VW 1.8T Oil Report on Castrol Syntec 5W-50 on 18 500 Mile Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Considering it's a new motor (and nicely modified too!) and you ran it in the wintertime, I think those wear numbers are excellent! I would've thought 5w50 would've shown much higher engine wear in winter than that.

Patman, thanks for the reponse. Interesting you say that 5W-50 would've shown much higher wear. The '5w' designation should be adaquate for the colder temps is it not? I expected my internals to be worn in (broken in) by 18 500 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Why was this engine rebuilt at only 77k miles?

I bent rod #1 with a 30 psi spike on a GT2871R causing the stock piston skirt to kiss the oil squirter...the next day I decided to rebuild with stock 81mm Wisesco pistons with Pauter rods.

-

-

-

-

quote:

Ouch!
shocked.gif

To be honest with you...since reading your thread on Castrol 5W-50 and saw how clean your motor was in the pics I decided to try it
smile.gif

The oil that I used previous to this interval was Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (made in Belgium) but unfortunately did not get the chance to send it in for anlysis.

quote:

Originally posted by DonR:
Looking at the oil report I can understand where the wear numbers are a bit above uni averages from having this sample taken on oil used in the severe cold winter months aside from it being rebuilt. I guess I can attribute these values from having the car idle for 1/2 hr every morning and every evening before departing work for home.

May I ask why you idle the car for 1/2 hour in the morning and again in the evening? Seems a bit excessive to me and you'd likely decrease your fuel dilution if you eliminate all of this needless idling.

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:

quote:

Looking at the oil report I can understand where the wear numbers are a bit above uni averages from having this sample taken on oil used in the severe cold winter months aside from it being rebuilt. I guess I can attribute these values from having the car idle for 1/2 hr every morning and every evening before departing work for home.

May I ask why you idle the car for 1/2 hour in the morning and again in the evening? Seems a bit excessive to me and you'd likely decrease your fuel dilution if you eliminate all of this needless idling.

I completely agree with you, but I guess at the time I was more interested in warmth and comfort to get in and go when departing for work or home in -15°C to -20°C temps. A little neglagence to say the least on my part but after reviewing the results I'm going to refrain from doing the same next winter.

My compression tests have been consistant since the build at 185 psi across all 4 cyl.

quote:

To be honest with you...since reading your thread on Castrol 5W-50 and saw how clean your motor was in the pics I decided to try it [Smile]

Please keep in mind that my engine is a normally aspirated V6 with a larger sump than your I4 turbo engine.

quote:

Please keep in mind that my engine is a normally aspirated V6 with a larger sump than your I4 turbo engine.

True, I also use the bigger OEM VW/Audi filter.

Perhaps the dual ball bearing system of my turbo can also attribute to some of the higher metal contents.

-

You can cut your idling time in half with coolant and/or oil heaters. This way, the car could be plugged in at home(no idling needed) and only idled at work(luxurious heat for the ride home during the winter).

Bent rods suck. But, I guess thats the price to pay for fun. 320 whp out of a 1.8L is awesome.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
You can cut your idling time in half with coolant and/or oil heaters. This way, the car could be plugged in at home(no idling needed) and only idled at work(luxurious heat for the ride home during the winter).

Bent rods suck. But, I guess thats the price to pay for fun. 320 whp out of a 1.8L is awesome.

I think that's a good idea...Going to look into a block heater this coming winter
smile.gif

Hi gents, this is my 1st time posting but I've been an avid reader of these forums for a while now and I appreciate your input.

Motor has been rebuilt 18 500 miles ago with upgraded Rods, pistons c/w new rod end bearings on my 320 whp VW 1.8T.

-

I'll send a sample of the mobil 1 5W-50 currently running now to see how it goes @ the next interval.

Thanks,

Don R

quote:

Patman, thanks for the reponse. Interesting you say that 5W-50 would've shown much higher wear. The '5w' designation should be adaquate for the colder temps is it not? I expected my internals to be worn in (broken in) by 18 500 miles.

Even though it is rated as a 5w oil, signifying it should be ok for cold winter temps, I believe this oil just barely qualifies as a 5w when new, and I also therefore suspect it would end up turning into a 10w partway into the interval. I also remember seeing the viscosity at 40c of this oil somewhere in the past, and it was a lot thicker than most 5w oils.

More guys with modded 1.8ts should look at Syntec or other 5w-50s as an answer to high oil temps and sludge issues. My well-regarded BOSCH mechanic stocks Syntec 5w-50 by the drum(s) and swears by it. He drives a UrS6 with 26lbs boost and sees his share of 1.8ts. He puts it in all customer cars that call for synthetic, not that is a good thing for mild street cars, but it works excellent in some apps. Rock on.

[ July 05, 2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Auto-Union ]

did you make it home with that bent rod?? you're lucky if you were able to save the block. If it had snapped, you would have been left with a pile of metal.

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:
did you make it home with that bent rod?? you're lucky if you were able to save the block. If it had snapped, you would have been left with a pile of metal.

I bent the rod from the test run after isntalling the turbo upgrade and made it back to the shop to tear down the motor for upgraded internals.

Quote:

Hi gents, this is my 1st time posting but I've been an avid reader of these forums for a while now and I appreciate your input.

Motor has been rebuilt 18 500 miles ago with upgraded Rods, pistons c/w new rod end bearings on my 320 whp VW 1.8T.

Castrol_5W_50_Oil_Report_18_500mi.sized.jpg

I'll send a sample of the mobil 1 5W-50 currently running now to see how it goes @ the next interval.

Thanks,

Don R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back