"Volvo (USA) Recommends Castrol (synthetic)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GC4lunch:
That platform was developed by Mazda (which is not owned by Ford as Volvo is, but Ford owns about 34 percent of Mazda which gives Ford control under Japanese law) as the Mazda3, and was "borrowed" by Ford to replace the aging former S40.

Disagree.
The Mazda3/Focus (C1) platform has been coodeveloped by Ford and Mazda, being an updated version of the first generation of the Ford Focus platform that has been designed by Ford Europe without any Mazda contribution.
Therefore the new platform can be considered a knock off of a Ford design, not Mazda.

The Mazda6 platform is pure Mazda.

[ September 13, 2006, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: avette ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Unlikely. BP's ARCO gasoline is the worst in the West.Ken

What is the basis for your statement?
I beg to differ.
ARCO is a fine chain.

[ September 13, 2006, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: avette ]

quote:

Originally posted by avette:

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Unlikely. BP's ARCO gasoline is the worst in the West.Ken

What is the basis for your statement?
I beg to differ.
ARCO is a fine chain.

I respectfully disagree. I've had to deal with too many cars not running well with it.

quote:

Originally posted by GC4lunch:

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
The S60 is NOT based on the Fusion chassis, or any other FoMoCo or PAG common design for that matter. The S60 is its own, completely-Volvo-designed, chassis.

It shares that chassis with the S80, the V70, and the XC90, however.

quote:

It was the last Volvo-designed platform before the takeover, and will remain so unless Volvo gets sold. 2007 appears to be the last year for the current S60/V70 platform.

The rumor mill says the S60 is toast; I've heard no death knell sounded for the V70 or S90, yet.

quote:

The current S40 is a shared corporate chassis.

That platform was developed by Mazda (which is not owned by Ford as Volvo is, but Ford owns about 34 percent of Mazda which gives Ford control under Japanese law) as the Mazda3, and was "borrowed" by Ford to replace the aging former S40. Interestingly, Ford borrowed the larger Mazda6 platform for its own Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln Zephyr, and Ford Edge, and the even larger Volvo P2 platform for the Ford Five Hundred sedan and Ford Freestyle station wagon.

quote:

The S80 is a stretched version of this platform.

The 1999-2006 S80 is the original platform from which the S60 was derived (as well as the current V70 and XC90). The 2007 S80 is, indeed, a stretched Mazda3.

Let's not forget that the new Ford 500, Ford Freestyle, and Mercury Montego ahare the S80 platform. Ford started moving toward those models shortly after they bought Volvo. Ford was "mining Volvo Gold".

I'm not going to reply to every post individualy. Based on the news reports I've read, and also interviews of Ford executives - this is my understanding. It is a partnership between Ford-Mazda-Volvo. The work is divided up between the three companies engineering groups. So everybody is a little incorrect. Even though Mazda did the lion share of the work on the mazda 3, Ford and Volvo both had input on the chasis and other major component work. Ford and Volvo designed other parts of the car, each individual company has "tweeked" the base architecture for its own needs when badged as their brand. Ford foucus and volve s40.

From a business standpoint this is "smart" business and nobody is stealing anything from anyone. Its a win-win for everyone involved in every single part of the chain from production to owner.

Then there's the owners that want nothing to do with the works of this company or that, either because of past experiences and/or the review data. I suppose those potential owners find themselves in a pickle.

How have the product reviews been trending when a big corp. buy's out the other and assumes a parenting role over them? I guess it's nice though that the small group is still around - well sort of.

dunno.gif

Progress.

I wonder if it would make headlines if I recommend an oil? Somehow I doubt it, so, I'll just keep my recommendations to myself!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back