VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

And an HTHS greater than 3.5 (504 00 is a minimum of 3.5) along with lower ash requirement. That's one "oddity" of 504 00 as it only has an upper SA limit of 1.5%. The phosphorus limit is also extremely low.

But good luck finding one. Most current 504 00 oils have a lower SA value due to also being ACEA C3.

It's the 40w version of 504.00.
Why would 511.00 5w-40 be better for the 3.0T V6 EA839 series than a 504.00 spec 5w-30?
I'm not opposed to running a non-spec oil, I just need good, substantial reasons.
I ran Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in my 2006 Jetta TDI with zero issues after much discussion with folks on the tdiclub forum.

Why would 511.00 5w-40 be better for the 3.0T V6 EA839 series than a 504.00 spec 5w-30?
I'm not opposed to running a non-spec oil, I just need good, substantial reasons.
I ran Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck in my 2006 Jetta TDI with zero issues after much discussion with folks on the tdiclub forum.
Oh I haven't a clue if it's "better". I was just pointing out how it relates to 504. I guess it's an option. Iirc 511.00 is a relatively new spec.

It surely is annoying how the euros have become so neurotic over grades.

VW511.00 is specifically developed for RS and S models, Porsche with GPF etc. It is used in Europe for specifically those models.
Now, is VW504.00/507.00 do a good job? Absolutely. But, if your S is seeing highs speeds, track, etc. I would go 511.

VW511.00 is specifically developed for RS and S models, Porsche with GPF etc. It is used in Europe for specifically those models.
Now, is VW504.00/507.00 do a good job? Absolutely. But, if your S is seeing highs speeds, track, etc. I would go 511.
No plans to track it, except for maybe an introductory sport driving course, but I do enjoy letting it stretch it's legs when the opportunity arises. :D

No reason to deviate from VW504.00/507.00. But, some of VW 511.00 look really good. If you decide to track, absolutely W40 grade.
There was a long thread from folks in the B9 S4 subforum on Audizine talking about how they were gonna go non-spec, but noone ever bothered to post UOA's. All hat, no cattle.

There was a long thread from folks in the B9 S4 subforum on Audizine talking about how they were gonna go non-spec, but noone ever bothered to post UOA's. All hat, no cattle.
Besides TBN it wouldn’t show how the oil “performed” anyway. A UOA does not show that.

I am not saying you should go non approved. We are still talking approved VW oil, basically thicker VW504.00/507.00.
On Audizine I know where it is gonna go: Rotella, Delvac etc.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else on here has been running non-508 oil in a VW with no problems. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary in the oil pan with mine after a change.

Runs great, sounds great, no mpg loss compared to the first 10K.
Dang this thread has gotten long!

As long as the volkswagen engine you are using is NATURALLY ASPIRATED , no point in looking at specifications, I only run 15w40 in my naturally aspirated engines, maybe 20w50, or a sae 30 , sometimes but rarely an sae 40. These naturally aspirated ones don't care what oil you run as long as its used at the right ambient temperature, just my experience and no engine issues, perfect compression, and starts right up.

Ok, here you have to give owners of VW benefit of doubt. It is not unusual to have one recommendation in the manual, another one under the hood, and dealerships using third oil :)
You are so right about this, i had to go to the dealer to get my keyfob skc programmed, my EEPROM stopped working so no more backyard edits.
Jerks had the nerve to jack it up while i was gone and change the OIL. You know what oil they used on my 2.0???? 5w30!!!! I should make a custom oil cap saying to only use 15w40

Dang this thread has gotten long!

As long as the volkswagen engine you are using is NATURALLY ASPIRATED , no point in looking at specifications, I only run 15w40 in my naturally aspirated engines, maybe 20w50, or a sae 30 , sometimes but rarely an sae 40. These naturally aspirated ones don't care what oil you run as long as its used at the right ambient temperature, just my experience and no engine issues, perfect compression, and starts right up.

Well I thought the 2.0 tdi vs gas differences guy was the post of the week, but this might take the prize

This is exactly why VW has approvals

You are so right about this, i had to go to the dealer to get my keyfob skc programmed, my EEPROM stopped working so no more backyard edits.
Jerks had the nerve to jack it up while i was gone and change the OIL. You know what oil they used on my 2.0???? 5w30!!!! I should make a custom oil cap saying to only use 15w40

I'd worry a whole lot less about the grade than I would about the approval. All VW approvals have a minimum HT/HS requirement making grade irrelevant.

Back