VW 508 Oil Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick search and did not find this. So if it was posted, you'll have to forgive me for posting again. Just replaced the TDI Passat with a 2019 VW Passat with the 2.0 liter gasoline engine and auto trans (not a DSG). This car now requires VW 508 oil which is 0W-20 so VW has now joined the bandwagon as has Audi.

It appears to be a spec for vehicles that call for 0W-20. So yes you could say VW jumped on the 0W20 bandwagon. Looking at Mobil 1 ESP, VW 504 spec and 507 spec are 0W and 5W-30 oils.

I just had my first OC at the VW dealer, and the car doesn't run as well as I did with the factory oil.

They wont show me what they put in. And no text on the R.O. just service numbers. The Writer said Castrol Edge. But I couldn't get him to confirm the 508 spec. Engine is now doggy from 1500-2500 where before it spun up like the pistons were on ball bearings.

I'm going in for a recall on rear coil springs replacement in a couple weeks - I'll try to snoop around for bulk oil and chat with the techs.
This place REALLY isolates you from the shop like I've never seen. But I will push to see the before and after of the spring installation.

If I'm in a rush on the interstate, I don't want a spring popping out at 85 MPH.

Well VW, they keep harassing me and its their car not mine so in I go. Again.
I wish they would pay attention to the excessive tire wear instead.

The fronts are 1/2 worn (6/32) at 4800 miles. If they think I'm putting a new set of tires on at lease end they have another thing coming

Sumitomo is dumping junk..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I just had my first OC at the VW dealer, and the car doesn't run as well as I did with the factory oil.

They wont show me what they put in. And no text on the R.O. just service numbers. The Writer said Castrol Edge. But I couldn't get him to confirm the 508 spec. Engine is now doggy from 1500-2500 where before it spun up like the pistons were on ball bearings.

I'm going in for a recall on rear coil springs replacement in a couple weeks - I'll try to snoop around for bulk oil and chat with the techs.
This place REALLY isolates you from the shop like I've never seen. But I will push to see the before and after of the spring installation.

If I'm in a rush on the interstate, I don't want a spring popping out at 85 MPH.

Maybe they did a computer flash to insure that the car can go that 6 year 72kmiles while under warranty. Reducing the output of the engine by about 30% saves the turbo/oil and engine internals......just a thought.

Originally Posted by sloinker

Maybe they did a computer flash to insure that the car can go that 6 year 72kmiles while under warranty. Reducing the output of the engine by about 30% saves the turbo/oil and engine internals......just a thought.

lol.gif

Where do you guys come up with this crap?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by sloinker

lol.gif

Where do you guys come up with this crap?

It's not as if Volkswagen hasn't used shady software practices in the past.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Other mfrs also recommend Xw20 in their turbos w/o incident. Drive on and enjoy that beautiful car.

It doesn't have a GTI engine.

It has a detuned Tiguan engine with the Budack cycle, so it was designed for 508 from the start

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
It doesn't have a GTI engine.

It has a detuned Tiguan engine with the Budack cycle, so it was designed for 508 from the start

This

Originally Posted by Nederlander75
0w20's the Devil.

Whatever the factory fill was on my Jetta it was an awesome 0w20!

Your turbo was spooling faster with 0W20 than 5W40 which you have now in sump. That is it. Put any 0W20, it will do same.

I have to update.

Car was exhibiting moderate cylinder imbalance just before the dealer OC.

I ran some Gumout Regain a couple days ago and the engine just cleared up last night.

Smooth as silk no de-tune now no bog.

Could have been a hot stuck piston ring or one of 10000 other silly things that was not working correctly.

Either the oil fixed it or the Regain or it just fixed itself. I will never know.

It's all good now. Thankfully I don't have to order VW508 oil and perform an "emergency" OC on ramps now.

I did re-learn that Castrol professional oil has tracer in it and glows BIG TIME under UV. I don't have a UV lamp to check it;(

Hopefully this sumpfull will inhibit stuck rings. - that's the sign of a good oil.

Another lesson in: correlation, causation, coincidence and confounding factors

Paranoia! they Destroy Ya !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back