Vortex canti mount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets talk about the Vortex Sport cantilever mount. The cross threads on the pic rail are black oxide steel bolts 8-40 which thread into aluminum threads. This screams galvanic corrosion to me, but I don't see any mention of anti seize or thread locker on the vortex product info. I'm thinking a dab of anti seize would prevent galvanic corrosion while allowing it to snug up nicely. Since the bolts aren't load bearing (there is a recoil lug) they really shouldn't loosen up and an occasional snugging wouldn't hurt. What would the proper torque spec be for an 8-40 steel screw into aluminum blind threaded hole, though?

Also, any thoughts on options to replace the original flush setting torx head screws with something that would sit proud? I really like the nuts that Leupold used on their older IMS 1 mounts as they would work well with a regular wrench/socket very well and even had a slot ot use a screw driver or coin, etc, in a field setting.

Vortex Mount
[Linked Image from vortexoptics.com]

Leupold IMS
[Linked Image from media.midwayusa.com]

Originally Posted by bubbatime
You get what you pay for.

Thanks? The Vortex is generally considered to be a good quality product and is priced accordingly. Not TOP tier but not economy grade or amazon/ebay garbage.

Originally Posted by buck91
Originally Posted by bubbatime
You get what you pay for.

Thanks? The Vortex is generally considered to be a good quality product and is priced accordingly. Not TOP tier but not economy grade or amazon/ebay garbage.

It had a made In china sticker on it, I believe, lol! The vortex sport mount is not a very solid item, but should be fine for the casual plinker. If you're talking about galvanic this and that and blind hole and torque spec, you really dont strike me as this customer.

Vortex takes a $20 Chinese mount and marks it up to $100. They do the same thing with their Chinese red dots and Chinese scopes. I bet you can find the same mount on Alibaba for 1/5th the price.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
If you want a top quality mount, CADEX makes one, but it isn't cheap. I have it on my .338LM.

Why Cadex?
What optic and platform?

I use Nightforce and am a gas gun fan, so AR platform for me, and really like Badger Ordnance's C1 mounts.

Originally Posted by Ws6
If you want a top quality mount, CADEX makes one, but it isn't cheap. I have it on my .338LM.

Why Cadex?
What optic and platform?

I use Nightforce and am a gas gun fan, so AR platform for me, and really like Badger Ordnance's C1 mounts.

Platform is a CADEX rifle in my case. Why CADEX? Because they make an excellent product here in Canada, hence my recommendation. I've also owned the Leupold mount in the OP, and it was a reasonably high quality unit for the price. The OP didn't mention what his application was, but I'm using a Vortex Gen II Razor in 4.5-27. I have the level top on the rear ring as well.

http://www.cadexdefence.com/products/weapon-accessories/unitized-scope-rings/

Originally Posted by Ws6

Why Cadex?
What optic and platform?

Platform is a CADEX rifle in my case. Why CADEX? Because they make an excellent product here in Canada, hence my recommendation. I've also owned the Leupold mount in the OP, and it was a reasonably high quality unit for the price. The OP didn't mention what his application was, but I'm using a Vortex Gen II Razor in 4.5-27. I have the level top on the rear ring as well.

http://www.cadexdefence.com/products/weapon-accessories/unitized-scope-rings/

Makes sense to ue cadex on cadex.

Any chance you're active or retired military or LEO?

If so, Leupold Core offers a substantial discount and the Mark 4 IMS cantilever is $120. For that price, I wouldn't bother with the Vortex.

That said, I've got the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 and bought it with the mount for about $350...via GovX. (Great deal. GovX sells discounted name brand products to military.)

At that price, I'm not worried about either the scope or the mount. They've held up well in the year+ I've owned and used them. I didn't do anything special with them. I torqued to spec with my scope mount screwdriver.

UTG makes some great mounts now. i bought one for my strike eagle and its solid. the machining is great as is the finish.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Leapers-AIR11834-Accu-Sync-Picatinny/dp/B07752QYWR/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NTxBRDxARIsAHyp6gCAzUHc0qiDVT2eQVZth73aF9kL35sREc7lwztsrXaKiy6pTJc35_caAu2uEALw_wcB&hvadid=397066189128&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033329&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17583616447033234737&hvtargid=kwd-386667072191&hydadcr=9660_9895650&keywords=utg%2Bpro%2Bscope%2Bmount&qid=1580597921&sr=8-3&th=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back