VW 504 questions

Just purchased a VW Atlas with the 2.0T. My first Euro/German vehicle so I am unfamiliar with oil reqs.

The sticker says VW 504 0W-30. I was under the impression that grade doesn’t matter as long as it meets the 504 spec. Am I off base? It looks like I can find Castrol 504 5W-30 for a decent price at Walmart, but the 0W-30 seems harder to find short of the dealer.

Is the 5W-30 a warranty-ok substitute as it meets the 504 spec?

Thanks.

I don't see why not. If something were to happen to the engine, it's not like they would test the oil remnants lol. If you're really losing sleep over it, Walmart sells Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 that has the viscosity and approval that you're looking for but I can't imagine the difference in viscosity between a 0 weight and 5 weight going to make-or-break anything.

Any of the oils below would be a good fit for your application.
M1 ESP 0W-30 - MB 229.31 / MB 229.52 / PORSCHE C30 / VW 504 00 / VW 507 00
Motul Specific 0W-30 - PORSCHE C30 / VW 504 00 / VW 507 00
RAVENOL VSW 0W-30 - VW 504 00 / VW 507 00
ATLAS.jpg

VW 504 is VW 504, no worries. They will all be 30 grades yes the dealer's is 0w30 but it makes no practical difference unless you live in the Arctic.

The Castrol jugs via Wally's is the best price going on VW 504 I know of. You can catch Mobil on sale at Napa for a decent price once in a while too. My dealer will sell the Genuine VW/Audi stuff for about 6 bucks a quart on line which isn't bad if you need it.

VW 504 is VW 504, no worries. They will all be 30 grades yes the dealer's is 0w30 but it makes no practical difference unless you live in the Arctic.

The Castrol jugs via Wally's is the best price going on VW 504 I know of. You can catch Mobil on sale at Napa for a decent price once in a while too. My dealer will sell the Genuine VW/Audi stuff for about 6 bucks a quart on line which isn't bad if you need it.
$6 is really not bad price.

I have the 3.6 V6 in my Cross Sport and it calls for the same VW504 0W30. I am currently running Ravenol VSW. I'm not so much tied up on the weight but will certainly observe the VW504 spec. I've been using it since the purchase of my 2015 Passat TDI.

So for some years the VW 504 factory fill was Castrol. Then I heard it went to Mobil. Who is it now?

No clue what VW dealers sell in NA, however "VW LongLife III FE 0W-30" European VW dealers sell is made by Shell and same as Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30, which is (or at least has been for several years) exact same stuff as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, same as VAPSoil 507 00 0W-30 and again same as Penzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. Perhaps that makes for some confusion. All GTL based and VW 504 00 & 507 00. While I'd prefer M1 ESP 5W-30 for its lower Noack in a TSI engine I'd run AV-L/ECT/ PPELX with confidence.

original-vw-longlife-iii-fe-0w-30-motorenoel-original-gs55545m2eur-1l-3bc.jpg

VAPSOIL_50700-p2wj2ff3fnfe9auy4nuf876dxpad9vhwnzx2vh4ukq.png

Which Castrol has that approval? I looked for that on the castrol website for the 2.0T and it just said no recommendations.

So for some years the VW 504 factory fill was Castrol. Then I heard it went to Mobil. Who is it now?
AFAIK, Castrol was the factory fill for a while, but they most recently switched to Mobil. The bottles changed to Mobil 1 bottles and I believe the SKUs changed too.

Which Castrol has that approval? I looked for that on the castrol website for the 2.0T and it just said no recommendations.

Professional OE LL-IV I believe it was called, something like that, but it was only available through VW dealers, and not anymore since VAG switched to Mobil.

The dealer VW 504 0w30 is a dead ringer for Mobil 1 ESP 0w30. Almost surely the same, there is not enough demand for VW 504 to make it worthwhile to create another brew just to sell at Napa IMO. VOA's / UOA's look the same as well.

I just sent in a UOA of Genuine VW / Audi 504 the 0w30 stuff on a 10,200 mile run. Looking forward to seeing how it held up, there's a recent UOA on here where short tripping whipped it pretty badly. My use is about 95% highway you couldn't be much nicer to an oil.

Back