Amsoil jumping into the VW 0w20 508 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, but not surprised. It wouldn't surprise me if Amsoil is using some GTL in their other oils too.

I wonder why most if not all of the VW euro 0w20's are built around GTLs?

Yup, GrIII and GrIII+

Last edited:
Smart move by Amsoil I'm sure they'll sell a lot of it. But given a choice, I'd use Mobil 1 ESP.

Since i'm a RP fanboy, i'd go with their 0/5w-20. Neither have approval but just realized i can get one at AAP for $35(5qt)w/filter. :)

At between 5-7k miles, i'd wager not much. But let's be clear, i'm not recommending anyone use a non-approved oil. But if they aren't concerned about oil related warranty issues, the choice is their's. My desire to use RP is based solely on my interaction with them when contacted, non-quantifiable emotions and placebo effect "smoothness", nothing else. :cool:

At between 5-7k miles, i'd wager not much. But let's be clear, i'm not recommending anyone use a non-approved oil. But if they aren't concerned about oil related warranty issues, the choice is their's. My desire to use RP is based solely on my interaction with them when contacted, non-quantifiable emotions and placebo effect "smoothness", nothing else. :cool:
I don't know, I guess if I'm deviating from the "warranty oil" then I'll deviate towards something with a documented performance increase such as Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. At least there you're getting a minimum 3.5 HTHS. I can't see any benefit in what amounts to a making a lateral move to a non-warranty oil.

I don't know, I guess if I'm deviating from the "warranty oil" then I'll deviate towards something with a documented performance increase such as Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. At least there you're getting a minimum 3.5 HTHS. I can't see any benefit in what amounts to a making a lateral move to a non-warranty oil.
What you state above makes complete sense and I get it. But my impulse is to get RP if I can get it for a reasonable (to me) value. Just one of those things...

Amsoil is too CHEEP to pay for the approvals, unlike their $$$$$ oil pricing!!

Plus, the RP bottles look cool, are purple, and are sold at Walmart. Winning.

Smart move by Amsoil I'm sure they'll sell a lot of it. But given a choice, I'd use Mobil 1 ESP.
But you can buy the OEM VW 508 oil of which is made by M1 for less money than the ESP. Best bang for the buck 508 oil, is the OEM VW 508 had at the dealer for $8.25 a qt as of 09/19/2022

What performance differences could one expect to see between an actual 508 00 oil (such as Volkswagen's label) and Royal Purple or Amsoil?
The VW 508 is a Low Saps 0w20. The other 0w20's you listed are not. What does that mean? Possible emission issues down the road, and or, increased carbon deposits on the intake valves.

The HTHS of 3.5 would not be a good idea for the new oil pump in the VAG cars that run 508. You think it would be ok, but if it was? Then why do non of the known Tuners like APR or Unitronic use nothing other than 508 oils in their tuned street cars?

The VW 508 is a Low Saps 0w20. The other 0w20's you listed are not. What does that mean? Possible emission issues down the road, and or, increased carbon deposits on the intake valves.
EA888 Generation 3 is dual injection. I looked at the intake manifold on mine and have found port fuel injection.

EA888 Generation 3 is dual injection. I looked at the intake manifold on mine and have found port fuel injection.
Maybe where you are they're dual injection. Funny, though, as I thought even Euro VW cars were moving away from dual injection. I'd still use something with a bit more HTHS if stepping out of approved oils under warranty. Fuel kills oil in these engines as is.

The HTHS of 3.5 would not be a good idea for the new oil pump in the VAG cars that run 508. You think it would be ok, but if it was? Then why do non of the known Tuners like APR or Unitronic use nothing other than 508 oils in their tuned street cars?
There are a lot of misconceptions about oil out there, some of which think that a particular piece of equipment on an engine will be damaged or otherwise harmed by a somewhat higher HT/HS. I consider them all bogus considering that unless the oil is at full operating temperature then every oil is thicker than some lower grade no matter what. Here in the upper Midwest, in the winter there are thousands of cars that never reach full operating temperature and yet they aren't failing - and if they do then that is one radically poor design.

And tuners have completely different goals than someone who wishes to keep their vehicle as long as possible, as I do.

Amsoil moving like the rest of the market in order to remain in business. The bulk of the euro market in the US has moved to 20w and not to mention there are plenty of vehicles coming out of warranty which were spec'd for this weight.

Amsoil moving like the rest of the market in order to remain in business. The bulk of the euro market in the US has moved to 20w and not to mention there are plenty of vehicles coming out of warranty which were spec'd for this weight.
In recent years, it seems like Amsoil has not been as "resistive" towards OEM specs. They have actually begun to license some of their products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back