Volkswagen of America, Pathetic Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
another reason to be wary of VW.

THat said, all car manufacturers can be difficult including toyota, honda, etc.

Agreed, but Toyo's and Honda's don't break as frequently as VW's, so one doesn't need to rely on warranty repairs nearly as often with some of these other brands.

they are right about the TSB not having to be performed. and a lot of times the paper manuals are incorrect as there are updated procedures. not saying what they did was right, just pointing some stuff out.

I understand what you're saying, but putting the wrong glow plug into the car and then refusing to correct it is no way to treat a car still under factory warranty. Especially when there is a TSB in force at the time in question which details the factory recommended response to the repair. Why would they just disregard it? Why wouldn't they want to repair the fault in the factory approved way, i.e. comply with the TSB?

you would think. i am so glad i only rarely deal with VW. our local dealer annoys me to no end. the whole engine code them they use baffles me.

I have had exactly the opposite experience with my VW's and Audi's over the years. All were very reliable and i have a great dealer. I will say that you need to follow the maintenance schedule religously. Keeping the car in top shape increases your ownership satisfaction dramatically! Definitely not a car for people who like to ignore the owners manual or not listen to the dealers suggestions. You may be happier with a Toyota or a Kia. That's not meant as a knock, VW's are not for everyone...and that's just one of the reasons i like 'em!

Dude, I have played by the rules. 505.01 oil at recommended intervals, all scheduled maintenance performed by... me. Parts bought @ this dealer. Receipts for all. I researched the PD TDI's (2004- 2006) on TDIClub prior to purchase. I am very competent at performing regular maintenance on the TDI. I did bolt on mods on my Vette when I had it. Wrench turner from way back. Did you not read my reference in the linked post to the Factory Service Manual?

Sorry, but you struck a nerve there.

LR, is it possible to use another VW dealer in your area? They can be like night and day. I know it's it's tough NOT to blame the manufacturer when all you have is a shoddy privately owned and operated dealership, but a great dealer can make all the difference.

Joel

Last edited:
That's terrible. I'd never set foot in that dealership again and never buy another VW if I were you, but once it's fixed you may get over your distaste enough that you can like your car while still avoiding VW out of principle.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
Definitely not a car for people who like to ignore the owners manual or not listen to the dealers suggestions.

If I truly had to listen to dealer suggestions, I'd avoid that manufacturer like the plague! My Mazda dealer thinks I need to have oil changes done by them every 2500 miles and about $500 worth of service every 15k miles. Fortunately, my car has no problem with me only following the recommendations in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: harley145000
vw wont be here long

I remember a mechanic at a friends father's shop saying that in about 1959. He was waxing on how superior his Oldsmobile was to a VW. Do you remember Oldsmobile?

Originally Posted By: XS650
vw wont be here long

I remember a mechanic at a friends father's shop saying that in about 1959. He was waxing on how superior his Oldsmobile was to a VW. Do you remember Oldsmobile?

HAHAHA!!! I think that pretty much hits it on the head...

vw wont be here long

You don't watch the stock markets much, do you?

More stupid soccer moms purchase "veedubs", at their premium price, with mediocre quality. Eventually, when they all start dying within the next five years, the VW stock will tank - I'd put money on it - elsewhere.
wink.gif

VW is not here now. it's already happened. Their quality control went south years ago and their customer service has never been comparable to any major Asian brand. The parts prices are a joke since most of their parts are either Mexican made or China. I advise every customer that comes near my shop to avoid them at all costs. Those that don't listen wished they had the first time the Bug starts puking ATF everywhere and they realize there's no Dipstick to add fluid. Ditto for the costs of replacing simple items like batteries,headlamp bulbs ect...
If the quality of their vehicles was so tremendously high I could understand(somewhat)the arrogant attitude of VOA but lets face it;they just ain't all that by a long shot.
Personally,I'd bail out of that thing so fast it'd still be rolling by the time I was in a good car. Sometimes, we all have to take our losses and move on. AND tell as many folks as we can about how trashy we were treated.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
...The [VW] parts prices are a joke since most of their parts are either Mexican made or China...

Where are you getting your information?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
...The [VW] parts prices are a joke since most of their parts are either Mexican made or China...

You wouldn't want to go there.
grin2.gif

from wadefredrick1's dad at the junkyard?

Originally Posted By: XS650

You wouldn't want to go there.
grin2.gif

It's just that I've done a lot of work on my GTI over the years, and other than air filters and maybe a bulb or two, I don't think I've run across any parts that came from China or Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back