that frequently. 30k would be the absolute minimum I'd consider, and that would have to be for a transmission known to be weak, flawed or sensitive to ATF which this one is not...or some crazy operating environment like towing or racing.

Not that frequently. 30k would be the absolute minimum I'd consider, and that would have to be for a transmission known to be weak, flawed or sensitive to ATF which this one is not...or some crazy operating environment like towing or racing.
I don't find anything wrong with his maintenance plan.
If the pan doesn't have a drain plug, I would definitely add one.

I don't find anything wrong with his maintenance plan.
If the pan doesn't have a drain plug, I would definitely add one.

Changing ATF in a brand new car at 10k miles is a complete waste of time, money and resources. It will add absolutely zero life to the transmission. I believe the factory interval is every 80k, if you want to cut that in half it's overkill but at least it's a reasonable interval.

Changing ATF in a brand new car at 10k miles is a complete waste of time, money and resources. It will add absolutely zero life to the transmission. I believe the factory interval is every 80k, if you want to cut that in half it's overkill but at least it's a reasonable interval.
I still think it's ok.

Yes I would do a drain and fill the same amount back in. There is no substantial reasons to doubt the factory fill. If the transmission shifts fine and thousands of people don’t touch the ATF at all, the factory fill must be correct.

You cannot achieve a consistent positive outcome, that is transmission operating as designed, by consistently doing the wrong thing, that is over/under filling the transmission at the factory.

It’s a logical fallacy that somehow got traction on the internet because of a cheap plastic service tool, which was revised BTW, and not verifiable service practices, like vehicle level and ATF temperatures.

Do you not check your oil level after an oil change?
Fill the trans with what you measured, put the fill plug in, let it idle until it's at the specified temp, and pull the drain plug. If fluid runs out you're good.

IIRC he lives in Florida and he might be at checking temp immediately lol

It's not rocket surgery IMO. The Touareg is high enough that I don't even lift it.

Do you not check your oil level after an oil change?
I certainly do. But I could also drain the oil, measure how much was drained and add the same back in (also verifying that the amount added is the proper quantity).

Having said that, my comment was in regard to you saying that a drain and fill would be a waste of time. My point being that that is the procedure most dealers would use is a drain and refill anyway.

I’d rather do frequent drain and fills than waiting until 80k and doing a singe drain and fill then at the dealer. If I follow my 20k drain and fill interval by the time it reaches 80k it would have had nearly all the fluid replaced.

Back