VR1 30wt valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per valvoline website, this 30wt has high Zn/Ph (if I recall 1300), but the bottle says it meets "SM"? I thought SM oils had to meet lower ZDDP requirements or am I way off on this? I'm trying to find oil for my '67 mustang with flat tappet.

thanks

It's possible that the website is outdated. There are other options for your car, namely 15w-40 HD or the Mobil 1 HM oils that are rated SL.

yeh, I'm running a 15W-40 right now, I was just trying to find a straight 30wt, happy with 40 overall, the biggest thing I notice with the 40wt is higher oil pressure.

Doesn`t VR1 come in SAE40 weight? I think I`ve seen it in 10W30,20W50,SAE30,40,and 60.

I`ve always been very happy with Valvoline oil. As a matter for fact,I recently switched from being an avid M1 user back to a dino Valvoline user.

Would VR1 be something that you could use for a street driven car or something dedicated to track duty only?

Just curious...

VR1 is fully streetable, per Valvoline's website. They have other, track only oils.

I think the oil can meet the SM wear standards without meeting the zddp limits if it is stated on the bottle, not actually in a donut symbol. If you look at it, probably qualified to meet certain of the SM standards only. My bottle says it "exceeds API services SM/SL/CD." But it does not say that it meets GF-4.

Best bet would be a VOA.

The upper phosphorus limit (0.08wt% max) on API SM oils is only for ILSAC grades (0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30). Other grades such as monogrades, or 10W-40's 20W-50's etc can exceed the 0.08wt% and still be licensed as API SM.

Originally Posted By: Valvman
The upper phosphorus limit (0.08wt% max) on API SM oils is only for ILSAC grades (0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30). Other grades such as monogrades, or 10W-40's 20W-50's etc can exceed the 0.08wt% and still be licensed as API SM.

Finally we have someone with the correct answer!!
I was waiting for someone else to say this and would have expected a couple of the poster's above to get this right considering the proclivity of the postings.
33.gif
28.gif

But if the 10w30 VR1 does not sport the ILSAC logo does it still have to limit zddp? Or does sm alone only pertain to wear protection? I always thought that without the starburst and dount symbols, the oil could have more zddp.

BTW, my bottle of VR1 is SAE60, so no help on the 10w30 question.

I just looked at the currently posted (thought dated 2006) product data sheets on this oil. All have 1300 ppm zinc and 1200 ppm phosphorus listed. All but the 10w30 say SM. The 10w30 is rated SH. Actually the SAE 60 is unrated, no SM, no anything.

I didn't realize there would be a formal test. Darn, just when I was in the market for a racing strait 60, but it HAS to be "SM"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back