VW 507 Oil

Looking at oil that meets the VW 507.00 spec for a 2011 TDI Jetta.

Is all 507 rated oil a 30 weight?

Manual says factory fill is a 5w-40 synthetic?

Any suggestions for readily available oil that meets the spec?

Drawbacks to using a HDEO 5w-40, 10w-30 or 15w-40?

I’m in TN so climate is very mild.

Non 507 oils have higher ash that will load up the DPF sooner.
Use this.
Screenshot_20220318-031414_Chrome.jpg

Once again VW has contradicted itself, all 504/507 is Xw30 , the equivalent spec in 40 grade is VW 511. There's plenty of 504/507 choices, Castrol Edge LL 5W30 , Valvoline XL3 5W30, Valvoline Euro 0W30, Mobil ESP 0W30 and 5W30. If you want to step up to 40 grade, there's mobil ESP X3 0W40, Autozone seems to be carrying it now, $36.99 for 5qts + a filter, but they seem to have replaced the old Corvette only 0W40 sku with it, so some stores may have not rotated it into stock yet.

Is all 507 rated oil a 30 weight?

Yes, and 5W-30 should be perfectly fine for your Jetta.

Looking at oil that meets the VW 507.00 spec for a 2011 TDI Jetta.

Manual says factory fill is a 5w-40 synthetic?

If so, your manual is wrong. All 2011 TDI came with VW 507 00 oil.
Btw, are you asking (because question mark)? I don't know what's
in your owners manual.

Why would you even want to?

Yes, and 5W-30 should be perfectly fine for your Jetta.

If so, your manual is wrong. All 2011 TDI came with VW 507 00 oil.
Btw, are you asking (because question mark)? I don't know what's
in your owners manual.

That’s what’s in the manual......I was thinking all 507s are 30 wt but the manual said factory fill is 40wt.

Why would you even want to?
I have lots of HDEO on the shelf already

I don't think that was the basis of his question.

ok, what’s the drawback to HDEO, like I asked in the OP?

I have gallons of it on the shelf for equipment and Cummins powered trucks. One less item to stock if there are no drawbacks......but why would I even want to? 😂

ok, what’s the drawback to HDEO, like I asked in the OP?

I have gallons of it on the shelf for equipment and Cummins powered trucks. One less item to stock if there are no drawbacks......but why would I even want to? 😂
You started off by asking for an oil that carries 507 00 approval, right? Do any of the oils you have in this large stash have that approval?

What are the ash levels on those oils in your large stash?

You started off by asking for an oil that carries 507 00 approval, right? Do any of the oils you have in this large stash have that approval?

What are the ash levels on those oils in your large stash?

I asked for oils that carry VW507.

I also asked for drawbacks to HDEO, which were posted by the first two reply’s. I didn’t ask for smart comments. Your time would be better spent being helpful. 😉

I asked for oils that carry VW507.

I also asked for drawbacks to HDEO, which were posted by the first two reply’s. I didn’t ask for smart comments. Your time would be better spent being helpful. 😉
What part of my post was smart and wasn't helpful? Just trying to pare down what you were asking. We seem to be on the same page in regards to the approval though?

I also asked for drawbacks to HDEO, which were posted by the first
two reply’s. I didn’t ask for smart comments. Your time would be better
spent being helpful. 😉

Yes, however you didn't state which HDEOs exactly you're stocking.
You'll understand that talking about the drawbacks without knowing
which oil is hardly possible. Granted, as a generalization the potential
drawback could be poisoning the catalyst and clogging your DPF.

Last edited:
While not VW 507 rated I've had good luck using Delvac-1 esp 5w-40 in my '14 PassatTDI SEL (my third tdi). At 226k miles now, oil & filter changes at 10k intervals. I add about a pint at about 7000 miles. Pre Covid I drove ~ 35k miles a year with a 140 mile round trip commute daily. Avg ~40mpg. Good luck, John

While not VW 507 rated I've had good luck using Delvac-1 esp 5w-40 in my '14 PassatTDI SEL (my third tdi). At 226k miles now, oil & filter changes at 10k intervals. I add about a pint at about 7000 miles. Pre Covid I drove ~ 35k miles a year with a 140 mile round trip commute daily. Avg ~40mpg. Good luck, John
This is important, how it's driven. I had a 2015 Passat TDI and put 63k miles on it in two years. All highway miles could help the dpf stay clearer on a non 507 HDEO as there would be more complete regens. Alot of short trip or city driving not so much.
But in a newer VW tdi 15w-40 is just overkill when a 5w-30 works just fine, with no downside

507 = 0.8% Ash and 800 ppm Phosphorus
CK-4 = 1.0% Ash and 1200 ppm Phosphorus

In theory the Exhaust Aftertreatment equipment could last 50% longer on VW 507.00.

A 5W-40 CK-4 should easily go the factory drain intervals.

507 = 0.8% Ash and 800 ppm Phosphorus
CK-4 = 1.0% Ash and 1200 ppm Phosphorus

In theory the Exhaust Aftertreatment equipment could last 50% longer on VW 507.00.

A 5W-40 CK-4 should easily go the factory drain intervals.
Actually VW 507 00 approval has an ash limit of 1.5% as does 504 00. It's the usually accompanying ACEA C3 that drives it to 0.8%. And I also think the phosphorus limit is driven by C3.

Actually VW 507 00 approval has an ash limit of 1.5% as does 504 00. It's the usually accompanying ACEA C3 that drives it to 0.8%. And I also think the phosphorus limit is driven by C3.

Mistake on my part then. I was under the impression C3 was part of the requirement.

Mistake on my part then. I was under the impression C3 was part of the requirement.
It is, although VW also state 1.5% ash for some reason. They also have a DPF blocking engine test in 507 00.

"Low ash" HDEO is higher ash than "low ash" PCEO.

Back